The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Dustin Byfuglien's contract affects the Canucks

Goat James

So, with Big Buff off the market Dan Hamhius is suddenly the best possible rental d-man. Hammer's on the last year of the six year deal signed in 2010, and there's a few cup contenders that may want to add a solid second pairing defenseman (Washington, Pittsburgh). 

I know that we kinda need Hammer here, but if we could flip him for a first and a decent prospect it'd be totally worth it. Anyways, I this is the first time in a long time that the Canucks have this kind of leverage.

Makes hammer more valuable possibly. One less good D man in the mix. 

He probably has the most value among our tradeables  so Jim better not screw this one up. Let's just hope GM s think this season was just a bad one and he still has something left in the tank 

1 minute ago, The Game said:

So, with Big Buff off the market Dan Hamhius is suddenly the best possible rental d-man. Hammer's on the last year of the six year deal signed in 2010, and there's a few cup contenders that may want to add a solid second pairing defenseman (Washington, Pittsburgh). 

I know that we kinda need Hammer here, but if we could flip him for a first and a decent prospect it'd be totally worth it. Anyways, I this is the first time in a long time that the Canucks have this kind of leverage.

This is assuming he maintains the level of play he did vs the Flames, of course. I hope we trade him, the playoffs are unlikely. Will Hamhuis agree to waive though? 

13 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

This is assuming he maintains the level of play he did vs the Flames, of course. I hope we trade him, the playoffs are unlikely. Will Hamhuis agree to waive though? 

I'm sure GMJB could swing it.

Edit: Personally, I'd like to see him traded, and then we sign him back in the offseason

1 minute ago, CanuckianOne said:

I'm sure GMJB could swing it.

Edit: Personally, I'd like to see him traded, and then we sign him back in the offseason

Agreed. I wouldn't mind having him back. But at a discount on a shorter term. Like 3.5 for 2 years. Maybe try and swing even less, like 3 per, with the understanding he plays 3rd pairing as a mentor to up comers with less minutes. I know I'd feel safer giving guys like Subban, Fedun, Tryamkin, and Pedan a tryout on the big club if we had Hammer on the other side.

7 minutes ago, Lockhart said:

Some people on the radio were throwing out Hammer for Ritchie. 

I'd love to see that

Ritchie Horvat Virtanen

Talk about a tough line that's hard to contain.

Yeah, I heard that as well and almost pee'd myself at the thought. 

One can easily argue now that Buff is signed that Hammer is in the top two of d-men potentially available at the deadline. A Hammer for Ritchie deal straight-up is exactly up JB's alley and something I could see happening. From Hammer's standpoint, he stays on the West Coast (for family reasons), gets to play with a Cup contender and his best buddy Juice.

As they mentioned on the radio show, JB has little interest in trading assets for picks, preferring to get players already two or three years into their development.

11 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Yeah, I heard that as well and almost pee'd myself at the thought. 

One can easily argue now that Buff is signed that Hammer is in the top two of d-men potentially available at the deadline. A Hammer for Ritchie deal straight-up is exactly up JB's alley and something I could see happening. From Hammer's standpoint, he stays on the West Coast (for family reasons), gets to play with a Cup contender and his best buddy Juice.

As they mentioned on the radio show, JB has little interest in trading assets for picks, preferring to get players already two or three years into their development.

Anaheim, where Canucks fan favourites go to retire. Lol.

6 minutes ago, homersexual said:

The Canucks need Hamhuis for the playoff push. If Benning trades Hamhuis, next years D will looks like the Oilers. Does anyone here really want Sbisa to be a top 4 D?

1st round exit? lol this is it dude, management is never going to get a better chance to save some years off the rebuild which is looking like atleast 5year process due to many of our prospects developing into two way guys. This chance they have is to get a solid prospect and picks, you can't get a better chance then that, I am willing to sacrifice one years playoffs for a solid pick. Hopefully Benning doesn't think like you, sorry dude, but I hope he doesn't if Benning doesn't move Hammer he will be ran out of town in 2 years. MARK it down. Media will never forget this nor will the fanbase after the seasons over. The expectations for the Canucks' fans is not 1st round exit, its cup or bust!

2 minutes ago, homersexual said:

The Canucks need Hamhuis for the playoff push. If Benning trades Hamhuis, next years D will looks like the Oilers. Does anyone here really want Sbisa to be a top 4 D?

Sbisa is a top 4 D with or without Hamhuis. 

We're 5 points out from being 30th in the league, keeping Hamhuis and passing on the high end prospect or draft pick we'd get in return is a huge mismanagement of assets. And what if we miss anyways? Trade Deadline is still like 6 weeks before the actual end of the season, it's not like we'll actually know much more about our playoff chances than we do right now. On Feb 29th, we'll still be a few points out.

6 minutes ago, homersexual said:

We aren't good enough as a team to compete or perhaps even make the playoffs.

Too much inexperience toppled off with stale veterans.

Just now, TheRussianRocket. said:

If Yandle were made available, Rangers would demand pieces which would help them now. Canucks would want futures.

Big difference.

Pretty much this unless the Rangers feel confident in their defense or believe they can find another player that can help them else where.

Idk why the would want to trade Yandle though. He was good for them last playoffs and again this season.

So send Hamhuis to Anaheim.  Maybe Anaheim pries Luongo out of Florida, then maybe we send Anaheim Burrows and Higgins.  Anaheim will be the closest we as Canucks fans get to a cup, sort of, in the next 5 years! 

All kidding aside, I smell a bidding war coming.  With Big Bufflo out of the picture now maybe 2 or 3 teams go after Hamhuis - especially if one of the contenders get a top 4 injury on the blue line!

Archived