DonLever

Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the US - Impeached By House, Acquited By Senate

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

You knew he'd have to chuck Rudy under the bus at some point. Rather awkward way to do it. Not exactly a professional hit. ..........

Trump: ‘I Don't Know’ if Giuliani Is Still My Attorney

President Trump told reporters on Friday that he didn't know whether Rudy Giuliani was still his personal attorney amid the fallout of his two associates—Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman—being indicted on campaign finance charges. “Well, I don't know. I haven't spoken to Rudy,” Trump said. “I spoke to him yesterday briefly. He's a very good attorney, and he has been my attorney—yeah, sure.” Later Friday, Giuliani told The Washington Post he was “still his attorney” via text message.

This comes after Parnas and Fruman were arrested at a D.C.-area airport, reportedly with one-way tickets to Vienna, Austria. Giuliani’s own financial dealings have also reportedly come under scrutiny by federal investigators after their arrest. Giuliani told The Atlantic this week that he was planning to go to Vienna about 24 hours after Parnas and Fruman’s scheduled departure. He also told The Wall Street Journal that Parnas and Fruman were going to Vienna for matters “related to their business,” but said he wouldn't be doing any business with the men until the returned to the U.S.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-i-dont-know-if-giuliani-is-still-my-attorney

:lol:

I knew it! As soon as Giuliani's men got nabbed I knew Trump was going to distance himself.

Edited by Red Light Racicot
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

Disgraceful. It doesn't surprise me that Trump would want to prop up a barbaric regime that represses women, condones rape, persecutes gays, and stifles the free press.  Saudi Arabia is everything Chump wants to turn America into.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I guess we know why Trump tried to stop Marie Yovanovitch from testifying:

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/11/yovanovitch-deposition-trump-ukraine-000282

Marie L. Yovanovitch, the former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, told House impeachment investigators Friday that she was abruptly forced out of her role in May at the direction of President Donald Trump.

In her opening statement, obtained by POLITICO, Yovanovitch said Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan told her that there was “a concerted campaign” against her — one based on “unfounded and false claims by people with clearly questionable motives.” Yovanovitch attended her deposition in defiance of the State Department’s orders.

“He also said that I had done nothing wrong and that this was not like other situations where he had recalled ambassadors for cause,” Yovanovitch said of her conversation with Sullivan. Trump announced earlier Friday his intention to nominate Sullivan to be his new ambassador to Russia.

Yovanovich's statement represented a top-to-bottom rebuke of the president, his associates, and his foreign policy — a rare takedown from a career diplomat who has sought to avoid the spotlight ever since her ouster. Yovanovitch expressed her “deep disappointment and dismay” at efforts to undermine trust in American institutions, and warned that “this nation’s most loyal and talented public servants” are running for the exits. She also said other countries would likely exploit the same dynamic that led to her ouster to undermine U.S. foreign policy.

Yovanovitch, who remains a State Department employee, was the latest firsthand witness to testify about Trump's interactions with Ukraine, as he ramped up efforts to pressure the country's new president to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden, a 2020 contender.

The chairs of the three House committees leading the investigation said the State Department and the White House had ordered Yovanovitch not to attend, prompting them to issue a subpoena. Yovanovitch, they said, agreed to comply with the subpoena over her agency's objections, sitting for more than nine hours behind closed doors on Friday.

“Any efforts by Trump administration officials to prevent witness cooperation with the committees will be deemed obstruction of a co-equal branch of government and an adverse inference may be drawn against the president on the underlying allegations of corruption and cover-up,” said Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.) and Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.).

Unlike the most recent witness in the Ukraine matter to testify — Kurt Volker, the former U.S. special representative for Ukraine negotiations — Yovanovitch is still employed by the State Department, which raises questions about whether she will face punishment for defying orders. Legal experts and State Department officials have been trying to resolve the question of whether a congressional subpoena trumps a State Department direction to a Foreign Service officer.

“Her willingness when served with compulsory process to follow the law and testify — I think she is a courageous example for others,” Schiff told reporters.

