DonLever

Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the US - Impeached By House, Acquited By Senate

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You see, you've bought in here - they're not supposed to serve HIM well...they're intended to serve the country well.  That's where the focus should be. They do serve him well and that's likely more a problem them an asset...they're his family and the self interest in running a country is obvious.  

The problem is he had celebrity status before barging into the White House.  There are so many in this day and age who would probably vote in a Kardashian based on..."hey, I follow them on Instagram".   It isn't his fault he gets voted for, but it is a bit of an issue when you see someone so hellbent on his way or the highway - "YOU'RE FIRED" was his catch phrase long before he got into office.  Where ego is so obvious and self absorption has him tweet out things a 16 year old would...this man's running one of the most powerful countries in the world and his go to is "best, biggest".  Bragging, gloating and selling you a bridge (and a hotel?).

He really isn't "fit" to run a country from what most intelligent people are saying....power and status got him there but those things also started a ME TOO movement so they're not always used for a greater good.  Many exploit those positions so consider that.  The ol' gentleman's clubs of the past where it wasn't what you knew, it was who you knew mattered.  Things are changing...slowly, but he's a dinosaur.

There are people who love The Jerry Springer Show too...doesn't mean they are "fit" to decide on important world matters.  Even if they do get to vote.  It's scary.

What you say can be true. Your example of the Kardashian's is a great one. Just as I am not prepared to abnegate my citizen rights to her ilk neither can I to those who are deemed intelligent by you or the media or whoever. I am not saying that opinions should not come to bear but ultimately people have to assume responsibility for their electoral actions. You are almost suggesting that since Trump is not qualified to be POTUS, in your opinion, that he should be removed. That is a very dangerous suggestion. 

I could say the same thing about Trudeau who I consider a failure. I could likely come up with some intelligent people who would agree. However the bottom line is that he is the PM and will be until a non confidence vote happens. People will have to deal with a federal government that controls far more of the GDP of this country and a country that is in a debt structure that cannot be paid. We can only hope that the full ramifications will be known before the next election.  

• Hydration 1

Anybody want to quote this post and tell me how Trump's done a good job in response to the pandemic. 

Please quote the 311,000+ cases (and growing rapidly) and 970/cases per million people (also growing), the lack of listening to experts who he disregarded back in January, the lack of proper social distancing policy for weeks leading to this huge number of infected people (and the reluctance of a bunch of republican governors from still enacting social distancing measures). Furthermore, he had months to prepare but is now scrambling to get supplies. The government got rid of their pandemic team which could've helped America get a leg up on the virus. 

I can say he was quick to ban travel from China, which was good. 

You can also compare vs. Canada which was much quicker to act and thus, cases per capita are far lower. Our hospitals in BC sit empty in preparation for a CoVid surge ,which hasn't come yet. The two countries had the same time to act from the time the virus blew up in China, Iran, and Italy, a big advantage over the EU countries.  

• Hydration 2

38 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm saying the idea of a 'good job' won't have anything to do with how most people vote in the US, and in particular republicans who support Trump on ideology and not facts. 

Its funny to me that you think republicans would even consider switching, there isn't a set of facts that would move them off their vote. 

Exactly right. In certain areas of the US, the GOP could run a shaved ape (some would argue that they did) and Republicans would vote vote for it over a Democrat, no matter how qualified.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm saying the idea of a 'good job' won't have anything to do with how most people vote in the US, and in particular republicans who support Trump on ideology and not facts. 

Its funny to me that you think republicans would even consider switching, there isn't a set of facts that would move them off their vote. 

I think you could easily question what ideology exists on the right in both the GOP and CPC. IMHO the left is far more ideological and having greater success. Does Trump get some slack from GOP members, I suppose. Does that exist with Democrats, I suppose. With all the info streams that exist in society consuming accurate info is a challenge. 

I don't trust politicians who buy votes with my money and they are ALL doing it now with no thought of how it will be paid for. 

