The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is Benning playing his cards right?

Bobby_Lu1ngo

11 hours ago, westcoast said:

Imo Bennings strength thus far is his eye at the draft........he best be stockpiling picks because he doesn't seem to be a free agent or trade wiz.

I like Benning but I also said that 6 weeks ago.

His saving grace on the trading floor is he doesn't sweat his mistakes, he just keeps the turnover rolling. In truth we haven't lost much DESPITE what some on here would say, so when he brings what turns out seemingly to be a flop, it was just a roll of the dice and he moves on.

I'm with Jim. :P

19 hours ago, Nd1989 said:

I'd say wait till the deadline , if the team keeps sinking and the appropriate players don't get moved then I will be worried, at this point keeping vrbata makes absolutely no sense when a guy like shinkaruk could really benefit from some nhl experience.

Jim has said he wants be patient with Hunter. Let him learn how to score in the AHL so he doesn't lose his confidence if he doesn't up in the NHL.

15 hours ago, gameburn said:

Not sure I agree with your assessment of what the starting D suggests in the way of an intentional tank, but I agree: draft/TDL are going to be huge in particular this year, and I believe you may be right about Edler and the other vets.  The key moments in this season for suggesting what the BIG PLAN might be, were: (1) Hutton, Mac and V. making the team; (2) dumping Higgins, and then Prust and Weber.  The latter is the key: Benning is willing to cut his losses and remove the deadwood, whatever the cost.  I suspect that Burrows and Edler are closer to the Higgins treatment than we would expect. If as I suspect we pick up 2 D this draft that can actually start next season (not unreasonable with Sergachev, Juolevi, Chychrun, Stanley, Girard and Day in the mix), then Edler and other marginal D we have now can be traded/waived in the Summer/Fall.  We could start fresh next year with: Biega and Hutton, Tanev and Sergachev/Chych, Girard and Hamhuis.  A mix like that. 

Are you serious!? Waive Edler? He would defiantly be picked up and he is a valuable asset.

33 minutes ago, Lastresort318 said:

Jim has said he wants be patient with Hunter. Let him learn how to score in the AHL so he doesn't lose his confidence if he doesn't up in the NHL.

Almost 2 full seasons in the ahl, I'm strictly talking about bringing him up for maybe the last 10 games if the Canucks are out of playoff contention and putting him in a situation to succeed , second line minutes and some power play time.

but another playoff run with Utica might be just as crucial for his development so you might be right.

16 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Damned rights hyped prospects.

How's Bo-Sang doing again Mr. Knee Jerk Reaction?

HaHa Yup should have kept Bo-Sang???? Wasn't he going to be the next saviour of the nucks?????Getting tired of coming on CDC and reading the same posts from the same disgruntled posters about how terrible Management our, So much doom and gloom, one more year and all of GMMG NTC should be off the books and then Benning can really do what he wants 

I would like to see the Canucks go hard for Brent Seabrook in the offseason.  BC boy, has had unparalleled success in his career, and can mentor our young D.  I would like to see Benning focus solely on the BDA.. best defenseman available in (at least) the first three rounds of the draft this off season.  This is the weakest branch of this organization, and because they take the longest to mature, the real next golden years are further off than most fans think.

9 minutes ago, xereau said:

I would like to see the Canucks go hard for Brent Seabrook in the offseason.  BC boy, has had unparalleled success in his career, and can mentor our young D.  I would like to see Benning focus solely on the BDA.. best defenseman available in (at least) the first three rounds of the draft this off season.  This is the weakest branch of this organization, and because they take the longest to mature, the real next golden years are further off than most fans think.

He just signed a new, long term deal.  Seabrook is going nowhere

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He just signed a new, long term deal.  Seabrook is going nowhere

Ugh, guess I should have delved deeper than TSN's free agent list.

Anyhow, my point is still out there, that regardless of how they draft for even a few years, the Canucks are going to need UFA help on defense, and soon, as it is easily the Achilles heel of the organization.  The cupboards are bare coming up the ranks, other than filler depth.  I think they should be looking at drafting and developing as many D as possible in the next 3 seasons, so that at least a couple future top 4 guys emerge.

54 minutes ago, xereau said:

Ugh, guess I should have delved deeper than TSN's free agent list.

Anyhow, my point is still out there, that regardless of how they draft for even a few years, the Canucks are going to need UFA help on defense, and soon, as it is easily the Achilles heel of the organization.  The cupboards are bare coming up the ranks, other than filler depth.  I think they should be looking at drafting and developing as many D as possible in the next 3 seasons, so that at least a couple future top 4 guys emerge.

I agree. The most glaring issue on this team is the defense. The majority of the defensemen on this team excel at nothing and are merely depth. 

Sbisa while serviceable would never be a top 4 defender on a legitimate team. 

The closest formation the Canucks have to a top four is:

Edler Tanev 

Hamhuis Hutton 

That being said, both of those pairings are very good secondary (3-4) pairings, and not legitimate top pairings.

If Benning wants to create a winning environment for young defensemen to play in, he will have to break the bank and trade for a true number one.

