The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elephant in the room - Hank and Danny

kingofsurrey

Team is losing.  All players pretty much are not contributing. I think all players can be held accountable.

Lets look at our 2 highest paid players on the team. Hank and Danny.

Decent season so far but as the year finishes up their production seems to be slipping. 

2 more years for each at 7 mil per year. NMC / NTC .   They do we lose them as UFV 's or retirement - no assets returned to us.

Calgary traded their most loved player in Iggy.     What do we do ? Leadership starts  at the top.  Hank and Danny  " ARE " the canucks franchise right now.. Total class guys. 

How do we go forward with the twins ? Are they top line next season ? Are they top line in  2 yrs ?  Do they retire as canucks ?  Can they be moved as part of the rebuild ?   We can't ignore the Elephant in the room. 

Elephant in the room

Idiom Definitions for 'Elephant in the room'

An elephant in the room is a problem that everyone knows very well but no one talks about because it is taboo, embarrassing, etc.

Benning and Linden have kind of said what a lot of us feel: these guys are different: the Sedins decide when they are done; we don't trade them. They retire here. 

The only debate I can see worth having is: do they re-sign in 2 years, and how is this handled.  Both Sedins seem to want to become the core of a new second line, i.e., decline gracefully, help with the rebuild.  This is admirable.  Burrows, Edler, even Hamhuis are different: almost the same amount of cap space and money, and not the same significance in this transition.  All three with the possible exception of Hamhuis -- who could have a role comparable to the Sedins -- can be "Higginsed."

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Team is losing.  All players pretty much are not contributing. I think all players can be held accountable.

Lets look at our 2 highest paid players on the team. Hank and Danny.

Decent season so far but as the year finishes up their production seems to be slipping. 

2 more years for each at 7 mil per year. NMC / NTC .   They do we lose them as UFV 's or retirement - no assets returned to us.

Calgary traded their most loved player in Iggy.     What do we do ? Leadership stops at the top.  Hank and Danny  " ARE " the canucks franchise right now.. Total class guys. 

How do we go forward with the twins ? Are they top line next season ? Are they top line in  2 yrs ?  Do they retire as canucks ?  Can they be moved as part of the rebuild ?   We can't ignore the Elephant in the room. 

Elephant in the room

Idiom Definitions for 'Elephant in the room'

An elephant in the room is a problem that everyone knows very well but no one talks about because it is taboo, embarrassing, etc.

I think that is exactly right. Those guys will probably be given a scouting job in Sweden or some other job in the org when they retire. They have been great but the team around them was not tough enough.

What elephant in the room?  elephant in the room means something unspoken but obvious.

The twins have come out and stated what they want, benning has come out and stated what he wants as has linden and even aqualinni.

Twins will retire as Canucks, will maybe take a final deal of 2 years at $5 ish million per.

That's it.  If you want to trade them say so, don't beat around the bush.  With them at least this team is exciting, without them we're more boring than a wild vs yotes game 82 games a season.

The Sedins are to Vancouver, what Jagr is to Florida;

A mentor(or in our case, MentorS) That has been there, and done that, they are 2 of the classiest, most talented players the franchise has ever seen, All Star appearances, every type of pressure you can possibly imagine faced, and are fantastic community leaders as long as they feel they can contribute to the Vancouver Canucks in a positive manner, they will be a part of the Canucks Organization; It would be a tremendous mistake to let them go anywhere until we have something resembling a "New Core" in place.

No elephant at all, they are 35 years old, and are wearing down as the season progresses. Until recently they have been playing the most minutes among the forwards, and with their cycle game, those are hard minutes. Sadly we don't really have any top line talent to relieve their workload. Hank still looked injured and slower than usual last night. I think WD should be limiting them to 16 minutes a game, and playing the other three lines more.