What I want of politicians is a philosophy based within the grassroots. No professional politicians or government mandarins defining the conversation. I am reading Friedrich Hayek's "The Road to Serfdom" with great interest right now. 

• Hydration 1

And for those arguing that Trump is only "putting America first" by telling 3M to stop selling us N-95 masks, here's a little history lesson:

1. *On 9/11, Canadian airports diverted and landed 230 US bound aircraft, keeping 30,000 passengers safe.
  2. In 1980 Canadian diplomats rescued 6 American embassy staff, keeping them from spending over 400 days in captivity in Iran
  3. In WWII, Canadian soldiers fought alongside our American brothers, although it's worth noting that we showed up long before you did
  4. In the early Oughts, Canada joined American efforts in Afghanistan, in an effort to see that the events of 9/11 are not repeated
  5. In June of 2018, Donald Trump declared Canada a risk to National Security. A ruse designed to justify the imposing of steel and aluminum tariffs.

Donald Trump does a lot of talking about "loyalty", but time and again, he proves that with him, it's entirely a one-way street.

*I highly recommend that people (especially Americans) watch the documentary, "You are here: A come from away story" which describes the efforts of Newfoundlanders in housing and feeding thousands of stranded passengers in the immediate aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.

• Hydration 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

"Slack"....:rolleyes:

His son admitted to taking a meeting with Russian agents with the expressed intent of gathering damaging information on a political rival and the GOP's reaction was "Nothing to see here".....In fact, they went on to promote the idea that he had been totally exonerated, despite the fact that Mueller explicitly stated that it was not the case.

Witness after witness corroborated the whistleblower account of Trump's attempt to solicit a damaging investigation into Joe Biden's son, by withholding aid to Ukraine....The GOP went from "It never happened" to "It happened but there was nothing wrong with it" to "There was something wrong with it, but it doesn't rise to the level of an Impeachable offense"....

Alan Dershowitz, a so-called legal "expert" who repeatedly tries to make that case that his opinions are non-partisan, (despite clear evidence to the contrary) even went so far as to say that if Trump believed his re-election was in the best interest of Americans, then any action he takes to ensure that result cannot be considered illegal.

The level of "slack" given to Donald Trump by Republicans is matched only by the level of slack given to Klan members by judges in the deep south, in the Jim Crow era....<_<

Want to add the fact that multiple witnesses were allowed to ignore subpoenas or outright refused to testify.   Compare that to the Benghazi witch hunt.   Shillary spent hours testifying to the appropriate committee.  Did she need a subpoena or multiple court challenges to get her there?  Curious. 

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

"Slack"....:rolleyes:

His son admitted to taking a meeting with Russian agents with the expressed intent of gathering damaging information on a political rival and the GOP's reaction was "Nothing to see here".....In fact, they went on to promote the idea that he had been totally exonerated, despite the fact that Mueller explicitly stated that it was not the case.

Witness after witness corroborated the whistleblower account of Trump's attempt to solicit a damaging investigation into Joe Biden's son, by withholding aid to Ukraine....The GOP went from "It never happened" to "It happened but there was nothing wrong with it" to "There was something wrong with it, but it doesn't rise to the level of an Impeachable offense"....

Alan Dershowitz, a so-called legal "expert" who repeatedly tries to make that case that his opinions are non-partisan, (despite clear evidence to the contrary) even went so far as to say that if Trump believed his re-election was in the best interest of Americans, then any action he takes to ensure that result cannot be considered illegal.

The level of "slack" given to Donald Trump by Republicans is matched only by the level of slack given to Klan members by judges in the south, in the Jim Crow deep era....<_<

An era dominated by Democrats in the South I believe. 

• Hydration 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

As if that has any relevance in 2020, or the current topic of discussion....:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Wow.... quick on the draw with that pivot/spin/deflect response. Too bad you had to move the goalposts 143 years into the past to find something something irrelevant to latch on to

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Dixiecrats that is.  And there was this thing that happened in the 60's that ended up with those racist POSes switching to the GOP. 

The party of Lincoln no longer resembles the party that Lincoln belonged to.  The progressives became Democrats and the racists in the Democratic party became Republicans. 

