DonLever

Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States

I really don't see what he can do about it if twitter adds those fact checks to his tweets.

They aren't censoring him, (and they're a private company, so "Free speech" doesn't really come into play) nor are they banning him.

I think this is just another case of Trump believing he was elected King, rather than POTUS, and thinks that he can do anything he wants just by issuing an EO.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

since conservatives love mis-quoting Orwell these days:

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

Kind of like how there are "special snowflakes".;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I really don't see what he can do about it if twitter adds those fact checks to his tweets.

They aren't censoring him, (and they're a private company, so "Free speech" doesn't really come into play) nor are they banning him.

I think this is just another case of Trump believing he was elected King, rather than POTUS, and thinks that he can do anything he wants just by issuing an EO.

I really hope Twitter keeps doing it. Trump clearly knows that the fact checking will harm his influence over others, meaning he also KNOWS what he is saying is false. ;)

• Hydration 2

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think there is no way he will let his grip on Twitter go.

He will try to force his admin to pull out all stops.

There is a very easy way for them to do and that is simply enforcing their own policies that they otherwise enforce.  I have had a few accounts banned for crossing the line with humor ;) 

• Vintage 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/opinions-the-never-trumpers-might-finally-be-on-to-something/ar-BB14J1T9?li=AAggFp5

The quandary of the “Never Trump” Republicans has always been that while they get plenty of attention from the media, their success in convincing rank-and-file members of their party to reject this president has been negligible at best.

But 2020 is not 2016, for any number of reasons, and they’re hoping that things can be different this time.

Their latest effort, called Republican Voters Against Trump, is launching a $10 million advertising campaign with a somewhat different focus than those of the past. Rather than ads showing President Trump saying deranged things or listing off his missteps, they’re told from the perspective of a Republican voter who has turned against him. Here’s the prototype:

There are reasons to doubt whether this can be effective. But I’d argue that it has a better chance of working than almost any other message.

First, “working” doesn’t mean convincing 20 percent or even 10 percent of Republicans to vote for Joe Biden. It needs only mean creating a permission structure for them to do so — even if it means only a few thousand votes move in a few key states. That could be enough to swing the election.

And that’s what this message is about. It doesn’t try to persuade its targets that Trump is bad; they know all the reasons that’s true. What it does is say there are other Republicans, people just like you, who have the same doubts you do.

If you’re a Republican, even one disgusted with Trump, voting for a Democrat is an extraordinarily difficult thing to do. It calls your entire identity into question. In order to do it, you need to be convinced that you can choose Biden and still remain a Republican.

When I saw this ad, I immediately thought of one from 1964 that was almost identical, except that it used an actor reading lines. It was called “Confessions of a Republican,” in which Lyndon Johnson’s campaign told Republicans that it would not betray their party to vote against Barry Goldwater:

You’ll notice that the two ads start the same way. The man in the Republican Voters Against Trump ad says he voted for Trump in 2016 and talks about becoming a Republican in college, as the screen shows a picture of Ronald Reagan, the most evocative Republican icon.

Similarly, the actor in the Johnson ad begins by saying, “I don’t know just why they wanted to call this a confession; I’ve always been a Republican, my father is, his father was.” Bona fides established, they then go on to make a case for why Trump and Goldwater are dangerous and don’t represent the GOP.

You can say that similar groups and prominent people like William Kristol (one of the figures behind Republican Voters Against Trump) tried to make the same case in 2016 and failed, which is true. Trump got the votes of around nine in ten Republicans, about as well as the party’s candidate typically does (on that, Goldwater is the historical outlier; according to the American National Election Studies, only 73 percent of Republicans voted for him).

But two factors are different now than they were then. The first is that a Trump presidency is no longer hypothetical. While Trump has done plenty of things all Republicans like, they can no longer tell themselves he’ll grow into the job or that he won’t be disastrously incompetent in a crisis.

The second, and what may be just as important, is the Democratic nominee.

“You can’t overstate what the Clintons represent for Republicans,” Sarah Longwell, one of the leaders of Republican Voters Against Trump, told the New York Times. “Donald Trump’s corruption was offset by what they saw as her corruption.”

