The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2015/16 Masteron Trophy nominees?

Gurn

Inspired by Dan Hamhuis and his return to the game tonight.

The Bill Masterton Trophy

The Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey. The winner is selected by a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association after each team nominates one player in competition. It is often awarded to a player who has come back from career– or even life-threatening illness or injury.

Contenders:

Dan Hamhuis

Jagr

Hamhuis over McDavid all day, and that's not my homerism coming out. They both suffered bad injuries and worked hard to come back, but the severity and potential career ending nature of Hamhuis' injury combined with his attitude and determination to come back and play is really something else. I'd say Hammer and Jags are the two frontrunners.

6 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

The Masterton Trophy is rarely given to players who truly deserve it. It's the least accurate NHL award.

I read the Wiki page on the trophy, and it lists every winner and the reason they won.

Simply judging from that, it seems like all the winners deserved it in my opinion. The only questionable one was Dubynk last season. Everyone else overcame very serious situations to play the game they loved.

If Hamhuis comes back strong and remains on the team past trade deadline, I think he has a solid chance to win it.

3 hours ago, Justdean10 said:

I wouldn't be surprised is McDavid wins.. especially if he continues with his progress. 

I wouldn't be surprised or mad about it. He's already playing like he didn't miss extended time to injury. Special kid. But of course, Hamhuis will always get my first vote.

Archived