• Hydration 3

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/what-have-you-got-to-lose-trump-tells-coronavirus-patients-to-try-unproven-drug/ar-BB12aZTD?ocid=spartandhp

Donald Trump has continued to pressure the American public into taking an anti-malaria medication to treat Covid-19 symptoms despite the lack of evidence thus far showing the drug could have an impact.

The president's praise for the medication came again during his daily press briefing on Saturday.

"What do you have to lose?" Mr Trump said. "It's been out there for a long time. What do you have to lose? I hope they use it."

"I may take it. I have to ask my doctors," he added.

Clinical trials launched last month for hydroxychloroquine, a variant of chloroquine, but there has been no definitive study to show the drug can prevent or diminish Covid-19 symptoms. It was previously approved for use in malaria patients and to aid lupus sufferers.

The Mayo Clinic released a warning for healthcare providers last week about the dangers the drug could pose on some patients, which includes it potentially causing sudden cardiac death when taken. The European Commission also announced on Tuesday there was no proof hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, which is also used for malaria, could treat the coronavirus.

The efficacy of hydroxychloroquine in the treatment of Covid-19 patients has to date not been proved," a spokesman for the European Commission said.

But on Sunday, the FDA authorised emergency use for the drug on Covid-19 patients.

"The question I most hate the answer to is what happens if you do have a ventilator? What are your chances? I just hope that hydroxychloroquine wins," Mr Trump told the public on Saturday.

Patients going on ventilators has been the concern with the virus because of how it attacks the upper respiratory system. Once a patient goes on a ventilator, their chances of survival diminish.

So scientists are working to find drug therapies, such as hydroxychloroquine, to relieve symptoms created by Covid-19.

"Hydroxychloroquine. Try it. If you'd like," the president added, saying people should talk to their doctors about the potential benefits. "Take it."

The president's response about the drug starkly contrasted with infectious disease expert Dr Anthony Fauci, who said during the press briefing scientists have yet to find "data to say anything definitively" about the drug's benefits.

Clinical studies are testing if hydroxychloroquine could be preventative, meaning it could stop someone from getting the virus, and if it could lessen Covid-19 symptoms in patients already infected.

------------

"Scientists from the University of Minnesota, which is leading two clinical trials, previously told The Independent that there will not be data into the potential benefits of hydroxychlorquine, if there are any, for another month."

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

Anybody want to quote this post and tell me how Trump's done a good job in response to the pandemic. 

Please quote the 311,000+ cases (and growing rapidly) and 970/cases per million people (also growing), the lack of listening to experts who he disregarded back in January, the lack of proper social distancing policy for weeks leading to this huge number of infected people (and the reluctance of a bunch of republican governors from still enacting social distancing measures). Furthermore, he had months to prepare but is now scrambling to get supplies. The government got rid of their pandemic team which could've helped America get a leg up on the virus. 

I can say he was quick to ban travel from China, which was good. 

You can also compare vs. Canada which was much quicker to act and thus, cases per capita are far lower. Our hospitals in BC sit empty in preparation for a CoVid surge ,which hasn't come yet. The two countries had the same time to act from the time the virus blew up in China, Iran, and Italy, a big advantage over the EU countries.  

I don’t think the Drumpf nuthuggers will answer your post. Notice that they haven’t yet, as there’s no way to answer it defending that sack of $&!# without looking like a complete mental defect. 

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

The Mayo Clinic released a warning for healthcare providers last week about the dangers the drug could pose on some patients, which includes it potentially causing sudden cardiac death when taken. The European Commission also announced on Tuesday there was no proof hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, which is also used for malaria, could treat the coronavirus.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Scientists from the University of Minnesota, which is leading two clinical trials, previously told The Independent that there will not be data into the potential benefits of hydroxychlorquine, if there are any, for another month."

