The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Decision Time Is Now or Is It Already Made? Ramblings.

TheGuardian_

Last night the media guys were talking about Calgary needing to win 20 games to get to 92 points, the estimated number to have a crack at the post season.

If 92 is the number to get a crack then the Nucks need something like 40 points in 30 games. While not impossible it is 10 points over .500 or they need to go something like 20 wins and 10 losses or some combination of wins and pity points but essentially equalling a  .667 point percentage. They also have to pass 4 other teams ahead of them.

As they currently have been a borderline .500 points team and have a bad record vs western division teams and even worse record vs pacific division, most of their wins are vs eastern division teams.

The idea that they are doing nothing for another three weeks IS a decision in itself. I mean, who are they fooling? To expect this "older" core to suddenly start playing and beating younger teams that are in a similar boat or even closer to making the show is "hoping" beyond reason.

This is still a one line team with a couple of kids, Horvat and Baertschi, starting to make an impact, should the team put an immense amount of pressure on them to suddenly step it another notch?

Does anyone see Etem and Vey suddenly over taking Horvat and Baertschi in scoring? If not for Burrows with them they would be scored on nightly. And Etem is fast?????Then Vey must be lightning because he caught and passed Etem within about five strides last night. Apart from Jagr, I haven't seen Etem drive the net like Virtanen or Horvat or skate away from a dman for a break away like Hansen.

Sutter and Dorsett are pegged to have a new winger every other game or so putting huge pressure on these two to produce consistently.

AND THEN there is the coach, in a scrum Henrik quietly suggested that shaking up the lines might help, think on it, a suggestion in the media from a Sedin, really, from a Sedin is more than a suggestion it is questioning the coaching. Is this going around the room to the point where the Captain says something?

Maybe the decision has already been made, maybe it was made long ago when Vey and Etem were brought onto the team instead of giving Guance and Shinkaruk NHL ice time.

Certainly at this point most fans recognize that the Nucks will not win 16 of 24 games and not likely to win 4 of 7 vs a team 20 or 30 points head of them.

The players won't give up, more than a few know whatever they do will get them a gig in the NHL somewhere or not if they don't at least look energetic nightly.

At this point the team should restrain Virtanen's games to less than 39 for the season and giving McCann a rest is not a bad idea.

But the idea of waiting to see what happens over the next 3 weeks before making moves, well, Montreal, Toronto and to some extent even Winnipeg are starting to eye up Mathews even the media in Montreal are talking the team should "tank" to get premier draft picks.

Has the decision already been made? Lets look at games played,

Markstrom didn't lose the net, he is the back up but....he won't see much more ice time, Miller isn't playing badly though so this isn't as big an issue.

The team is down by a goal so.......out come Vey and Etem, combined 3 goals,

Home ice line matching, Ferland is running amok on the Sedins, the Sedins are turning away from possible checks and changing their game, so the team keeps putting the Sedins out vs Ferland. The team sent Prust to the minors so they can replace him with Etem, Sbisa got handed his as$ but tried, Ferland was not impressed or worried that Etem would stand up for his teammates or for that matter, just about any of the others and due to the astute line matching, Dorsett only saw Ferland when one or the other was at the end of a shift, not that Dorsett should take that beating again but Prust did handle him somewhat.

No time outs?

The media guys, the ones that most listen to, suggest that the team that makes the first moves in a trade before the deadline, often get the best deals on top notch players. That Higgins, Prust and Weber didn't get picked up or moved doesn't mean anything, they are all "depth" type players picked up on TD day and the Nucks can move them easily by retaining 1/2 their salary. That they are in the minor now is a bonus because whoever takes them doesn't have to make room on the NHL roster and can add them for the playoffs.

The decision is on the bigger two and I wouldn't doubt Hansen.

Edmonton, with the return of McDavid, looks to move up the standings, their fans expect to see improvement, Calgary, the same. Anaheim is expected to have a good challenge for the cup and could use a Hamhuis.

Hamhuis is Vancouver's big chip, Vrbata not so much but... and Hansen, this Danish army knife, what a return could they get for this guy? Penalty killer, fights occasionally, speedy forechecker, hits, and play up and down the lineup, durable and very very cheap. A first? A grade a prospect? Drouin? Hamonic?

Scrap out the rest of the season, take a really good draft pick, if Hansen goes, bring up Kenins, If Hamhuis goes, bring up Fedun, if Vrbata goes, bring up Guance, if Vey goes, bring up Cassels, if Etem goes, Shinkaruk.

Colorado wasn't very good and then along came Roy, instant turn a round followed by a bad season and now they are in the show and playing a better all round game.

When is WD's contract up? Coaches out there, Oates, Crawford,....

In three weeks the big deals will already be done and then it is merely trying for a couple of 5th rounders.

Hey what ever happened to the 2nd rounder the Nucks got from Columbus? It doesn't show up as a Canucks pick. Did the league make them give it back?

What is frustrating to me and has been this way for a while is one line will be pressing for goals. (I.e. Etem's line last night). But then the other 3 lines try but generate very little in terms of scoring chances. The next night it's the Sedin's. The next night Horvat and Baer. Is there a reason we can't improve scoring on say 2-3 lines a night? Are we too young? Strategy? I really despise dump and chase, because we waste more time retrieving the puck instead of just attacking the opposition. 

With all due respect, OP,  "the decision" may never be announced publicly.  It's all about what deals are actually available, and we don't have access to that information.  Being too obviously and openly ready to deal assets doesn't maximize their value.   With that said, of course we should be sellers, just discretely.

Columbus has the choice of whether to give the Canucks their 2nd pick this year or next.  Since they are dead last in a strong draft year, I can guess that they'll get it next year.