According to her statement, Yovanovitch was told “abruptly” in late April to return to Washington “on the next plane.” Her removal came amid a campaign by Trump’s allies to accuse her of disloyalty, a charge she said was “fictitious.” Trump himself attacked Yovanovitch during a phone call with Ukraine's newly elected president Volodymyr Zelensky on July 25, which is at the center of Democrats’ impeachment inquiry. Trump referred to her as “bad news," according to a summary of the conversation released by the White House. He also said, without elaboration, that she was “going to go through some things.”

Yovanovitch's appearance on Capitol Hill Friday was a breakthrough for House Democrats seeking firsthand details about Trump's efforts — both directly and through his personal attorney Rudy Giuliani — to pressure Ukraine's leaders to investigate Biden.

Yovanovitch said she had “minimal contacts” with Giuliani, adding: “I do not know Mr. Giuliani’s motives for attacking me.” She speculated that Giuliani’s associates “believed that their personal financial ambitions were stymied by our anti-corruption policy in Ukraine.”

She also said U.S. interests are “harmed” when “private interests circumvent professional diplomats for their own gain, not the public good.” It appeared to be a reference to Giuliani’s efforts to leverage government officials to dig up dirt on Biden.

“The harm will come when bad actors in countries beyond Ukraine see how easy it is to use fiction and innuendo to manipulate our system,” she said in her opening statement. “In such circumstances, the only interests that will be served are those of our strategic adversaries, like Russia, that spread chaos and attack the institutions and norms that the U.S. helped create and which we have benefited from for the last 75 years.”

According to Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney (D-N.Y.), an Intelligence Committee member, Yovanovitch at times “became overcome with emotion and had to stop and leave the room before recounting how she was thrown to the wolves.” He said Yovanovitch’s testimony “detailed a shocking abuse of presidential power.”

“It is clear to me that she was fired because she was a thorn in the side of those who sought to use the Ukrainian government for their own political and financial gain — and that includes President Trump,” Maloney added.

Some of the president’s closest Republican allies who sit on the committees spearheading the inquiry attended Yovanovitch’s deposition, including Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan and North Carolina Rep. Mark Meadows. After the deposition concluded, they defended Trump from Yovanovitch’s charges and harangued Democrats for crafting a process whereby lawmakers are prohibited from discussing the substance of the testimony in public.

“The president of the United States is entitled to have the ambassador ... he wants in that position,” Jordan said.

The State Department’s inspector general last Wednesday briefed congressional aides about an apparent attempt to smear the veteran civil servant. Two foreign-born associates of Giuliani — both indicted Thursday on campaign finance charges — have also been accused of seeking her removal at the behest of an unnamed Ukrainian government official.

Yovanovitch is a highly regarded diplomat within the U.S. foreign policy establishment. At the State Department, her treatment has unnerved many staffers, especially in the division that handles Europe. It also has damaged the standing of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who has been unwilling to publicly defend Yovanovitch.

Morale in the department was rattled even further this week after it was announced that Mike McKinley, a veteran career diplomat who serves as a top adviser to Pompeo, was resigning. The reasons for his departure, confirmed to POLITICO by a senior Trump administration official, were not clear, but the timing is not helping the morale, people in the department say.

Yovanovitch said in her opening statement that the State Department has been “attacked and hollowed out from within.”

Just as Yovanovitch agreed to testify, Trump’s representative to the European Union, Gordon Sondland, announced Friday morning that he would sit for a deposition next week, after similarly receiving a congressional subpoena.

“Notwithstanding the State Department’s current direction to not testify, Ambassador Sondland will honor the Committees’ subpoena, and he looks forward to testifying on Thursday,” his attorneys said in a statement.

But Sondland’s lawyers also said he would not be able to comply with House Democrats’ subpoena for documents, saying that “federal law and State Department regulations prohibit him from producing documents concerning his official responsibilities.” Some Republicans have been eager to let Sondland, a firm Trump ally, testify in a bid to buttress Trump's position.

Harold Koh, a former State Department legal adviser, said his interpretation is that a congressional subpoena would outweigh a State Department directive. He noted that it’s also possible that, facing such a situation, State could order a staffer to limit his or her testimony, for example, by not discussing classified information.

It's not clear if State will or even would be allowed to punish Yovanovitch. But sometimes such punishments are veiled. Yovanovitch could find herself given low-ranking assignments in the future, with no official reason as to why. There already are at least two ongoing federal investigations into whether, under Trump, State Department career employees have been victims of political retaliation, including being given low-level roles.