• Upvote 1

Just now, gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/what-have-you-got-to-lose-trump-tells-coronavirus-patients-to-try-unproven-drug/ar-BB12aZTD?ocid=spartandhp

Donald Trump has continued to pressure the American public into taking an anti-malaria medication to treat Covid-19 symptoms despite the lack of evidence thus far showing the drug could have an impact.

The president's praise for the medication came again during his daily press briefing on Saturday.

"What do you have to lose?" Mr Trump said. "It's been out there for a long time. What do you have to lose? I hope they use it."

"I may take it. I have to ask my doctors," he added.

Clinical trials launched last month for hydroxychloroquine, a variant of chloroquine, but there has been no definitive study to show the drug can prevent or diminish Covid-19 symptoms. It was previously approved for use in malaria patients and to aid lupus sufferers.

The efficacy of hydroxychloroquine in the treatment of Covid-19 patients has to date not been proved," a spokesman for the European Commission said.

But on Sunday, the FDA authorised emergency use for the drug on Covid-19 patients.

"The question I most hate the answer to is what happens if you do have a ventilator? What are your chances? I just hope that hydroxychloroquine wins," Mr Trump told the public on Saturday.

Patients going on ventilators has been the concern with the virus because of how it attacks the upper respiratory system. Once a patient goes on a ventilator, their chances of survival diminish.

So scientists are working to find drug therapies, such as hydroxychloroquine, to relieve symptoms created by Covid-19.

"Hydroxychloroquine. Try it. If you'd like," the president added, saying people should talk to their doctors about the potential benefits. "Take it."

The president's response about the drug starkly contrasted with infectious disease expert Dr Anthony Fauci, who said during the press briefing scientists have yet to find "data to say anything definitively" about the drug's benefits.

Clinical studies are testing if hydroxychloroquine could be preventative, meaning it could stop someone from getting the virus, and if it could lessen Covid-19 symptoms in patients already infected.

------------

"Scientists from the University of Minnesota, which is leading two clinical trials, previously told The Independent that there will not be data into the potential benefits of hydroxychlorquine, if there are any, for another month."

If Dumbpf thinks it’s so great he should be the first to take it. If he does, well, at least he sacrificed himself for the betterment of science. Do it, Donnie. 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I didn't say anything about the Trump kids.

I just wanted you to clarify that you believed it is nepotism, specifically Kushner, more than the previous business careers you mentioned as qualifications.

It is my opinion that Jared has been given too many hats to wear and they are really big appointments. Like a lot of Trump decisions I believe it has more to do with loyalty to him vs the best person for the role. 

I don't care how many times any other politician has done similar. It should be pointed out, called out, discouraged.

I think it's worth noting that although RFK's appointment to the position of Attorney General was undoubtedly based on loyalty (for his suspension of his career, so he could work on his brother's Presidential campaign) and Nepotism, it's worth noting that he had 10 years as a practicing lawyer under his belt.

The Trump and Kushner kids have no qualifications other than being the children of rich crooks....

• Upvote 1

One other thing to note:

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has refused to allow Canadian cruise passengers to disembark in his state, even though he is allowing 49 Floridians on the same ship to do so. (Someone needs to explain to this idiot how the transmission of infectious diseases works)

This is the same asshat who refused to close his beaches during Spring Break.

There really is only one thing we can do.....when the Pandemic is over, (and this will happen, it's only a matter of when) Canadians should let the state of Florida know how they feel about this by never spending another cent in the state. No more Spring Break in Ft. Lauderdale, no family trips to Disney World (there's another one in Anaheim anyway).

Snowbirds: Find somewhere else to "migrate"....

• Hydration 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

What I want of politicians is a philosophy based within the grassroots. No professional politicians or government mandarins defining the conversation. I am reading Friedrich Hayek's "The Road to Serfdom" with great interest right now. 

thats an interesting idea, but we still need to have a large number of professionals within government that do the actual work of governing, the bureaucrats for lack of a better term. There's a professional service infrastructure that keeps things humming that doesn't change much between election cycles. What worries me about the current conservative movement is they seem to want to destroy that too, when thats one of the pillars in our society that keeps the machine going.