DonLever

Donald J. Trump, Accepts GOP Renomination for President

Posted (edited)

Weekend reading - Trump's ex-lawyer Cohen tell-all book … Trump "wanted me dead"

Fri 14 Aug 2020 03:15:58 GMT

The foreword to Michael Cohen's book on Trump is available here, its an interesting read. 

Cohen pulls no punches:

I bore witness to the real man, in strip clubs, shady business meetings, and in the unguarded moments when he revealed who he really was: a cheat, a liar, a fraud, a bully, a racist, a predator, a con man.

But, its not a diatribe:

For all the hard truths I spoke about Trump, I wasn't entirely critical of him, nor will I be in these pages. I said I know Trump as a human being, not a cartoon character on television, and that means I know he's full of contradictions.

The foreword to Michael Cohen's book on Trump is available here, its an interesting read. A post for once the markets are closed for the weekend. 

From the excerpt .......... "From golden showers in a sex club in Vegas, to tax fraud, to deals with corrupt officials from the former Soviet Union, to catch and kill conspiracies to silence Trump’s clandestine lovers, I wasn’t just a witness to the president’s rise—I was an active and eager participant," he writes.

Cohen adds: "If you want to know how the mob really works, you’ve got to talk to the bad guys. I was one of Trump’s bad guys."

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)

Trump And His Campaign Amplify 'Birther' Conspiracy Against Kamala Harris

August 13, 20207:38 PM ET

Updated at 8:15 p.m. ET

President Trump stoked a controversial theory being promoted by supporters — and his campaign — that Sen. Kamala Harris of California is not eligible for the vice presidency.

The Democrat was born in California and therefore qualifies for the job.

Trump, who led a "birther" conspiracy movement against former President Barack Obama, told reporters Thursday that he heard a "highly qualified, very talented lawyer" opine that Harris didn't qualify to serve as vice president but did not know if it were true or not. Trump was responding to a question and was referring to a Newsweek opinion piece by law professor John Eastman inaccurately calling into question Harris' eligibility.

"I heard it today that she doesn't meet the requirements," Trump said. "I have no idea if that's right. I would have assumed that the Democrats would have checked that out before she gets chosen to run for vice president."

Officials from Joe Biden's campaign quickly denounced the remarks. Andrew Bates, a spokesperson for Biden, responded, calling Trump "the national leader of the grotesque, racist birther movement with respect to President Obama and has sought to fuel racism and tear our nation apart on every single day of his presidency."

"So it's unsurprising, but no less abhorrent," Bates said, "that as Trump makes a fool of himself straining to distract the American people from the horrific toll of his failed coronavirus response that his campaign and their allies would resort to wretched, demonstrably false lies in their pathetic desperation."

"This is what racism sounds like," Biden senior adviser Symone Sanders tweeted

:lol:
You had so long to prepare for her selection and this is all you got?
This is what a drowning, flailing man looks like.
What's next? Make her show her emails and 'lock her up'?
Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

USPS removes mailboxes in Portland and Eugene, cites ‘declining mail volume’

Updated Aug 13, 2020; Posted Aug 13, 2020 
Mailboxes removed in Portland, Eugene due to declining volume, USPS says

At least 4 mailboxes in Portland and several in Eugene were removed this week, the USPS said. Torsten Kjellstrand/The Oregonian LC- The OregonianLC- The Oregonian

Facebook Share
Twitter Share
shares

Residents of Portland and Eugene were alarmed this week to see some U.S. Postal Service mailboxes removed from neighborhood streets and hauled away in flatbed trucks.

Hmm.  It's removing mailboxes from a largely democrat area.  I wonder why?

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/08/usps-removes-mailboxes-in-portland-and-eugene-cites-declining-mail-volume.html

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Trump And His Campaign Amplify 'Birther' Conspiracy Against Kamala Harris

August 13, 20207:38 PM ET

Updated at 8:15 p.m. ET

President Trump stoked a controversial theory being promoted by supporters — and his campaign — that Sen. Kamala Harris of California is not eligible for the vice presidency.

The Democrat was born in California and therefore qualifies for the job.

Trump, who led a "birther" conspiracy movement against former President Barack Obama, told reporters Thursday that he heard a "highly qualified, very talented lawyer" opine that Harris didn't qualify to serve as vice president but did not know if it were true or not. Trump was responding to a question and was referring to a Newsweek opinion piece by law professor John Eastman inaccurately calling into question Harris' eligibility.

"I heard it today that she doesn't meet the requirements," Trump said. "I have no idea if that's right. I would have assumed that the Democrats would have checked that out before she gets chosen to run for vice president."

Officials from Joe Biden's campaign quickly denounced the remarks. Andrew Bates, a spokesperson for Biden, responded, calling Trump "the national leader of the grotesque, racist birther movement with respect to President Obama and has sought to fuel racism and tear our nation apart on every single day of his presidency."

"So it's unsurprising, but no less abhorrent," Bates said, "that as Trump makes a fool of himself straining to distract the American people from the horrific toll of his failed coronavirus response that his campaign and their allies would resort to wretched, demonstrably false lies in their pathetic desperation."

"This is what racism sounds like," Biden senior adviser Symone Sanders tweeted

:lol:
You had so long to prepare for her selection and this is all you got?
This is what a drowning, flailing man looks like.
What's next? Make her show her emails and 'lock her up'?

