DonLever

Donald J. Trump, 45th US President of the United States

The States is a mess. Millions of people still support this guy and it will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks / months. 

Just now, kurtis said:

The States is a mess. Millions of people still support this guy and it will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks / months. 

I think that a lot of his GOP support in the House and the Senate are waiting until either deadlines pass to appear on primary ballots in their state or the primary in their state passes before the turn on TRUMP.  Many are more afraid of a well funded primary challenger from their right than a Democrat in the General.  I think that is one possible reason why Pelosi waited as long as she did on impeachment.  Waiting so that when the votes come, some GOP members may be able to turn on TRUMP without fear of reprisal.  You know TRUMP turns on anyone who is critical of him.  See ole Mitt for an example.

• Upvote 1

Elijah Cummings has passed away:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/powerful-democratic-congressman-elijah-cummings-has-died/ar-AAIVnb8?li=AAggNb9

Maryland Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, a sharecropper's son who rose to become the powerful chairman of a U.S. House committee that investigated President Donald Trump, died early Thursday of complications from longstanding health issues, his office said. He was 68.

Cummings was a formidable orator who passionately advocated for the poor in his black-majority district , which encompasses a large portion of Baltimore as well as more well-to-do suburbs.

As chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee, Cummings led multiple investigations of the president's governmental dealings, including probes in 2019 relating to the president's family members serving in the White House.

Trump responded by criticizing the Democrat's district as a "rodent-infested mess" where "no human being would want to live." The comments came weeks after Trump drew bipartisan condemnation following his calls for Democratic congresswomen of colour to get out of the U.S. "right now," and go back to their "broken and crime-infested countries."

Cummings replied that government officials must stop making "hateful, incendiary comments" that only serve to divide and distract the nation from its real problems, including mass shootings and white supremacy.

"Those in the highest levels of the government must stop invoking fear, using racist language and encouraging reprehensible behaviour," Cummings said in a speech at the National Press Club.

Cummings' long career spanned decades in Maryland politics. He rose through the ranks of the Maryland House of Delegates before winning his congressional seat in a special election in 1996 to replace former Rep. Kweisi Mfume, who left the seat to lead the NAACP.

Cummings was an early supporter of Barack Obama's presidential bid in 2008. By 2016, Cummings was the senior Democrat on the House Benghazi Committee, which he said was "nothing more than a taxpayer-funded effort to bring harm to Hillary Clinton's campaign" for president.

Throughout his career, Cummings used his fiery voice to highlight the struggles and needs of inner-city residents. He was a firm believer in some much-debated approaches to help the poor and addicted, such as needle exchange programs as a way to reduce the spread of AIDS.

A key figure in the Trump impeachment inquiry , Cummings had been hoping to return to Congress after a medical procedure he said would only keep him away for a week. His statement then didn't detail the procedure. He had previously been treated for heart and knee issues.

His constituents began mourning shortly after his death at 2:45 a.m. Thursday at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

In a statement, his widow, Maya Rockeymoore Cummings, chairwoman of Maryland's Democratic Party, said "Congressman Cummings was an honourable man who proudly served his district and the nation with dignity, integrity, compassion and humility. He worked until his last breath because he believed our democracy was the highest and best expression of our collective humanity and that our nation's diversity was our promise, not our problem."

Cummings was born Jan. 18, 1951. In grade school, a counsellor told Cummings he was too slow to learn and spoke poorly, and he would never fulfil his dream of becoming a lawyer.

"I was devastated," Cummings told The Associated Press in 1996, shortly before he won his seat in Congress. "My whole life changed. I became very determined."

It steeled Cummings to prove that counsellor wrong. He became not only a lawyer, but one of the most powerful orators in the statehouse, where he entered office in 1983. He rose to become the first black House speaker pro tem. He would begin his comments slowly, developing his theme and raising the emotional heat until it became like a sermon from the pulpit.