The team needs to gel again, for Sutter and Hammer, this is like training camp. Last night Hammer looked rejuvenated to me, but Sutter doesn't look like he's close to what he was before the injury. Vey's line was by far our best unit. I didn't notice if Hartley did any matching against Bo's line, but they weren't very noticeable. Sadly the only time I'm noticing Vrbata these days is when he does something wrong, like makes a bad pass or turnover, or shoots wide. I also wonder if Bo isn't also getting a little worn down. He is after all only 20 and has shouldered a tremendous load this year. His minutes per game are way up over last season.

I think they've made a valiant effort against enormous odds, but from here out it's all downhill. 

48 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

What elephant in the room?  elephant in the room means something unspoken but obvious.

The twins have come out and stated what they want, benning has come out and stated what he wants as has linden and even aqualinni.

Twins will retire as Canucks, will maybe take a final deal of 2 years at $5 ish million per.

That's it.  If you want to trade them say so, don't beat around the bush.  With them at least this team is exciting, without them we're more boring than a wild vs yotes game 82 games a season.

Yes indeed.  The only thing I'd add is that they're essentially untradeable so the whole question is moot.  How many teams have the cap space to take both of these guys?  Of those, how many are in the market for expensive veteran players near the end of their careers?  Alternatively, how many bad contracts would we be willing to take in return to expand the list of interested teams?  These questions pretty much answer themselves. 

Though all parties have stated what they currently want, I guess to answer the question.  IMO, it should be up to the Sedins in what they want.  Sure, that isn't the greatest business decision but I think with the Sedins it goes beyond just a business decision.  They have shaped the Canucks and given us fans amazing hockey to watch for 15 years.  Personally as a fan I feel a complete alliengence to them.  If they want to stay a Canuck until retirement then the Nucks should make it happen.  If they want a trade and a cup, then best wishes.

That being said, I think it's pretty obvious they will retire as Canucks.  They are Canucks through and through and we have been so very lucky to watch them go from rookies to the formidable and classy stars they are.

If these guys want to play at 45with a league minimum contributing a hard 8 minutes a game on the third line while he kids bang around, so be it.  Sign them.  They have given so much to this franchise, you say yes every time.  I can say this because these are reasonable men.  They aren't going to push the envelope further than they need to.  I see another short term (2-4 years) maxcontract with a smaller cap hit, hoping to have a crack at the cup with a new younger more energized core.  We owe them that.  

All four of these guys will go out that way.  Burrows by virtue of his path in, Hansen by his tenacity.  The guys called him the honey badger for a reason.

With proper asset management the Sedin's should have been elite second liners for us at this point in their careers. What they have done and continue to do on the ice at their age is nothing short of remarkable.

Keep in mind Hansen is not the ideal first line winger.

Normally I'm all for moving the team forward but in the Sedins case we roll with them until they retire. No two individuals have done more for their communities or club than these two. Absolute class in every way, shape, and form. They are the role models that we want the young Canucks following. 

Sedins have earned the right to retire as Canucks. Total class and great players if they want to continue after this contract Benning should make it happen. I do not support trading them unless that is their decision. The thing is these guys are so classy they would probably accept a trade to help us.

I think it would be disrespectful to ask them, they owe the canucks nothing and I have no issue missing out on some draft picks to keep them Canucks as long as they want to be.

If they stick to the end, they should be the only 2 non checking players on the team. Turn over the leadership to grit, speed, physicality and let them continue their magic until they want to retire. Not this year or next but the year after they should be treated as elder, i.e. no leadership duties. Until then, toughen up Nucks, you are embarrassing to watch bend over constantly.   

Iginla was to become a UFA at the end of that season so you're not comparing apples to apples here.

Feaster said at the time: it was a difficult decision to make, but it became a necessity when he realized he could not sign Iginla, an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, to an extension.

The twins will either retire or take much less to play here after their deals are done. In an ideal world, the twins would ask JB to trade them in their final year so the team could at least obtain some assets, with the understanding they'd re-sign in the summer for much less.

Archived