DonLever

Donald J. Trump, 45th US President of the United States

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

There is about 100 countries I would move to before the US.

But I'd bet that Mexico and/or Colombia aren't one of them, so there you have it.....

• Like 1

As much as I am to the left of center on these types of issues, I can't help but think they're being rather choosy in where they want to go as didn't Mexico offer to give them asylum and possibly jobs?  Unless I'm mistaken on that.

11 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

As much as I am to the left of center on these types of issues, I can't help but think they're being rather choosy in where they want to go as didn't Mexico offer to give them asylum and possibly jobs?  Unless I'm mistaken on that.

There was an offer made, but it came with conditions:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45999610

Mexico has offered temporary work permits to migrants who register for asylum, as a big caravan of Central American migrants makes its way through the country toward the US.

The plan also envisages temporary ID cards, medical care and schooling.

But to qualify, migrants must remain in Mexico's southern Chiapas and Oaxaca states.

Chiapas and Oaxaca are basically just across the border from Guatemala and aren't really any safer from gangs/cartels than where they were fleeing from in the first place.

The whole idea is for these people to get somewhere that is relatively safe and the US is the only place they can reasonably hope to reach. They're not being "choosy".

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yep.... unless I'm mistaken Mexico is a part of the same international convention that states asylum claims must be heard.... and asylum shall be claimed in the first safe country reached by those fleeing violence in their home countries. 

Isn't Mexico a safe place to live ?  

TBH the US is pretty dangerous itself with all the shootings

10 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Yep.... unless I'm mistaken Mexico is a part of the same international convention that states asylum claims must be heard.... and asylum shall be claimed in the first safe country reached by those fleeing violence in their home countries. 

Isn't Mexico a safe place to live ?  

TBH the US is pretty dangerous itself with all the shootings

https://safearound.com/danger-rankings/

According to this, it's 116th in the world. Well behind the States at 57th. It also ranks behind Rwanda, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Sierra Leone.....so no, it isn't a safe place to live.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

According to this, it's 116th in the world. Well behind the States at 57th. It also ranks behind Rwanda, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Sierra Leone.....so no, it isn't a safe place to live.

All the more reason to have strong border controls I suppose.... sounds like it's full of criminals 

I will continue to avoid vacationing there :)

Interesting list though.. Qatar makes the Top 15 safest places in the world :o 

Lol, now Trump wants to create a “Worldwide Network to show the World the way we really are.”

So, basically state-run media. MagaTV. What’s he up to now, step#8 in the authoritarian’s handbook?

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

All the more reason to have strong border controls I suppose.... sounds like it's full of criminals 

I will continue to avoid vacationing there :)

Interesting list though.. Qatar makes the Top 15 safest places in the world :o 

Mexico is completely safe in the tourist areas. Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos, Cancun, Mayan Riveria, etc. all very safe to visit. 

52 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Lol, now Trump wants to create a “Worldwide Network to show the World the way we really are.”

So, basically state-run media. MagaTV. What’s he up to now, step#8 in the authoritarian’s handbook?

Translation: The rest of the world isn't stupid enough to believe what they say on Faux News, so......

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think he has suggested this a few times before. Comedy at its finest.  

18 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, I don't remember for sure. I think it was this thread, but I've gotten into CC "debates" in several threads over the years.

A lot of the details fade over time, but when someone tries to make the argument that NASA and NOAA scientists would falsify data in order to maintain funding, it tend to stick in your memory.

Im pretty sure that you are not replying to a person unfamiliar (formerly hit with the banhammer) with this thread.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Nothing like getting your facts straight brother.

I wonder if the people/users that question your posts realise how you nail them to the wall,I am guessing probably not.

2 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Im pretty sure that you are not replying to a person unfamiliar (formerly hit with the banhammer) with this thread.

I figured that from his reply to my post.

Do you think this user and some of his predessors are Russian or Chinese bots that want to stir things up ?

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

I figured that from his reply to my post.

Do you think this user and some of his predessors are Russian or Chinese bots that want to stir things up ?

Hmmm. I dont think so as i dont see a point (from their perspective) of hitting a Canadian hockey forum but anything is possible. There has been some wild conspiracy stuff though thats for sure. 

EDIT: Come to think of it...

Probably not nice to try to figure out who people are in their real lives. I retract my conspiracy !

I've shared enough with Mr Chicken. ;)

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I chucked IRL... a bit far fetched but plausible. also caused me to reminisce about the old @Harvey Spector and @Frankie Sinatra  days

Yeah, I miss them too. Lots of fun back then.

Got to give it to you my man. You have taken a lot in stride and often offered good counter points to some of the posts on here. I have enjoyed reading your contributions. 

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

One would think that Mexicans would be more supportive of their Central American neighbors.

There is much to unpack in your statement. The first thing is that you generalize by referring to "Mexicans". You seem to assume that there is one prototypical Mexican, but this is no more true for Mexico than it is for Canada, where we all realize that there are dozens of cultural threads running through Canadian society. This is also the case for Mexico, where there is everything from the highly educated, highly creative and highly intelligent, to the poorest, illiterate campesino whose first priority in life is to grow enough to feed his family, and everything in between. There are modern sophisticates, typical consumers driven by pop culture, and those whose lives are still essentially tribal, with all the traditions and beliefs that go with them. 

In Chiapas and Oaxaca, Mexico's two least wealthy states, the economy is mostly agrarian, and life is pretty straightforward, intertwined with the weather, the seasons and the harvests. And this is not an easy life, since it requires a willingness to engage in physically taxing field work of a type that American farmers claim is lacking in American workers. They stick close to home and are sometimes wary of strangers, sometimes because there is such a fine line between living well and simply living that any additional people are perceived as a threat to the delicate balance that is the life of a campesino. Your damned right they aren't particularly supportive of their Central American neighbours; those neighbours represent competition for scarce resources.

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

But just like with everything in life, most people only care about themselves.

And you just now figured that out?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1