Cummings was quick to note the differences between Congress and the Maryland General Assembly, which has long been controlled by Democrats.

"After coming from the state where, basically, you had a lot of people working together, it's clear that the lines are drawn here," Cummings said about a month after entering office in Washington in 1996.

Cummings chaired the Congressional Black Caucus from 2003 to 2004, employing a hard-charging, explore-every-option style to put the group in the national spotlight.

He cruised to big victories in the overwhelmingly Democratic district, which had given Maryland its first black congressman in 1970 when Parren Mitchell was elected.

I'll be interested to hear/see the reaction of POTUS....I'm sure he'll handle it with his usual class....

• Upvote 1

I mentioned a while back that people shouldn't bother traveling to the US unless absolutely necessary.....and one should never accidentally cross an unmarked border:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/family-arrested-after-driving-through-bc-ditch-into-washington-state-sent-back-to-uk/ar-AAIT2bj?li=AAggNb9

A family of seven who entered the United States illegally by driving through a ditch from British Columbia have been sent back to the United Kingdom.

Eileen and David Connors and five other family members spent nearly two weeks at the Berks Family Residential Centre, a detention facility in Pennsylvania, after being caught "slowly and deliberately" driving through a ditch into Blaine, Wash., on Oct. 2.

The family is no longer at the detention centre, and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) confirmed they had been sent back to the U.K., according to a statement Wednesday from the family's legal representative, which had earlier called for their immediate release. 

In a sworn statement shared by the family's lawyer, the family claimed they were living in poor conditions at the centre, with frigid cells and blankets that smelled "like dead dog," Eileen Connors said in the document.

"We have been treated like criminals here, stripped of our rights and lied to," she said. "We will be traumatized for the rest of our lives by what the United States government has done to us."

But ICE called the family's allegations of poor conditions at the detention centre "unequivocally false," adding the centre where the family was being held provides a safe and humane environment for families.

According the statement, the family's trouble began when they made a "brief detour" onto an unmarked road while trying to avoid an animal in B.C.

Their rental vehicle was spotted on surveillance by U.S. Customs and Border Protection and was pulled over. The couple and their three-month-old baby, along with two adults and their twin daughters — all U.K. citizens — were arrested.

It's a moment the vacationing couple say turned into "the scariest experience of our lives," according to a complaint the Connors has filed with the U.S. government.

Customs and Border Protection officials said they tried to return the group to Canada, but they were refused re-entry. After two unsuccessful attempts to contact the U.K. Consulate, the family members were turned over to ICE.

In the statement, the legal organization Aldea representing the family said nothing justifies the "imprisonment of babies and toddlers" and maintains the family took a wrong turn to end up on the U.S. side of the border. 

"The family was travelling in a Canadian rental car, with enough Canadian money to cover the expenses of a prolonged trip by land for a family of seven, including three small children," the statement said.

"The family never attempted to conceal their money and in fact repeatedly requested to be allowed to use their own funds to go home. Besides sufficient funds, the family had valid passports to travel back to their country."

I get the "follow the rules" mantra that the defenders of ICE and USBS will quote, but it's pretty obvious that this was a vacationing family that took a wrong turn. I think the US message is clear: Keep Out!

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I mentioned a while back that people shouldn't bother traveling to the US unless absolutely necessary.....and one should never accidentally cross an unmarked border:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/family-arrested-after-driving-through-bc-ditch-into-washington-state-sent-back-to-uk/ar-AAIT2bj?li=AAggNb9

I get the "follow the rules" mantra that the defenders of ICE and USBS will quote, but it's pretty obvious that this was a vacationing family that took a wrong turn. I think the US message is clear: Keep Out!

This one is a little fishy to me.. Seems like there is more to this story as Canada wouldn’t allow them to return either (although that may be standard procedure) and two of them had been denied entry to the US earlier. I also wonder about the two attempts to contact the consulate as one would assume a matter like this would not go unanswered. 

