The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Dustin Byfuglien's contract affects the Canucks

Goat James

3 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

So send Hamhuis to Anaheim.  Maybe Anaheim pries Luongo out of Florida, then maybe we send Anaheim Burrows and Higgins.  Anaheim will be the closest we as Canucks fans get to a cup, sort of, in the next 5 years! 

All kidding aside, I smell a bidding war coming.  With Big Bufflo out of the picture now maybe 2 or 3 teams go after Hamhuis - especially if one of the contenders get a top 4 injury on the blue line!

Canucks start throwing their body into the knees of defenders for the rest of the month. If there is no market, create one. Haha

1 hour ago, The Game said:

So, with Big Buff off the market Dan Hamhius is suddenly the best possible rental d-man. Hammer's on the last year of the six year deal signed in 2010, and there's a few cup contenders that may want to add a solid second pairing defenseman (Washington, Pittsburgh). 

I know that we kinda need Hammer here, but if we could flip him for a first and a decent prospect it'd be totally worth it. Anyways, I this is the first time in a long time that the Canucks have this kind of leverage.

Haha sweet! Just woke up & turned on CDC. Your post informed me big Buff gave his John Henry. So I go to TSN & see Pietrangelo is also on the shelf.

Market might just heat up a tad...

50 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Agreed. I wouldn't mind having him back. But at a discount on a shorter term. Like 3.5 for 2 years. Maybe try and swing even less, like 3 per, with the understanding he plays 3rd pairing as a mentor to up comers with less minutes. I know I'd feel safer giving guys like Subban, Fedun, Tryamkin, and Pedan a tryout on the big club if we had Hammer on the other side.

that is just about the biggest slap in the face ever.  While we're at it why don't we ask him to tank his new team?

"hey Dan we know on a good day you can be our best d-man, and we always have injuries every year, so how about we pay you crap, and give you crap minutes because you have been a good foot soldier and we think we should repay you by treating you like garbage. Oh ya and we are trading you to a cup contender for a 1st so if you wouldn't mind just tank them so we get a better pick. K? thanks."

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

the league is forcing benning to lay his cards down lol  Playoffs are a bust as most suspected would be.   Hamhuis might get a decent return.  I wouldn't count out Florida on interest in the Hammer.

Drive up that cost! Need one of them speedytalkin'auctioneers! Can poor Jimbo handle jugglin' rapid trade-rap?! :^)

Hamhuis would likely sign with any team close to home, Edmonton, Calgary, San Jose maybe even Anaheim or LA. Winnipeg might be too far but with flights in Canada and no customs...

Butt signing really does improve the market but a cup contender just might wait till the deadline, whereas as a playoff contender might go early now.

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

that is just about the biggest slap in the face ever.  While we're at it why don't we ask him to tank his new team?

"hey Dan we know on a good day you can be our best d-man, and we always have injuries every year, so how about we pay you crap, and give you crap minutes because you have been a good foot soldier and we think we should repay you by treating you like garbage. Oh ya and we are trading you to a cup contender for a 1st so if you wouldn't mind just tank them so we get a better pick. K? thanks."

Not sure if you've paid much attention to deals made in the past but it's totally common, even expected, that a player gets a reduced rate and term for a twilight contract. Hammer has had 2 severe injuries in 2 years and he's 32 years old. He's not getting a 4.5 million reup for 5 years outta anyone.

2 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Not sure if you've paid much attention to deals made in the past but it's totally common, even expected, that a player gets a reduced rate and term for a twilight contract. Hammer has had 2 severe injuries in 2 years and he's 32 years old. He's not getting a 4.5 million reup for 5 years outta anyone.

I agree he should not get 4.5 for 5 but he could get 4.5 for 2 or 3.  And that wasn't my point. You never tell a guy you are going to limit his minutes to 3rd pairing. Are you going to offer him a wheel chair as a signing bonus?

These guys have pride, what you are offering is the kind of offer to make him look else where.

9 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

So send Hamhuis to Anaheim.  Maybe Anaheim pries Luongo out of Florida, then maybe we send Anaheim Burrows and Higgins.  Anaheim will be the closest we as Canucks fans get to a cup, sort of, in the next 5 years! 

All kidding aside, I smell a bidding war coming.  With Big Bufflo out of the picture now maybe 2 or 3 teams go after Hamhuis - especially if one of the contenders get a top 4 injury on the blue line!

Agreed unless roman polack is the guy u covet lol. I could for sure see a bidding was especially if he continues to play like he did against the flames. personally never liked Ritchie and would rather have gauunce. How many times this poor guy does everything that is asked of him yet still never gets a chance. id much rather assuming a bidding war takes place was 1s and bowey or the hammer for dallas.1st plust honka maybe we have to add? I'm not sure what his current value to them is. or hammer for ducks 1st if they have it still plus a rfa like vatanen. we all know jb keeps track of that srtuff and knows it might be tough swing to get him and lindholm signed. Plus the emergence of shea makes one possibly expendable and I doubt its lindholm  if they have no 1st well then they will have to pull something off cuz if what pundits say is true it will take a 1st and an A prospect besides to lazy to check but have ritchies numbers been that good? especially if u throw in the fact hammer might decide to stay there next season adding even more to his value. conditional of  course. any thoughts on who we should be targeting? jb must be doing a little dance now that buff is off the market

1 minute ago, lmm said:

I agree he should not get 4.5 for 5 but he could get 4.5 for 2 or 3.  And that wasn't my point. You never tell a guy you are going to limit his minutes to 3rd pairing. Are you going to offer him a wheel chair as a signing bonus?