Otherwise, this defense will continue to be the soft, porous, and underskilled mess that it presently is. 

i think I'll reserve judgement for until after this trade deadline. Last year holding on to to the free agents proved to help with getting into the playoffs. When you look at all the bottom teams gunning for McDavid, Vancouver was not going to have a chance so why not go for the playoffs. This year things are a little different, they have a young team, there are many holes in their play and playoffs seem to be a fading. So this year I hope he makes some moves but not to the extent of getting rid of everyone from the old era.

5 hours ago, Lastresort318 said:

Are you serious!? Waive Edler? He would defiantly be picked up and he is a valuable asset.

So was Baertschi when we picked him up.  But not to Calgary.  They thought they had enough small, quick forwards.  What I'm saying and I'm probably too optimistic here, is that when we get 2 top end D this Draft, which I think  we will, players move down the depth chart, and players who move down the depth chart who are paid as much as Edler is become relatively expendable.  I'm probably wrong, but I think this team is on the verge of a breakout year, probably next year, on the outside, the year after.  When this happens, the Mgt's willingness to be ruthless will allow Pedan or Tryamkin or Subban or the 2 potential gamechanger young D to play regular minutes and for vets to be dumped.  Just like the problem we have with a surplus of forwards, we will be on the verge of the same problem with D as soon as next December.  If you keep Tanev, Biega (both under contract) and Hutton and possibly Hamhuis for mentorship, along with Sbisa you only have SPACE for 2 or at most 3 more D.   If 2 of the gamechangers (say Sergachev and Sean Day) and one of Pedan, Tryamkin or Subban make it, Edler is redundant.  Too slow, too limited. Just like Higgins and Prust: still an NHL player, but no space or need for him.  Mgt would certainly try to trade him first, but if there is no interest you have to waive him.  The world has changed here in Vancouver and much of the league: the Cap is really starting to hit home; that and the quality of the young players is so much better now.   We're at the stage of the rebuild where things are accelerating.

On February 7, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

I've been thinking about some of the things Benning has said over the past year and specifically more recently and have to say I'm not sure he is executing very well. 

Holds on to richardson and matthias at last years deadline when he should have moved them.

Moves lack (could have been miller leaving mor cap) and bieksa for lower picks than he thought he would get admittedly.

Brings in prust and bartkowski, reups weber, all ufa at seasons end. Fails to find trading partner for any so far although still has a few weeks. Add higgins to the list too. 

Failing to execute on these smaller moves still makes a difference in my opinion.

Most recently he has said they are not buyers but hasnt said he will be a seller either. Priority being he wants to make the playoffs for young guys development and that trumps everything else. Is this a safe approach to take? Is it better that they make the playoffs barely and get manhandled immediately? Would that teach them more than missing the playoffs altogether and learning that missing the playoffs can be the difference of losing a few games throughout the season that should have been wins and slipped away by effort alone. Would that not be a better lesson? Would it not be better for them to be watching the playoffs on tv and thinking what could have been if only they had tried a little harder. Would it not be better to have them feel it and know they never want to be on the outside looking in again? Amidst this having the opportunity to potentially draft a top 5 cornerstone player?

I understand pleasing ownership but publically saying this when we are clearly missing the playoffs will fuel the fire for those that are on the do all you can to make the playoffs train. Will ownership look at it like he failed to make the playoffs when that was what he was trying to accomplish and at the same time failing to make the trades for the future. Essentially landing in the middle and therefore accomplishing neither. A huge part of 2011 happening was on the back of a terrible season that led to us getting the sedins. We spent years meddling on the brink of the playoffs and never coming out with cornerstone players besides kesler as a late 1st.

I believe that this deadline is going to be a very important part of Bennings future here. I dont think if he doesnt make trades of our vets and we miss the playoffs by a few spots he will be fired this summer but it will be something that will be on his record as a failure shortening the leash in the next few seasons.

He has made a few trades such as baertschi and sutter that i think were very good trades. Even Kesler deal was decent with all things considered. So this is not just to roast him but more to point out the importance of this moment in time towards the future of the team. The potential is there that by the end of the summer we could set up our future and team for next season to be back in the hunt with the right moves. Can Benning make it happen?

What are others thoughts?

Miller has been very good for us and probably very helpful to marky s development. Lack would not have been the better choice. We didn't need cap this year, we needed a bonafied pro to help with the development of our future goaltending.

We are talking about a an Olympic Mvp and best Olympic goaltender silver medalist , Vezna trophy  , hobey baker  , bastien memorial trophy award winning AHL and 2 time NHL Allstar goaltender with a .923 save percentage a year before we got him( blues season aside), that still holds all time wins record for a 46 year old franchise. I think he was the better option to help mold markstrom then a good backup goaltender that has yet to even play a full season as an NHL starting goaltender.  Especially with demko in the system, Lack was redundant. Miller is not only playing more games this season with better numbers , he has more to offer markstrom. 

