The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Dustin Byfuglien's contract affects the Canucks

Goat James

1 hour ago, yes we can nucks said:

I agree we should trade Hamhuis to a cup contending team.  It's the only way he'd waive his NTC, and we would get a high return that helps us in the long run.  I doubt that Hamhuis would want to come back in the offseason though.  If he's going to a contender, why would he?  Why not stick with them to have a better chance of getting a cup (or more) before he retires?  He's only got a few years window to get that cup.  And I think he'd be willing to forego living at home for a few years to do that.  Especially if the contending team is willing to overpay him way more than the Canucks would.  I think it's better for the Canucks to go all out with the youth movement anyway since they've already started the transition.  Let Hamhuis go.

I'm pretty sure Hamhuis would re-sign with the Canucks in a heartbeat.  I know everyone says they want to win a cup when they play that's the 'obvious' goal of every player.  But sometimes, players just value other things more: being close to family/home, playing for the love of the game, collecting a pay-cheque, etc...

Another person who comes to mind is Shane Doan, i doubt he truly believes he'll ever win a cup with Arizona, but he's already made it quite clear he's never leaving.  This is where I slot in Hamhuis, he loves playing in his home province he loves the team, and IF the Canucks were to trade him to a cup contender, i'm fairly certain he'd waive his NTC for the reason of helping out the Canucks as much; if not more, than the chance to win a cup.  Some guys just have different priorities.

23 minutes ago, snipes2539 said:

I'm pretty sure Hamhuis would re-sign with the Canucks in a heartbeat.  I know everyone says they want to win a cup when they play that's the 'obvious' goal of every player.  But sometimes, players just value other things more: being close to family/home, playing for the love of the game, collecting a pay-cheque, etc...

Another person who comes to mind is Shane Doan, i doubt he truly believes he'll ever win a cup with Arizona, but he's already made it quite clear he's never leaving.  This is where I slot in Hamhuis, he loves playing in his home province he loves the team, and IF the Canucks were to trade him to a cup contender, i'm fairly certain he'd waive his NTC for the reason of helping out the Canucks as much; if not more, than the chance to win a cup.  Some guys just have different priorities.

You could be right about Hamhuis.  I hope so.  I do like the guy and think he can still help the team going forward with the youth movement, mentoring the young D.  Ultimately it comes down to whether management wants him.  Will they want to spend millions for a guy who is in the twilight of his career (his skills have obviously declined this season) or will they want to spend the money on younger, competent guys.  If Byfuglien is getting $7.6 mil a year at almost 31 yrs old, you'd have to think Hamhuis, with his experience and rep on the world stage, is going to command pretty crazy money too in the open, limited market.  Some team is going to pay it.  Even at a discount, I don't think the Canucks would do it.  

Archived