DonLever

Donald J. Trump, 45th US President of the United States

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is the Senate saving Alberta the reason Pretty Boy appointed two clearly liberal Senators, so he can have more control over Senate actions?  As long as the PM appoints the Senators, we will have corruption.  

No doubt PMs picking senators certainly isn't the most transparent and not having to be held accountable to the people you serve is f'd up but senators represent provinces so one would hope they would look to do what's best for their region. In Alberta's case thankfully most all senators told the liberals wtf is this.

Omg here I am defending the Canadian senate.:lol::picard::frantic:

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Thought this was the american political thread....

My bad. Sorry..

I sincerely apologize. 

I'm out..

That will make some happy. 

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

No doubt PMs picking senators certainly isn't the most transparent and not having to be held accountable to the people you serve is f'd up but senators represent provinces so one would hope they would look to do what's best for their region. In Alberta's case thankfully most all senators to the liberals wtf is this.

Omg here I am defending the Canadian senate.:lol::picard::frantic:

I'm counting this in the win column. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Thought this was the american political thread....

we were comparing the US and Canadian senates. 

But here you go:

image.thumb.png.d2052185ad516b80c892fab0b5dd7779.png

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we were comparing the US and Canadian senates. 

But here you go:

image.thumb.png.d2052185ad516b80c892fab0b5dd7779.png

Hmmmm....so the White House has two massive back yards.....

• Haha 2

The US Senate used to be by appointment as well, but the corruption that grew out of the appointments as a result became too much to handle.  It was then changed to the elected senate that we have today.

Fun factoid, Clark County in Southern Nevada (Las Vegas) has a connection to it.  I'll let you lazy bums Google it for yourselves.

Stephen Crowder's channel has been getting crappier and politically hackish for a while now but I still like how he does his "Change My Mind" segments.

This one is going to be hilarious...  Radically liberal minded people in a huff about a holiday that the only thing that people actually really care about is the food. 

32 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The US Senate used to be by appointment as well, but the corruption that grew out of the appointments as a result became too much to handle.  It was then changed to the elected senate that we have today.

Fun factoid, Clark County in Southern Nevada (Las Vegas) has a connection to it.  I'll let you lazy bums Google it for yourselves.

Wow didn't know that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Wow didn't know that.

Even though it was the 17th amendment (overturning an original section of the Constitution) that required a direct vote, I'll bet well over 90% of Americans don't either.  For over a century they were appointed by the individual state legislatures.

https://www.archives.gov/legislative/features/17th-amendment

*edit*  I posted a US gov't link, but you'll notice that it's a sanitized explanation that doesn't mention the rampant corruption as being the reason that the states were well on the way of circumventing the Congress completely.  Had the states started a constitutional convention of their own, they could have piled on all of the amendments that they wanted to reduce the federal government's power over the states.  The Southern states would have absolutely pushed forth that agenda in order to take back power that was lost after the Civil War a few decades prior.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Thanks 1

So as I understand under normal circumstances there's no way for Trump to get out of this. But afaik US Senate has to decide on wether or not to indict Trump. And seeing as the majority of the Senate are Republicans that's somehow not going to happen?

Could someone with better knowledge about the process weigh in on that?

Edited by Lateralus91
  • Upvote 1

Trump made a big mistake hiring Sondland just because he gave him a 1 million dollar donation. Sondland is independently filthy rich, he wasn't going to risk jail time to cover Trump's ass. Just exposing everyone right now. 

Time to bring this back:

EJ01gEVWwAImGNd.jpg

Edited by Duodenum
  • Upvote 3

Unfortunately none of it matters. Trump will not be convicted by the senate and his base will vote for him no matter what in 2020. The Dems still need a solid candidate or the Trump's potential 40 year dynasty will roll on. Trump to 2024, Ivanka to 2032, Trump Jr to 2040, Eric to 2048, Barron to 2056. ;P lol. 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Unfortunately none of it matters. Trump will not be convicted by the senate and his base will vote for him no matter what in 2020. The Dems still need a solid candidate or the Trump's potential 40 year dynasty will roll on. Trump to 2024, Ivanka to 2032, Trump Jr to 2040, Eric to 2048, Barron to 2056. ;P lol. 

Hillary was a loathed candidate and still almost won.  I think even an average candidate *could* still overcome the gerrymandering and voter suppression.  

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Hillary was a loathed candidate and still almost won.  I think even an average candidate *could* still overcome the gerrymandering and voter suppression.  

One could/would hope but in this day with tribalism and division as strong as ever the only way i could see it would be if enough republicans backed another republican to challenge trump for the 2020 nomination but I dont see that happening.

I really have little to no doubt that no matter what, Trumps base will stay with him. This taken from reading various sites and articles as well as discussions with friends/family who are supporters and live in the US. I can imagine those on these boards that support/voted for trump would confirm this as well. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Donna Brazille made that same point on Real Time last Friday, but I'm not so sure.....

While it's true that all of the top candidates are out-polling Trump, once again, we're talking about National numbers. Hillary out-polled the Dotard nationally as well.

The Dems need a candidate that can beat trump in swing states, like Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, Pennsylvania and Ohio. In those states, grandiose ideas like Medicaire for All don't play nearly as well as they do in Blue states. That's why I'm hoping (I'd pray, if I believed in prayer) that they nominate a moderate like mayor Pete, Klobuchar, or even Uncle Joe, rather than Bernie or Warren.

Just get that Orange Clown out of the White House and let him get back to doing damage to his own companies, rather than America, and by extension, the world.

the "big ideas" can wait until someone with a brain takes over the Oval Office.

• Thanks 1