16 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

This one is a little fishy to me.. Seems like there is more to this story as Canada wouldn’t allow them to return either (although that may be standard procedure) and two of them had been denied entry to the US earlier. I also wonder about the two attempts to contact the consulate as one would assume a matter like this would not go unanswered. 

I wondered about that as well. However, ICE is disputing the family's description of the conditions at the detention facility, so I'm taking that claim with a grain of salt.

Do I think ICE would lie about something like that? Yes, I do....

The bottom line for me is that we keep hearing stories of people who made mistakes being treated like criminals. It's clear to me that actions at both US borders have reflected the current administration's policy of deterring unwanted visitors and they don't care about collateral damage. Spend your tourist dollars elsewhere....at least until that orange clown is consigned to the scrap heap of history.

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Customs and Border Protection officials said they tried to return the group to Canada, but they were refused re-entry.

This part should be looked into.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

This part should be looked into.

why? no one has the automatic right to cross a border. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why? no one has the automatic right to cross a border. 

The part were the Americans say they tried to return the Brits to Canada twice is my issue here. 

Members of a common wealth country, that had been vacationing in Canada, make a mistake at an uncontrolled border area and Canada doesn't want them back?

weird.

13 hours ago, Toews said:

I can only listen to Trump for a minute before I have to turn it off. I wonder how people manage to stick around through entire rallies, I would have to get hammered first.

I got as far as that mental midget saying Berubee before I turned it off. I think in order to stick through entire rallies, a human would need to have a compromised brain structure, possibly lacking the cerebellum. I can't fathom how else a functioning human being would be able to manage to listen to that human turd.

• Hydration 1

12 minutes ago, gurn said:

The part were the Americans say they tried to return the Brits to Canada twice is my issue here. 

Members of a common wealth country, that had been vacationing in Canada, make a mistake at an uncontrolled border area and Canada doesn't want them back?

weird.

the whole thing is weird. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Elijah Cummings has passed away:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/powerful-democratic-congressman-elijah-cummings-has-died/ar-AAIVnb8?li=AAggNb9

I'll be interested to hear/see the reaction of POTUS....I'm sure he'll handle it with his usual class....

Trump addressed Cummings passing in a tweet he definitely did not write. 

35 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yeah, I saw that.

I had the same take as you....he must have hired a ghost writer....again....

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, inane said:

Doubling down. 

Can it get anymore blatant.... Now to really own the dems/libs/ supposed allies, he’ll soon invite Russia to attend 

Opening statement

Article

Gordon Sondland, a central figure in the Ukraine scandal, threw Trump and Giuliani under the bus in his opening statement to Congress

• Gordon Sondland, the US's ambassador to the European Union, will turn on President Donald Trump and his lawyer Rudy Giuliani when he testifies in Congress' impeachment inquiry on Thursday.
  • Sondland will tell lawmakers he was against Trump's decision to conduct Ukraine policy through Giuliani, according to his opening statement.
  • He will also say he didn't know "until much later" that Giuliani wanted Ukraine to investigate Burisma Holdings, the natural-gas company whose board Hunter Biden sat on, to get dirt on former Vice President Joe Biden.
  • The ambassador is also expected to criticize Trump's decision to hold up a $400 million military-aid package to Ukraine over the summer. It "should not have been delayed for any reason," Sondland's opening statement said.
  • But Sondland will likely face significant pushback from lawmakers on some of his claims that have been contradicted by media reporting and testimony from other officials.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the whole thing is weird. 

I always thought it was common sense to not cross over unofficial international borders.

I think this family is just trying to get some PR or something.... or they are just that stupid.  I mean, this isn't like they were walking along the beach at Point Roberts and accidentally crossed over the border or something (easy to do as there are no markings).  

This is at Blaine... one of the busiest border crossing between Canada and US.  There are tons of signs everywhere directing everyone on how to reach the border crossings.  

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Correct punctuation, no random capitalization, and humility...….definitely not President (expletive deleted)face.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1