DonLever

Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Oh I don't think recent elections have much bearing on whether the First World embraces "left" leaning policies.....

I already noted Trump America and Alberta as outliers and I don't really see Saskatchewan and Manitoba as ideologically all that different from Albertastan. All three are convinced that their respective problems are completely the fault of Justin Trudeau and the Liberal party, rather than anything of their own doing. (Much akin to the Americans who put Trump in the White House) 

As far as Ford goes, he had an abysmal approval rating (in the30% range) before Covid 19 came along and bailed him out.

In any event, what I'm referring to is people's opinions on the "Left", as you so like to put it....

....people like "lefty" policies, like Universal Healthcare, pensions, decent working wages, easier access to education.....

.....heck some "lefties" even support (while not being partiularly happy about) government intervention to help out industry.....such as buying pipelines.....

Bush and Harper apparently support massive bail outs.

Edit as for the approval rating JT has been pretty low so if used against Ford it should be used against JT.

Puts us back at square 1.

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

California has multiple Republican congressmen.  Two prominent members are Devin Nunes and Kevin McCarthy (house minority leader).  Another is/was the criminally corrupt Duncan Hunter. 

The 25th district was recently won in  2018 by Katie Hill who resigned in scandal.   This area was in Republican hands since the 90s.  I wouldn't say that this election is a swing to the right, as the Republicans have been losing districts/areas that were strongholds back when Reagan was POTUS.  

Guardian article link

My bad, I thought California was more left leaning. Also I would never have guessed Nunes was from California. That guy is a tool well at least what I have seen on tv.

Edited by Ryan Strome

18 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Edit as for the approval rating JT has been pretty low so if used against Ford it should be used against JT.

My bad, I thought California was more left leaning. Also I would never have guessed Nunes was from California. That guy is a tool well at least what I have seen on tv.

Well, the vast majority of House districts are Democrat, so the Republican representation isn't quite as bad as the liberal representation in Alberta. 

20 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

California is like most states where the major cities tend to be liberal while the more rural areas, as well a few of the more affluent counties, lean towards conservatives. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

California is like most states where the major cities tend to be liberal while the more rural areas, as well a few of the more affluent counties, lean towards conservatives. 

So is a district like our ridings? If so how many districts in California?

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

So is a district like our ridings? If so how many districts in California?

Yep, pretty much. I would have to double-check but I believe there's 52 districts in California. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yep, pretty much. I would have to double-check but I believe there's 52 districts in California. 

Ok so less seats than Quebec and like 5 times population, but I get it now. So of those 52 what percentage would be Democrats and Republicans?

Does California commonly flip back and fourth?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Ok so less seats than Quebec and like 5 times population, but I get it now. So of those 52 what percentage would be Democrats and Republicans?

From my limited understanding of the state, there are a number of pockets of fairly strong 'conservative' voters in California  (not all hippies/tree huggers/pot-heads, etc., :P).  Ronald Reagan wouldn't have been elected as governor of that state otherwise (granted, he was always more of a 'blue dog' Democrat when he wasn't a Republican).  Or Arnold Schwarzenegger (though he was more of a Red Tory).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Thanks 1

At the moment, the party breakdown for congress is about 4 to 1 in the Democrats favor.

Federally speaking, California tends to be overwhelmingly blue and I think you would have to go back to the Reagan era for the last time it actually flipped between blue and red. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

At the moment, the party breakdown for congress is about 4 to 1 in the Democrats favor.

Federally speaking, California tends to be overwhelmingly blue and I think you would have to go back to the Reagan era for the last time it actually flipped between blue and red. 

So essentially Democrats can count on California?

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

So essentially Democrats can count on California?

Yeah, while I won't say it's impossible, it would take a hell of a confluence of events for California to flip from blue to red this upcoming election; much less any others. 

Where is @inane to tell us photo shopped pictures and memes are dumb?

glad you're listening!

Trump says he is taking hydroxychloroquine though health experts question its effectiveness

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/05/18/politics/donald-trump-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus/index.html

"A couple of weeks ago, I started taking it," Trump said. He later said he'd been taking it every day for a week and a half.

Expect his base to start taking this drug.

58 minutes ago, BPA said:

Trump says he is taking hydroxychloroquine though health experts question its effectiveness

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/05/18/politics/donald-trump-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus/index.html

"A couple of weeks ago, I started taking it," Trump said. He later said he'd been taking it every day for a week and a half.

I put it at 50-50 he's actually taking it. You have to remember this man is an unrepentant liar. He would lie to you about what he had for breakfast for the sheer thrill of lying to you about what he had for breakfast.

Notice this changed the subject from his firing of the 4th Inspector General in just a few weeks. An IG that was investigating improper conduct by Secretary Pompeo.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, BPA said:

yeah, no you're not Don,

and you're not getting tested every day.

and you're not 6'3.

and you're not most things you claim..

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Would it be too much to hope he “accidentally” takes too much one day?

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1