The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Dustin Byfuglien's contract affects the Canucks

Goat James

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Top pair I reckon. Didn't bring them up because it is a given they'll be top pair next year. Lol. We are talking about filling Hammer's spot.

I don't know if Hammer would be a top four guy next year.  Sbisa and Hutton?  And the two Russian Bears?  Is there a spot for Hammer other than in the bottom three?  He could be a much better Bartkowsky.

The day that Dustin Byfuglien makes more than either Sedin has arrived.

But is he a franchise player?  I don't think he is.  He's not even the best player on the Jets.

This is an interesting business move that might impact Winnipeg's cap structure for a long time, but it might not be used as a prime example across the NHL.  Erik Johnson's contract is quite a bit more appealing, and that might be the standard for this situation.  Brent Seabrook is another one that makes more sense.  Giordano's is another one.  I would honestly take all of them over Byfuglien.

How it affects the Canucks remains to be seen, but it seems that the low Canadian dollar might be playing a factor in contract signings now.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I don't know if Hammer would be a top four guy next year.  Sbisa and Hutton?  And the two Russian Bears?  Is there a spot for Hammer other than in the bottom three?  He could be a much better Bartkowsky.

Hammer is top 4. For sure. Neither Russian is top 6 this year but are top 4 next year? Sure. Hutton has been good for us, not top 4 good. Sbisa has been good, I'd say maybe top 4 if he continues to improve on this year. Biega isn't top 4. It'd be asking a lot for both Sbisa and Hutton to be top 4 for us next season. Neither rxactly excel defensively, not like Hammer.

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Hammer is top 4. For sure. Neither Russian is top 6 this year but are top 4 next year? Sure. Hutton has been good for us, not top 4 good. Sbisa has been good, I'd say maybe top 4 if he continues to improve on this year. Biega isn't top 4. It'd be asking a lot for both Sbisa and Hutton to be top 4 for us next season. Neither rxactly excel defensively, not like Hammer.

Pretty much this. Also when do we not have at least 1 or 2 defenceman out with injuries. Hamhuis is our best defensive d man. He's been paired with our weaker or learning d for the last few years. You take him out and Webber or Bartowski look even worse. Tanev probably couldn't have turned out as well as he did otherwise. Hamhuis has played the offside to get Edler on track. Easily the best d man we have had in years. 

4 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

Dallas and Penguins could be willing to overpay for him

Apparently, not every hipster kid from MTL is a dumbass. Huh

Those two, Florida and Wash seem the most likely destinations, but I'm guessing Dan would prefer Dallas, or even SJ (just throw a curveball). Ana's pretty okay for D I'd say.

1 hour ago, LarsEller said:

Pretty much this. Also when do we not have at least 1 or 2 defenceman out with injuries. Hamhuis is our best defensive d man. He's been paired with our weaker or learning d for the last few years. You take him out and Webber or Bartowski look even worse. Tanev probably couldn't have turned out as well as he did otherwise. Hamhuis has played the offside to get Edler on track. Easily the best d man we have had in years. 

Tanev is one of the best DDM in the league let alone our team. Hutton is already playing in our top4 and will be a top D on this team for a while. Sbisa is a mean 26 year old. 26. that's how old he is. Time for people to start cutting him some slack, lets not drive our only mean, hitting defenseman outta here.

As much as I want to keep Hamhuis with Buff now off the market we'd be stupid not to trade him for a cup contending team. There will be a major bidding war now and if we didn't take advantage we'd be regretting it for a long time to come.

He wants to stay in Vancouver, so he'd probably re-sign in the offseason with us anyways. Not to mention the fact that this guy deserves a chance at a Cup and that won't happen with the Canucks right now in the midst of a rebuild. Let a team overpay for him and then re-sign at 3.5m a year for 2-3 years in the offseason. Win freaking win.

12 hours ago, The Game said:

So, with Big Buff off the market Dan Hamhius is suddenly the best possible rental d-man. Hammer's on the last year of the six year deal signed in 2010, and there's a few cup contenders that may want to add a solid second pairing defenseman (Washington, Pittsburgh). 

I know that we kinda need Hammer here, but if we could flip him for a first and a decent prospect it'd be totally worth it. Anyways, I this is the first time in a long time that the Canucks have this kind of leverage.

I agree that for the first time in living memory it makes sense for the Canucks to trade a vet and probably get a first round pick. And Vrby is probably still worth a second round pick. And there are 4 or 5 excellent players at the top of the draft this year. (And they can still re-sign Hammer in the summer, which I hope they do, in addition to giving him a much-deserved shot at a Cup.)

It is obvious the current team cannot seriously contend for a Cup and is only within reach of a playoff spot because they are in the weakest Division.

I don't think Benning will blow this opportunity to bring some much-needed young talent into the organization in some BS attempt to "develop young guys in a winning environment" or to pretend to be in a race for the last playoff spot.

But we will have to wait and see.

14 hours ago, lmm said:

I agree he should not get 4.5 for 5 but he could get 4.5 for 2 or 3.  And that wasn't my point. You never tell a guy you are going to limit his minutes to 3rd pairing. Are you going to offer him a wheel chair as a signing bonus?

These guys have pride, what you are offering is the kind of offer to make him look else where.

Thanks ,

the devil is in the details my morning coffee is glowing now with your brilliant comments.

if he is not dealt on TDL he Will be resigned closer to your number minus wheel chair bonus .I support this totally ,inthe event he is rented for picks I hope he come back July for exact your kind of offer sheet a pragmatic conservative approach to building

7 hours ago, Mattrek said:

As much as I want to keep Hamhuis with Buff now off the market we'd be stupid not to trade him for a cup contending team. There will be a major bidding war now and if we didn't take advantage we'd be regretting it for a long time to come.

He wants to stay in Vancouver, so he'd probably re-sign in the offseason with us anyways. Not to mention the fact that this guy deserves a chance at a Cup and that won't happen with the Canucks right now in the midst of a rebuild. Let a team overpay for him and then re-sign at 3.5m a year for 2-3 years in the offseason. Win freaking win.

I agree we should trade Hamhuis to a cup contending team.  It's the only way he'd waive his NTC, and we would get a high return that helps us in the long run.  I doubt that Hamhuis would want to come back in the offseason though.  If he's going to a contender, why would he?  Why not stick with them to have a better chance of getting a cup (or more) before he retires?  He's only got a few years window to get that cup.  And I think he'd be willing to forego living at home for a few years to do that.  Especially if the contending team is willing to overpay him way more than the Canucks would.  I think it's better for the Canucks to go all out with the youth movement anyway since they've already started the transition.  Let Hamhuis go.

Archived