DonLever

Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States

16 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

But that million number is utterly ridiculous. 

Haha, wow.  Are you in lala land.

17 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

But that million number is utterly ridiculous. 

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/03/modeling-study-suggests-18-months-covid-19-social-distancing-much

Which path do you think we're following?

That is the institute headed by the guy from the Joe Rogan video and he's been spot on so far and it's based on the Imperial College modelling posted earlier in this thread.  Imperial College is the gold standard for modelling pandemics and is used by countries and the WHO to develop plans to deal with a pandemic.  It's also, allegedly, the report that snapped Trump into reality.

20 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Yep and im sure there are more.. Both sides of the isle. 

In the case of Feinstein. Her husband Richard Blum runs Blum Capital Partners. So he is in the business of buying and selling equities. 

The transaction in question is Allogene Theraputics (ALLO). It's currently trading above where he sold it, So he did not avoid any losses.

Unless there's more to this beneath the surface, sure doesn't sound like there's anything here.

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

In the case of Feinstein. Her husband Richard Blum runs Blum Capital Partners. So he is in the business of buying and selling equities. 

The transaction in question is Allogene Theraputics (ALLO). It's currently trading above where he sold it, So he did not avoid any losses.

Unless there's more to this beneath the surface, sure doesn't sound like there's anything here.

I agree. I also believe that DF keeps her stuff in a blind trust which is a lot better than most politicians who refuse to. I should have mentioned that about Feinstein, despite still thinking that politicians on both sides of the fence engage in shady trading. 

Edited by Ronaldoescobar
  • Hydration 1

31 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

What number would you be comfortable with? It's clear that millions of Americans take Trump's word at face value, so it's likely that at least some of them have contracted the disease, because of his disseminating....

Lets just throw out an arbitrary number: What if it's 1000? Or even as low as 100? Is that number low enough that you feel comfortable saying that it's "no different" than JT?

Well a million Americans won't die. Use whatever number you like and then take a tenth of that for Canada. 

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Haha, wow.  Are you in lala land.

Ya I am lol.

I think your posting in the other thread shows how off the rocker you are.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Let's be honest as long as it's a left-wing politician most in this thread will go out of their way to defend it. It's no difference with the case of Bill Morneau, but imagine if he was a conservative. 

The fact of the matter is there is going to be people on both sides of the aisle that are guilty of this just like Ronald said.

Edited by Ryan Strome

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Let's be honest as long as it's a left-wing the politician most in this thread will go out of their way to defend it. It's no difference with the case of Bill Morneau, but imagine if he was a conservative. 

The fact of the matter is there is going to be people on both sides of the aisle that are guilty of this just like Ronald said.

Well I didn't go out of my way. I am in the industry and was curious. So I took a few minutes to Google it. Turns out her husband is just a crappy investor.

As for the other Senators. They haven't done anything illegal. Is it moral or ethical? That's an entirely different question.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Let's be honest as long as it's a left-wing the politician most in this thread will go out of their way to defend it. It's no difference with the case of Bill Morneau, but imagine if he was a conservative. 

You are right. I am no fan of Trump (I try not to rail on him when he actually makes a positive move in my opinion but do have to be better I admit) as is well known, but I will call out bad on both sides as much as possible. 

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Well I didn't go out of my way. I am in the industry and was curious. So I took a few minutes to Google it. Turns out her husband is just a crappy investor.

As for the other Senators. They haven't done anything illegal. Is it moral or ethical? That's an entirely different question.

Well any of them that dump stocks knowing what they knew is no different than the Finance Minister here doing the same thing when he knew what he knew that has to be insider trading no?

2 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Ya, none of that will happen Rupert.

Lines have been drawn.

I agree. However, that doesn't mean that I won't continue to express my opinion on the matter.

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

You are right. I am no fan of Trump (I try not to rail on him when he actually makes a positive move in my opinion but do have to be better I admit) as is well known but I will call out bad on both sides as much as possible. 

I know you will I wasn't necessarily referring to you. There is criminals in all parties and there is bad people in all parties.

• Hydration 1

9 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well a million Americans won't die. Use whatever number you like and then take a tenth of that for Canada.

So? Some will and it will be directly connected to Trump's initial denial and downplaying of the severity of the issue. That's the point.