We don't sign the player with the best Twitter account , we keep the best fit for where the team is at overall 

4 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Trade Mcann and our 1rst at the draft for the first overall pick and Defenceman

Draft McMatthews

we are loaded at centre anyways

McMatthews > Mcann

plus we get a defenceman

win win

Yeah that would be great but I highly doubt that 1st overall will be traded. Especially if it goes to toronto or columbus. They both need a #1 centre as well more than anything. I think our only chance at 1st would be if we had a top 5 pick and either buffalo or edmonton won the lottery.

Buffalo has reinhart and eichel at centre. They could use a winger or dman so if we traded them a good winger prospect like shink with #5 maybe you have a shot. Edmonton mcdavid nuge and draisatl could go with a dman at 5.

On Sunday, February 07, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

I've been thinking about some of the things Benning has said over the past year and specifically more recently and have to say I'm not sure he is executing very well. 

Holds on to richardson and matthias at last years deadline when he should have moved them.

Moves lack (could have been miller leaving mor cap) and bieksa for lower picks than he thought he would get admittedly.

Brings in prust and bartkowski, reups weber, all ufa at seasons end. Fails to find trading partner for any so far although still has a few weeks. Add higgins to the list too. 

Failing to execute on these smaller moves still makes a difference in my opinion.

Most recently he has said they are not buyers but hasnt said he will be a seller either. Priority being he wants to make the playoffs for young guys development and that trumps everything else. Is this a safe approach to take? Is it better that they make the playoffs barely and get manhandled immediately? Would that teach them more than missing the playoffs altogether and learning that missing the playoffs can be the difference of losing a few games throughout the season that should have been wins and slipped away by effort alone. Would that not be a better lesson? Would it not be better for them to be watching the playoffs on tv and thinking what could have been if only they had tried a little harder. Would it not be better to have them feel it and know they never want to be on the outside looking in again? Amidst this having the opportunity to potentially draft a top 5 cornerstone player?

I understand pleasing ownership but publically saying this when we are clearly missing the playoffs will fuel the fire for those that are on the do all you can to make the playoffs train. Will ownership look at it like he failed to make the playoffs when that was what he was trying to accomplish and at the same time failing to make the trades for the future. Essentially landing in the middle and therefore accomplishing neither. A huge part of 2011 happening was on the back of a terrible season that led to us getting the sedins. We spent years meddling on the brink of the playoffs and never coming out with cornerstone players besides kesler as a late 1st.

I believe that this deadline is going to be a very important part of Bennings future here. I dont think if he doesnt make trades of our vets and we miss the playoffs by a few spots he will be fired this summer but it will be something that will be on his record as a failure shortening the leash in the next few seasons.

He has made a few trades such as baertschi and sutter that i think were very good trades. Even Kesler deal was decent with all things considered. So this is not just to roast him but more to point out the importance of this moment in time towards the future of the team. The potential is there that by the end of the summer we could set up our future and team for next season to be back in the hunt with the right moves. Can Benning make it happen?

What are others thoughts?

Weber was a mistake=agreed

Bart was a decent signing for the bucks

Prust was a product of unloading kassian.

Trading two centers like richardson and Mathias was not an option but Mathias should have been traded. Agree with you on that.

I would have traded miller over lack in a heartbeat.

He did well on the kesler deal.

McCann will be just as good as kesler alone. 

12 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Weber was a mistake=agreed

Bart was a decent signing for the bucks

Prust was a product of unloading kassian.

Trading two centers like richardson and Mathias was not an option but Mathias should have been traded. Agree with you on that.

I would have traded miller over lack in a heartbeat.

He did well on the kesler deal.

McCann will be just as good as kesler alone. 

Matthias had an up and down season last year.  He was playing great, and looked like he was turning into something on LW when he was concussed against the Leafs (of all teams).  He wasn't the same afterwards.   I think that Benning hung on to him in hopes that he would regain form.  He never did and although he looked perfectly fine, he was did not raise his game at all down the stretch and in the playoffs.  This is the time when Benning takes the measure of a player.  He was heading for free agency and it was feared that with his 18 goals, he would command big bucks despite his mediocre performance to end the season.  Benning let him go.

20/20 hindsight says that he should have been traded but the big fast winger who they had for 6 weeks is right in Bennings wheel house and who can blame him for hoping that guy would come back.  He still hasn't come back btw and looks like he's headed for free agency again this year.

I think that Jim's doing a fine job.

He's convinced many that the team is pushing for a playoff spot, while in fact the team is tanking in plain view.

His coach is rolling four lines every night, playing everyone like this is an atom house team. After tv time outs in the offensive zone, out comes which ever line is up next; while the Sedins sit and wait.

The Hawks, Kings, and other good teams all succeed by playing three lines and 4 d. The others only get spot duty.

The real plan here is to be competitive every night, but fall just short often enough to land a top five pick. 

WD has last his security blankets in Prust, Higgens and Weber and he may lose a few more of his trusted vets.

WD will be out of the picture in a year or two, and we should have enough talent to play the game the way that successful teams do. 3 lines an four top defensemen.

I have faith, but I would like to see some movement on the acquisition of a quality defensemen or two.

Getter done JB

Archived