DonLever

Donald J. Trump, 45th US President of the United States

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf is by no means a Trump fan.  I am a fan of what's fair.  Basing popularity on polls with stated margins of error, IMHAO, is not fair.

I don't need polls to tell me what to believe.

Your words ^

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Your words ^

Exactly.  I'm glad you understand.  Polls, are by their own definition not fair, so I (personally) disregard them.  Except for the actual election result, polls are meaningless - to my forming an opinion.  That's why I don't have an answer to your yes or no question.  I will have an answer in 2021 - the next election for President.  

• Upvote 1

Rupert: Tell me Alf, do you think the Jays will make the playoffs again this season?

Alf: I can't tell you that until the World Series is over

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Rupert: Tell me Alf, do you think the Jays will make the playoffs again this season?

Alf: I can't tell you that until the World Series is over

That's me and politics.  I really am glad you understand.  For the Jays losing my favourite player EE was a big loss.  I don't see them making the playoffs.

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's me and politics.

Just so we know where we are in all of this:

Willful ignorance is the state and practice of ignoring any sensory input that appears to contradict one’s inner model of reality. At heart, it is almost certainly driven by confirmation bias.

It differs from the standard definition of “ignorance“ — which just means that one is unaware of something — in that willfully ignorant people are fully aware of facts, resources and sources, but refuse to acknowledge them. Indeed, calling someone "ignorant" shouldn’t really be a pejorative, but intentional and willful ignorance is an entirely different matter. In practice though, the word "ignorance" has often come to mean "willful ignorance", and indeed, in many non-English languages, the word based on the same stem ("ignore") actually carries that meaning.

It is sometimes referred to as tactical stupidity.

Depending on the nature and strength of an individual’s pre-existing beliefs, willful ignorance can manifest itself in different ways. The practice can entail completely disregarding established facts, evidence and/or reasonable opinions if they fail to meet one’s expectations. Often excuses will be made, stating that the source is unreliable, that the experiment was flawed or the opinion is too biased. More often than not this is simple circular reasoning: I cannot agree with that source because it is untrustworthy because it disagrees with me”.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yup, that makes for good debate.  I think I saw this concept on CNN, it's not mine.  It just made sense to me.  There is a real negativity to politics in the States.  Did Trump even state (clearly) his platform?  There was so much hateful stuff reported in the press, from both parties, no one took time to listen to policies.  I see this nasty, and negative politics filtering into our BC elections too.  For myself, it's a matter of filtering out the garbage (which includes polls) and listen to policy.  From what I filtered, I thought for certain Hillary presented her platform of policy better than Trump.  I guess the voters in the States wanted "to drain the swamp".  

A big problem was the media. The only time they'd give Hillary air time was if she was attacking Trump. Trump got 2 billion dollars of free media from news channels due to their ratings obsession. Her policies were incredibly detailed and her platform would've helped all Americans get on their feet from the rural to the urban. It truly was a tragedy. She had the best policies, but people didn't believe the messenger.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

A big problem was the media. The only time they'd give Hillary air time was if she was attacking Trump. Trump got 2 billion dollars of free media from news channels due to their ratings obsession. Her policies were incredibly detailed and her platform would've helped all Americans get on their feet from the rural to the urban. It truly was a tragedy. She had the best policies, but people didn't believe the messenger.

yup, voters should make their choices on policies and platform.  

Ringing endorsement of Angela Merkel's visit with trump from the German media: :lol:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/germany’s-reaction-to-chancellor-angela-merkel’s-white-house-visit-“it-could-have-been-a-lot-worse”/ar-BByokfH?li=AAggNb9

Germany’s reaction to Chancellor Angela Merkel’s White House visit? “It could have been a lot worse.”

8 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Just so we know where we are in all of this:

Willful ignorance is the state and practice of ignoring any sensory input that appears to contradict one’s inner model of reality. At heart, it is almost certainly driven by confirmation bias.

It differs from the standard definition of “ignorance“ — which just means that one is unaware of something — in that willfully ignorant people are fully aware of facts, resources and sources, but refuse to acknowledge them. Indeed, calling someone "ignorant" shouldn’t really be a pejorative, but intentional and willful ignorance is an entirely different matter. In practice though, the word "ignorance" has often come to mean "willful ignorance", and indeed, in many non-English languages, the word based on the same stem ("ignore") actually carries that meaning.

It is sometimes referred to as tactical stupidity.

Depending on the nature and strength of an individual’s pre-existing beliefs, willful ignorance can manifest itself in different ways. The practice can entail completely disregarding established facts, evidence and/or reasonable opinions if they fail to meet one’s expectations. Often excuses will be made, stating that the source is unreliable, that the experiment was flawed or the opinion is too biased. More often than not this is simple circular reasoning: I cannot agree with that source because it is untrustworthy because it disagrees with me”.

It's about what are facts.  Polls, by their nature are not fact, therefore the only fact is the actual election result.  Are you implying I'm willfully ignorant because I do not accept polls as factual, and prefer actual election results for evidence of fact?  I really don't understand how I base my opinion has any relevance to the Trump wins the Presidency topic?  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's about what are facts.  Polls, by their nature are not fact, therefore the only fact is the actual election result.  Are you implying I'm willfully ignorant because I do not accept polls as factual, and prefer actual election results for evidence of fact?  I really don't understand how I base my opinion has any relevance to the Trump wins the Presidency topic?  

Alf he's asking your personal opinion on if Trump has gotten less popular since he was elected. Everyone already understands you don't like polls, but that has nothing to do with the question.

3 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

Alf he's asking your personal opinion on if Trump has gotten less popular since he was elected. Everyone already understands you don't like polls, but that has nothing to do with the question.

My personal view is Trump is less attractive as a candidate TO ME now, than he was 2 months ago, but I don't get a vote in the US elections, and if I did, I wouldn't have voted for him.  I can't comment on what the American public is thinking.  

Pings between Trumps server and a Russian bank were monitored by FBI.  Suspicions are that these pings were fabricated by a third party to frame the Trump campaign.

Edited by clam linguine
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

I think it's bang on.

I asked him if he thinks that Trump's approval rating has slipped, and he replied that he couldn't form an opinion until after the next election...

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 2

Posted in error Clam? I'll delete the content if so.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  I'm glad you understand.  Polls, are by their own definition not fair, so I (personally) disregard them.  Except for the actual election result, polls are meaningless - to my forming an opinion.  That's why I don't have an answer to your yes or no question.  I will have an answer in 2021 - the next election for President.  

i am now so confused

you disregard polls

yet choose to comment on them being unfair

big logical contradiction here.. just saying

but that is an ongoing issue for you alf

which is why i have stopped responding to your posts

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mattrek said:

Hillary is a liar and a warmonger. Her policies would have continued to help big business and eliminate middle class jobs.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Hillary is a liar and a warmonger. Her policies would have continued to help big business and eliminate middle class jobs.

Lol

• Upvote 1

Still waiting for any commentary on this from trump fans.... All good right? 

56 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Fixed it for you......

Trump is a liar and a warmonger. His policies continue to help big business and eliminate middle class jobs.

• Upvote 2