The State Department did not respond to a query Friday as to whether Yovanovitch or Sondland would face punishments.

Sondland's name emerged in a series of text messages provided to House investigators by Volker, the former U.S. special representative for Ukraine negotiations who resigned days before testifying last week. In the text chain, Sondland, Volker and Bill Taylor — currently the top U.S. envoy in Ukraine — discussed apparent efforts by Trump and Giuliani to pressure Ukraine to investigate Biden, perhaps by withholding a planned White House visit or military aid.

Yovanovitch said she was not involved in discussions about Trump’s July 25 call with Zelensky, or about the military aid, which was temporarily withheld earlier this year. House Democrats are examining whether the critical funds were frozen as a way to convince Zelensky to target Trump’s political rovals.

Coles Notes version:

Giuliani fabricated negative stories about Yovanovitch in an effort to get her removed. According to her, his reason was because her efforts to fight corruption in the Ukraine were costing Rudy's two (now arrested) buddies money.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2019 at 9:49 PM, HerrDrFunk said:

Hard to say considering Fox News launched 22 years after Nixon resigned.

Oh great.  Next you're going to tell me is not to believe everything I see on theInternet.  I get it though, that is how WWII started...

28 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

Oh great.  Next you're going to tell me is not to believe everything I see on theInternet.  I get it though, that is how WWII started...

Just changed the batteries in my sarcasm detector. Still works. Thank for the heads up leading to an unscheduled equipment check, much needed apparently 

• Hydration 1

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

"Only the best people"...lol.

One more article on Giuliani. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/oct/11/rudy-giuliani-trump-oval-office-turkey-iran-prisoner-swap

This one is about Reza Zarrab, an Iranian Turkish gold trader accused of helping a state-owned Turkish bank funnel more than $10bn worth of gold and cash to Iran in defiance of US sanctions. And ends with  “I expected to be a hero like in a Tom Hanks movie.”

• Upvote 1

Pentagon confirms US troops under fire by Turkish artillery.  Good thing Urine man got his building in Turkey.  And these guys are their “allies”.  Urine man will probably give Erdogan a medal.

I still remember like it was yesterday we used to have posters who in an attempt to look down upon refugees would make comments like "I would have a lot more respect for these refugees if they stayed and fought against authoritarian control."  Well we are seeing a perfect case study for that in the Kurds.

• Upvote 4

Gordon Sondland, Key Ukraine Witness, to Testify His ‘Quid Pro Quo’ Denial Came From Trump Personally: WaPo

Gordon Sondland reportedly plans to tell lawmakers he cannot vouch for whether or not Trump was being honest.

Gordon Sondland, the U.S. ambassador to the European Union and a key witness in the House Democrats’ impeachment inquiry, is ready to testify to Congress this week that a text message he sent to fellow diplomats defending President Trump against wrongdoing in his Ukraine dealings was actually relayed to him by Trump himself, according to The Washington Post.

A source cited by the Post said Sondland plans to tell lawmakers that he can’t vouch for whether or not the president was honest when he said there was no quid pro quo in his urging the Ukrainian president to investigate former vice president Joe Biden. “It’s only true that the president said it, not that it was the truth,” the source was quoted as saying of Sondland’s testimony.

Trump and his allies have pointed to Sondland’s words in the Sept. 9 text exchange—in which he shot down a fellow diplomat’s suggestion that Trump was withholding security aid to Ukraine in order to force the country’s hand on Biden—as proof that the impeachment inquiry against Trump is nothing more than a witch hunt. In that exchange, Sondland took several hours to respond to a suggestion by Bill Taylor, the top U.S. diplomat to Ukraine, that Trump was leveraging aid to clinch a political favor. When Sondland finally did respond, he told Taylor he was “incorrect.” 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/gordon-sondland-key-ukraine-witness-to-testify-his-quid-pro-quo-denial-came-from-trump-personally-wapo

Slighty off topic but whats everyone preferred Democrat?

My is definaltly Yang but I don't see him winning. Feels like Biden is the safe vote because of his relation to Obama but imo Trump wins against Biden. Although it will be close.

When a country turns on it's allies like the USA did to open the door to let the Kurds die, I call that Country Cowards. As long as Trump is President I will continue to look at the USA as Cowards.