I’d put it a different way: It wasn’t about corruption so much as it was a white-hot loathing of Clinton nearly all Republicans shared, something nurtured over the course of the previous 25 years. You simply could not have found a Democrat who would encounter as much resistance to a “hold your nose and vote for her” message.

But Biden is not the same figure. It’s not that Republicans aren’t working hard to disqualify him in their own voters’ eyes, or that it won’t work for most of them. But there isn’t the same pre-existing well of visceral hatred to draw on.

In 2018, the Democratic sweep was driven by suburban areas where there are plenty of moderate Republicans, especially women. There’s a good deal of evidence that these voters were pulled toward Democratic candidates out of disgust with Trump, but the Never Trumpers don’t actually want them to become Democrats, which is a high hurdle to clear.

They just want them to vote against Trump, this one time. And if that means telling themselves they’ll return to the GOP in 2024 once it nominates a saner candidate, that’s just fine.

• Hydration 1

45 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

There is a very easy way for them to do and that is simply enforcing their own policies that they otherwise enforce.  I have had a few accounts banned for crossing the line with humor ;) 

difference is they aren't making millions off your tweets :P (I'm assuming). 

twitter doesn't really want to ban Trump, he's money in the bank for them. Trump doesn't really want to ban twitter either. They kind of deserve each other. 

Where this gets sticky imo is when Trump or his supporters go after the jobs of the social media CEOs. 

54 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Yet you've somehow managed to stick around here.:P

(I'm just kidding.....or maybe not.:ph34r:)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Well you're the lawyer and I'm not, but it seems like a pretty clear case of libel to me....:unsure:

Except I don't think you can't libel a dead person, Rupe. If libel is about damage to a person's life or livelihood or reputation, it would be pretty hard to prove that a dead person had been harmed, being dead and all. Any lawyers around here who could weigh in?

Now if you want to talk lawsuits, how about some enterprising lawyer initiates a class action suit against Trump for wrongful death for the 100,000+ families who have lost a loved one to the utter mismanagement of the pandemic, resulting in unnecessary deaths. If every family was awarded $10,000 it would cost Fat Donnie a cool Billion. You have to hit that POS where he lives. Now THAT is a lawsuit I could get behind.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Hydration 2

I recommend "Depends Ultra" for those unfortunate moments when your bladder has a mind of it's own.  Or so a friend told me.:ph34r:

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

The man is such a whiney bitch. 

And then afterwards it’s off to Chuck E Cheese. Whose a good boy?

7D96D31A-11E0-4EBF-A9B5-F23AB64FE26E.jpeg

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

And then afterwards it’s off to Chuck E Cheese. Whose a good boy?

7D96D31A-11E0-4EBF-A9B5-F23AB64FE26E.jpeg

There is no way Trump should be allowed within 500 feet of a Chuck E Cheese.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The amount of people that have issues with free speech lol

Isn't twitter a private company?

They can set whatever rules they want.

Just like CDC here.

You're not allowed to swear at me for pointing this out. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Namely, Trump, who has issues with Twitter exercising their right to clarify the bile he spews.  This is the equivalent of me posting something that was factually incorrect and incredibly inappropriate, and Deb letting my post stand but adding in a link to the correct information.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This isn't a free speech issue.  Nothing is stopping Trump from spreading his lies.  Seems he has issue with free speech when people call him out for his lies.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

the tweety doesn't have to allow Trump to keep breaking the rules tho, his personal attacks on people are supposed to be enough to get a person banned. But then again most people aren't billion dollar cash cows either. As always this comes down to $$.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the tweety doesn't have to allow Trump to keep breaking the rules tho, his personal attacks on people are supposed to be enough to get a person banned. But then again most people aren't billion dollar cash cows either. As always this comes down to $$.

:lol: you and your conspiracy theories.

7 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I use facebook to message friends. In that regard its great.  I haven't posted anything since early 2019.  

You can actually still use Facebook Messenger even while your account is deactivated.  If I would have known that I would have deleted Facebook years ago, LOL!

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

:lol: you and your conspiracy theories.

There is no conspiracy here, Trump is used to getting his way by being boorish and obstinate while throwing his power and money around.  And now that someone is using their power to put a spotlight on his lies, Trump is getting all whiny because it reduces the effectiveness of his lie.

• Thanks 2
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1