You can try and make the point that JT's response was "just as bad", but the fact that he didn't downplay the severity and didn't call it a "hoax", shows that not to be the case.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well any of them that dump stocks knowing what they knew is no different than the Finance Minister here doing the same thing when he knew what he knew that has to be insider trading no?

Honestly I am not familiar with the Canadian law regarding that issue. In the US it is not illegal for a member of congress to trade on inside information. Should be, but it is not.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So? Some will and it will be directly connected to Trump's initial denial and downplaying of the severity of the issue. That's the point.

You can try and make the point that JT's response was "just as bad", but the fact that he didn't downplay the severity and didn't call it a "hoax", shows that not to be the case.

I'm not saying Trudeau's response was as bad as Trump's. But I would say since he decided to take it serious he is probably done the same amount. Everyone can say Trudeau was listening to scientists and doctors but I would argue we were really slow to shut things down. We probably should have followed the Taiwan approach.

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Honestly I am not familiar with the Canadian law regarding that issue. In the US it is not illegal for a member of congress to trade on inside information. Should be, but it is not.

That is incredible that it is not illegal in the United States absolutely mind-boggling. I would think it's illegal in this country I know you guys had a premier whose son got in trouble for it but I suppose he wasn't a cabinet minister or a politician so that Doesn't cover that so yeah I don't know. You are kind of the stock Market guy so you will have to be the one to figure that out LOL

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Hydration 1

16 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Ya I am lol.

I think your posting in the other thread shows how off the rocker you are.

Yeah, how dare I use the crazy ideas of the leading experts in the field of infectious disease when I could use the scientifically sound method of "I feel like it's not going to be too bad" like you do.

Did you read the articles?  I'm asking that seriously, not trying to bait you.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Let's be honest as long as it's a left-wing politician most in this thread will go out of their way to defend it. It's no difference with the case of Bill Morneau, but imagine if he was a conservative. 

Mike Duffy says Hi!

• Hydration 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not saying Trudeau's response was as bad as Trump's. But I would say since he decided to take it serious he is probably done the same amount. Everyone can say Trudeau was listening to scientists and doctors but I would argue we were really slow to shut things down. We probably should have followed the Taiwan approach.

But Boudrias was and you decided to jump into our conversation and back him up, hence our little tete a tete.....

In regards to JT's response: Sure, you can make that argument and there might even be some truth to it. However, in his case, opinion is pretty much all we have, while in Trump's case, we have his actual words and actions as evidence.

Hard to see the two situations as analogous, considering those facts.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah, how dare I use the crazy ideas of the leading experts in the field of infectious disease when I could use the scientifically sound method of "I feel like it's not going to be too bad" like you do.

Did you read the articles?  I'm asking that seriously, not trying to bait you.

Listen you have been on CDC for a while and I have been on here way too long so when this is over and done with let's see if there's a million Americans dead.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

But Boudrias was and you decided to jump into our conversation and back him up, hence our little tete a tete.....

In regards to JT's response: Sure, you can make that argument and there might even be some truth to it. However, in his case, opinion is pretty much all we have, while in Trump's case, we have his actual words and actions as evidence.

Hard to see the two situations as analogous, considering those facts.

Well I will give you that. I honestly was surprised and think I mentioned it in this thread or the other one how nobody within his staff or his team told him that he shouldn't be calling it a hoax or downplaying it. I was really quite surprised how nobody would have had insight to tell him that's not the thing to do. Honestly his initial response was that of North Korea's attitude saying they've conquered it. But to be honest and what is also troubling I heard the Mexican president is downplaying it and calling it a hoax or at least I seen that on the news a few days ago I don't know if things have changed there as well.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Hydration 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well I will give you that. I honestly was surprised and think I mentioned it in this thread or the other one how nobody within his with in his staff or his team told him that he shouldn't be calling it a hoax or downplaying it I was really quite surprised how nobody would have had insight to tell him that's not the thing to do. Honestly his initial response was that of North Korea's attitude saying they've conquered it. But to be honest and what is also troubling I heard the Mexican president is downplaying it and calling it a hoax or at least I seen that on the news a few days ago I don't know if things have changed there as well

The sad thing is that although he's changed his tune (as have the talking heads at Faux News) it hasn't yet resulted in a change of attitude on the part of some of his "true believers". (as shown by the NPR poll I posted earlier)

Hopefully, he continues in that vein and those numbers start to turn around.