The Kurd/Turkey situation is another Middle East mess.  

US Secretary of Defense Mark Esper was interviewed by Chris Wallace today on the matter:

One thing I found interesting is that, according to Esper,  Turkey was going into Syria regardless of whether there were American troops there or not.  In reaction, Esper decided to pull the 50 or so troops who were stationed there out of danger.

3 hours ago, milk and honey said:

My is definaltly Yang but I don't see him winning. Feels like Biden is the safe vote because of his relation to Obama but imo Trump wins against Biden. Although it will be close.

The more I see and hear from the group, the more I like Klobuchar. She's a Centrist. She doesn't believe in dumping the current system for Medicare for All, or any of the other expensive ideas that seem to be all the rage on the Left...

She's tough and even a little bit cocky, which I also like. She's also not in her 8th decade on the planet.

Right now it looks like Biden or Warren, but every time these leadership campaigns happen, it seems like someone comes out of the pack. Yang, Mayor Pete, Harris, Booker....I'd be okay with any of them, but my first choice right now would be Klobuchar.

• Upvote 3

Trump supporters are such a classy bunch:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/macabre-video-of-fake-trump-shooting-media-and-critics-is-shown-at-his-resort/ar-AAIIY4K?li=AAggNb9

WASHINGTON — A video depicting a macabre scene of a fake President Trump shooting, stabbing and brutally assaulting members of the news media and his political opponents was shown at a conference for his supporters at his Miami resort last week, according to footage obtained by The New York Times.

Several of Mr. Trump’s top surrogates — including his son Donald Trump Jr., his former spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders and the governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis — were scheduled to speak at the three-day conference, which was held by a pro-Trump group, American Priority, at Trump National Doral Miami. Ms. Sanders and a person close Mr. Trump’s son said on Sunday that they did not see the video at the conference. 

The video, which includes the logo for Mr. Trump’s 2020 re-election campaign, comprises a series of internet memes. The most violent clip shows Mr. Trump’s head superimposed on the body of a man opening fire inside the “Church of Fake News” on parishioners who have the faces of his critics or the logos of media organizations superimposed on their bodies. It appears to be an edited scene of a church massacre from the 2014 dark comedy film “Kingsman: The Secret Service.”

The disclosure that the video was played shows how Mr. Trump’s anti-media language has influenced his supporters and bled into their own propaganda. Mr. Trump has made attacks on the news media a mainstay of his presidency, and he tweeted a similar — but far less violent video — in 2017. In recent weeks as he has confronted impeachment proceedings, he has ramped up his attacks on the news media, repeatedly calling it the “enemy of the people.”

A person who attended the conference last week took a video of the clip on his phone and had an intermediary send it to a reporter for The Times. Parts of the video were posted on YouTube in 2018 by a user with a history of creating pro-Trump mash-ups.

The organizer of the event said in a statement on Sunday that the clip had been played at the conference, saying it was part of a “meme exhibit.” He denounced the video and said his organization was looking into how it was shown at the event.

“Content was submitted by third parties and was not associated with or endorsed by the conference in any official capacity,” said the organizer, Alex Phillips. “American Priority rejects all political violence and aims to promote a healthy dialogue about the preservation of free speech. This matter is under review.”

Organizers declined to say exactly where at Mr. Trump’s resort the video was shown.

A person close to Mr. Trump’s son said he was unaware that the video had been played at the conference. Ms. Sanders said she was unaware of the video’s existence until a Times reporter contacted her.

“I was there to speak at a prayer breakfast, where I spoke about unity and bringing the country together,” Ms. Sanders said. “I wasn’t aware of any video, nor do I support violence of any kind against anyone.”

A spokesman for Mr. Trump’s campaign said he knew nothing about the video.

“That video was not produced by the campaign, and we do not condone violence,” said Tim Murtaugh, the spokesman.

A DeSantis spokeswoman did not respond to an email seeking comment.

The video depicts a scene inside the “Church of Fake News,” where parishioners rise as Mr. Trump — dressed in a black pinstripe suit and tie — walks down the aisle. Many parishioners’ faces have been replaced with the logos of news media organizations, including PBS, NPR, Politico, The Washington Post and NBC.