You say a lot and I'm not going to address everything. 

I don't expect them to make the playoffs.  The comments from management about making them were from before the Columbus game.  2 losses later and 2 more nails in the coffin.  They are still going to play hard every night.  There are roster spots to be won or held on to.  No tank.  Sorry tankists.

Trading for Etem was pure opportunity.  It is the sort of trade that Benning has been looking for with this team (Vey, Baertschi, Bartkowski, Pedan etc).  It wasn't planned for but in the mean time, Etem looks good with Vey and we'll see where it takes them.  Jensen was a virtual bust.  I can't understand why the Rangers made the deal.

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What is frustrating to me and has been this way for a while is one line will be pressing for goals. (I.e. Etem's line last night). But then the other 3 lines try but generate very little in terms of scoring chances. The next night it's the Sedin's. The next night Horvat and Baer. Is there a reason we can't improve scoring on say 2-3 lines a night? Are we too young? Strategy? I really despise dump and chase, because we waste more time retrieving the puck instead of just attacking the opposition. 

Dump and Chase in today's NHL is merely playing not to lose to badly, eat up as much clock time possible.

In theory the possession game should garner more power plays, the team with the puck the most should always get more PP time. 

I don't think it's quite that dire. Although you make some good points. If Canucks could just trade Vrbata and find a way out of Burrows contract (trade, buyout), that would be huge. Trading Hamhuis then signing him back for a discount would be cool too. The team IS going to have some growing pains. That's inevitable. If we're going to have growing pains and a bad stretch though, why not bring in the guys like Shinkaruk who look like they're ready for the jump? If your team isn't a serious competitor, it doesn't matter much about having a heavy veteran presence. The Sedin's,  Sutter, Dorsett, and Hamhuis is plenty enough to guide the rookies in the right direction.

I don't see us making a push for the playoffs. The way this years draft lottery looks, if the Canucks end up in the bottom 8 we have a legit chance to get a top 3 pick. The only way I see benning not making deals at the deadline would be iF the Canucks start to string some wins together. I don't see that happening. The Canucks are making the decision easy. Just keep losing and we will be sellers. But I agree, I am not a fan of vey and etem line. Willie seems very biased to his Medicine Hat players, you see it often with vey, etem and dorsett. They get more ice time than they deserve. But so far that's dragging us down the standings, so I don't mind. This years draft has amazing talent in the top 7, I don't see the point in missing out on that for a first round playoff exit. 

I apologize for being all over the map with the thread, I didn't feel that two or three new threads need be made covering the various subjects touched on.

I don't think the Canucks could/would get Mathews as a lock if they finished last, although their chances would be better and after watching the prospects game I don't think there are too many "franchise" super stars out there, although Pierre-Luc Dubois looked pretty impressive and those Finnish kids Jesse Puljujarvi and Laine can play.

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I apologize for being all over the map with the thread, I didn't feel that two or three new threads need be made covering the various subjects touched on.

I don't think the Canucks could/would get Mathews as a lock if they finished last, although their chances would be better and after watching the prospects game I don't think there are too many "franchise" super stars out there, although Pierre-Luc Dubois looked pretty impressive and those Finnish kids Jesse Puljujarvi and Laine can play.

Id rather have laine or puljujarvi over Matthews. Just have a feeling they will turn out to be studs. Even if we get a bottom 5 pick we will be guaranteed at least Juolevi or chychrun 

It's not decision time yet, that will come at the deadline. The 3 weeks in between is an audition for expiring contracts, to either improve and make this team competitive - or fall off and get traded at the deadline when teams are most interested. 

I still hold out hope that this team can turn it around. I wouldn't put too much blame on WD, he's put out a very young team while dealing with lengthy injuries to key players. 

I was going to make a post similar to this earlier today, but couldn't quite find the words.

Basically what I wanted to say is that the season is over, and has been since the end of December.  The whole "we might make the playoffs" thing is a lie and is quite honestly a real insult to those that closely follow this team.  Management is delusional if they think its a possibility, and the whole "assess the situation as we go" thing is quite literally just fluff.

I want to see an industrial scale house cleaning start as soon as possible.

Its well known that the first moves made at the deadline, usually yield the best return.  I sure hope Benning has some moves up his sleeves, because a 6 to 10 pick is NOT what this team needs this off season.

I want to see a full on uber tank from here to April.

If we go to Markstrom right now we still have a shot, with Miller we do not. I say this is the only real issue. And we can still trade Vrbata, Miller and Hammer at the deadline and we will still have a shot.

JUST PLAY MARKSTROM!!!!!!

RE: OP

Because public statements are true indicators of what is happening behind the scenes? People need to relax and comprehend what is actually happening. Benning and co. are focused on development first and foremost. They can't just throw the young guys to the wolves and expect them to develop properly, they need to surround them with vets for protection and let the young guys develop at their own pace. Things are going well in my opinion...if Benning keeps drafting the way he has and these are the "bad years" then it beats watching a bunch of no names play for 5 years while the team "re-builds". 

2 minutes ago, aliboy said:

If we go to Markstrom right now we still have a shot, with Miller we do not. I say this is the only real issue. And we can still trade Vrbata, Miller and Hammer at the deadline and we will still have a shot.

JUST PLAY MARKSTROM!!!!!!

3 goals in 3 games isn't too great either

This team is a lot better than it has shown in the last few games,but I'm certainly not getting that sense of urgency in their play that tells me that they are a 'playoff team'.

When you fail to deliver against the Bluejackets and Flames,you can hardly call yourselves legitimate....

Archived