These guys have pride, what you are offering is the kind of offer to make him look else where.

I was more considering Hammer's hip injury he opted out of surgery for and now the metal plates in his face. A less role is something he might want. Willie was saying in one interview they had talked to Hammer about if he planned to return to hockey at all

1 hour ago, Lockhart said:

Some people on the radio were throwing out Hammer for Ritchie. 

I'd love to see that

Ritchie Horvat Virtanen

Talk about a tough line that's hard to contain.

Trading a reasonably solid d-man for a forward might not be the best move for the club considering d is where they seem to be lacking the most at the moment.

If the Canucks looks to be out of it, I like the idea of trading him and trying to bring him back in the off-season.

The flaw in this plan is that some teams seem to throw some crazy money at free agents, especially d-men so unless Hammer really wants to take a home team discount (again) to re-sign then I doubt we could get him back.

3 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

If the Canucks looks to be out of it, I like the idea of trading him and trying to bring him back in the off-season.

The flaw in this plan is that some teams seem to throw some crazy money at free agents, especially d-men so unless Hammer really wants to take a home team discount (again) to re-sign then I doubt we could get him back.

But Hammer didn't take a discount. He got 4.5 million to be a 2nd pairing D man. Even now (when the average contract is more than it was when he signed), that's still good money.

24 minutes ago, Quoted said:

Trading a reasonably solid d-man for a forward might not be the best move for the club considering d is where they seem to be lacking the most at the moment.

Unless management feels confident they can resign Hamhuis in the summer in which case they would aquire a solid forward for the small price of losing Hammer for the brief remainder of a lost season. 

1 minute ago, davydgoliath said:

Unless management feels confident they can resign Hamhuis in the summer in which case they would aquire a solid forward for the small price of losing Hammer for the brief remainder of a lost season. 

Agreed. I guess I was assuming he would re-sign but that's not based on anything.

5 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

But Hammer didn't take a discount. He got 4.5 million to be a 2nd pairing D man. Even now (when the average contract is more than it was when he signed), that's still good money.

I'm pretty sure that he was offered more by Philly after they traded for his rights and then others on UFA day.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2010/07/01/2010-nhl-free-agency-dan-hamhuis-signs-with-vancouver-canucks/

2010 NHL Free Agency: Dan Hamhuis signs with Vancouver Canucks
By NBC SportsJul 1, 2010, 4:16 PM EST

The Vancouver Canucks are committed to improving their defensive corps this season and with several defensemen set to become UFA’s next summer, they are now set for the next few seasons. After acquiring Keith Ballard from the Florida Panthers, the Canucks have now won the Dan Hamhuis sweepstakes.

The Canucks were the frontrunners for Hamhuis for most of the day, however several teams jumped in on the talks and caused his price to raise just a bit.

Hamhuis signs a six-year contract worth $4.5 million per season, which is somewhat reasonable considering some of the contracts being thrown about today. The length is a bit interesting, but at $4.5 million that’s right in line with the market that’s been created today.

There’s also some thoughts that Hamhuis took a bit of a discount to go to Vancouver, where he’ll be the top defenseman and be regarded as a cornerstone for the franchise moving forward.

1 minute ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I'm pretty sure that he was offered more by Philly after they traded for his rights and then pthers on UFA day.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2010/07/01/2010-nhl-free-agency-dan-hamhuis-signs-with-vancouver-canucks/

2010 NHL Free Agency: Dan Hamhuis signs with Vancouver Canucks
By NBC SportsJul 1, 2010, 4:16 PM EST

The Vancouver Canucks are committed to improving their defensive corps this season and with several defensemen set to become UFA’s next summer, they are now set for the next few seasons. After acquiring Keith Ballard from the Florida Panthers, the Canucks have now won the Dan Hamhuis sweepstakes.

The Canucks were the frontrunners for Hamhuis for most of the day, however several teams jumped in on the talks and caused his price to raise just a bit.

Hamhuis signs a six-year contract worth $4.5 million per season, which is somewhat reasonable considering some of the contracts being thrown about today. The length is a bit interesting, but at $4.5 million that’s right in line with the market that’s been created today.

There’s also some thoughts that Hamhuis took a bit of a discount to go to Vancouver, where he’ll be the top defenseman and be regarded as a cornerstone for the franchise moving forward.

Well maybe we're both right then. The article does say his deal was at market value. So he maybe turned down an overpayment to play in Van. Is turning down an overpayment for a market value deal on your desired team taking a discount though? That's a whole other debate lol.

Archived