Mr. Trump stops in the middle of the church, pulls a gun out of his suit jacket pocket and begins a graphic rampage. As the parishioners try to flee, the president fires at them. He shoots Black Lives Matter in the head, and also shoots Vice News.

Some of those in the church try to apprehend Mr. Trump. He fends them off and makes his way toward the altar, knocking over several pews. He wrestles a parishioner with a Vice News logo as a face to the ground and then shoots the person at point blank range. In the background, the former F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, is seen trying to get away.

From there, Mr. Trump attacks a range of his critics. He strikes the late Arizona senator John McCain in the back of the neck. He hits the television personality Rosie O’Donnell in the face and then stabs her in the head. He strikes Representative Maxine Waters, Democrat of California. He lights the head of Senator Bernie Sanders, a Democratic presidential rival, on fire.

He takes Senator Mitt Romney, Republican of Utah, hostage before throwing him to the ground. Then he strikes former President Barack Obama in the back and throws him against a wall.

Others shown in the video include Mika Brzezinski of MSNBC; former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton; former President Bill Clinton; the film producer Harvey Weinstein; and Representative Adam B. Schiff, the California Democrat who as chairman of the House Intelligence Committee is overseeing an impeachment inquiry of Mr. Trump.

The clip ends with Mr. Trump putting a stake into the head of a person with a CNN logo for a face. Mr. Trump then stands on the altar, admiring his rampage, and smiles.

The video is similar in style to one Mr. Trump tweeted in July 2017, in which he is shown at a wrestling match body slamming CNN’s logo and beating it up. The president was roundly criticized for encouraging violence against journalists by posting that clip, but his supporters enjoyed it, and helped make the tweet viral.

Throughout his 2016 campaign and presidency, Mr. Trump has sought to demonize the news media, partly out of frustration about the coverage of his administration and partly because he likes to have an opponent to target. Mr. Trump has also sought to undermine confidence in the mainstream media, some of his advisers acknowledge privately, to make people doubt the accuracy of less favorable accounts of what goes on in his administration.

The president said at a rally on Friday that there was an “unholy alliance of corrupt Democrat politicians, deep-state bureaucrats and the fake news media.” 

I love how after this gets leaked to press, everyone goes full Sgt. Shultz:

image.png.46de97ea9000c095e69458fc18e78f27.png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Here's an interesting photo:

image.png.411c8a31684aa3eebba98e0a034089e5.png

That's Lev Parnas on the right. He's one of the assoicates of Rudy Giuliani who was arrested last week.

Here's what Trump said about him and his business partner, Igor Fruman:   “I don’t know those gentleman,” he told reporters before boarding Marine One en route to a campaign rally in Minneapolis. “Maybe they were clients of Rudy. You’d have to ask Rudy.”

Full story here: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/2014-photograph-shows-earlier-ties-between-trump-and-indicted-giuliani-associate/ar-AAIJ58v?li=AAggNb9

7 hours ago, milk and honey said:

I'd vote for Yang or Gabbard if they ran up here ;) 

Edited by Gnarcore

When the whole world failed to support us, the United States extended its hands. We shook hands and appreciated its generous support. At Washington’s request, we agreed to withdraw our heavy weapons from the border area with Turkey, destroy our defensive fortifications, and pull back our most seasoned fighters. Turkey would never attack us so long as the U.S. government was true to its word with us.

We are now standing with our chests bare to face the Turkish knives.

President Donald Trump has been promising for a long time to withdraw U.S. troops. We understand and sympathize. Fathers want to see their children laughing on their laps, lovers want to hear the voices of their partners whispering to them, everyone wants to go back to their homes.

We, however, are not asking for American soldiers to be in combat. We know that the United States is not the world police. But we do want the United States to acknowledge its important role in achieving a political solution for Syria. We are sure that Washington has sufficient leverage to mediate a sustainable peace between us and Turkey.

We believe in democracy as a core concept, but in light of the invasion by Turkey and the existential threat its attack poses for our people, we may have to reconsider our alliances. The Russians and the Syrian regime have made proposals that could save the lives of millions of people who live under our protection. We do not trust their promises. To be honest, it is hard to know whom to trust.

From the Kurd Commander in Chief.

Way to go Trump, you stupid stupid man.

• Upvote 2