Hmmm....I wonder if it was Rudy......or maybe Judge Jeanine.....:rolleyes:

Totally correct on the last paragraph, BTW. Harris has been the front runner since day one and they've got nothing. Their best talking point was supplied by a Democrat and another woman of color to boot.

What an incompetent campaign team....

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hmmm....I wonder if it was Rudy......or maybe Judge Jeanine.....:rolleyes:

Totally correct on the last paragraph, BTW. Harris has been the front runner since day one and they've got nothing. Their best talking point was supplied by a Democrat and another woman of color to boot.

What an incompetent campaign team....

no surprise they are going with the old hits, people tend to go with what worked for them in the past. I'm sure we'll see a 2.0 of "... and some may be good people" border ranting soon too. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BoKnows said:

USPS removes mailboxes in Portland and Eugene, cites ‘declining mail volume’

Updated Aug 13, 2020; Posted Aug 13, 2020 
Mailboxes removed in Portland, Eugene due to declining volume, USPS says

At least 4 mailboxes in Portland and several in Eugene were removed this week, the USPS said. Torsten Kjellstrand/The Oregonian LC- The OregonianLC- The Oregonian

Facebook Share
Twitter Share
shares

Residents of Portland and Eugene were alarmed this week to see some U.S. Postal Service mailboxes removed from neighborhood streets and hauled away in flatbed trucks.

Hmm.  It's removing mailboxes from a largely democrat area.  I wonder why?

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/08/usps-removes-mailboxes-in-portland-and-eugene-cites-declining-mail-volume.html

I remember having a debate with some of the pro Trump crowd a few hundred or so pages ago....

...in general, they were scoffing at the idea that the Republicans would attempt to suppress the vote. I wonder if they would still stick to that argument, in light of this blatant attempt by the Trump campaign to keep people from voting.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

From the excerpt .......... "From golden showers in a sex club in Vegas, to tax fraud, to deals with corrupt officials from the former Soviet Union, to catch and kill conspiracies to silence Trump’s clandestine lovers, I wasn’t just a witness to the president’s rise—I was an active and eager participant," he writes.

Cohen adds: "If you want to know how the mob really works, you’ve got to talk to the bad guys. I was one of Trump’s bad guys."

this is sort of interesting since Cohen probably has real hard evidence of many of these things, so if Trump tries to sue him then the evidence can be made public. 

I do wonder just how badly Cohen wants to hurt Trump.... will he leak tapes anyway? thats when this thing might get some actual effect. Everyone already knows what kind of a slime Trump is, but releasing actual tapes and / or documentation is another thing. 

Trump probably can't even remember the details of many of these things so he may not even know everywhere  he's vulnerable. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

no surprise they are going with the old hits, people tend to go with what worked for them in the past. I'm sure we'll see a 2.0 of "... and some may be good people" border ranting soon too. 

I think they have a bit of a problem with Harris....

What they should be doing is hammering away at her record as a prosecutor, but most of the ammo (like that provided by Gabbard) is that she was too harsh. It's pretty tough for the Trump campaign to sell that to voters as a negative, since they've been hammering away at the Democrats' support of "lawlessness and anarchy" for the past several months.

Trump has been trying to paint himself as the "law and order" candidate, (although a more accurate descriptor would be "Above the law and Disorder") so all he has left to attack Kamala on is a weak birther conspiracy, that must sound hollow, even to his supporters.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

this is sort of interesting since Cohen probably has real hard evidence of many of these things, so if Trump tries to sue him then the evidence can be made public. 

I do wonder just how badly Cohen wants to hurt Trump.... will he leak tapes anyway? thats when this thing might get some actual effect. Everyone already knows what kind of a slime Trump is, but releasing actual tapes and / or documentation is another thing. 

Trump probably can't even remember the details of many of these things so he may not even know everywhere  he's vulnerable. 

I think Bone Spurs may have erred in pushing to have Cohen sent back to jail, after being released to house arrest because of Covid. My guess is that Cohen looked at that as a potentially life threatening action, given the high rate of infection at prisons.

I'd say he's pretty pissed....

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

What they should be doing is hammering away at her record as a prosecutor, but most of the ammo (like that provided by Gabbard) is that she was too harsh. It's pretty tough for the Trump campaign to sell that to voters as a negative, since they've been hammering away at the Democrats' support of "lawlessness and anarchy" for the past several months.

Trump has been trying to paint himself as the "law and order" candidate, (although a more accurate descriptor would be "Above the law and Disorder") so all he has left to attack Kamala on is a weak birther conspiracy, that must sound hollow, even to his supporters.

its pretty funny that "too harsh" is the criticism, since most of the time the right tries to portray female leaders as too weak. Most moderates won't be bothered by her record given all the other things at play. The fringe progressives might rant but I think Biden probably gained a lot more supporters than he lost with this move.

We're going to see a shotgun blast of BS coming out of Trump, probably daily as he realizes he's going to be a 1 term wonder. 

• Hydration 3

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think Bone Spurs may have erred in pushing to have Cohen sent back to jail, after being released to house arrest because of Covid. My guess is that Cohen looked at that as a potentially life threatening action, given the high rate of infection at prisons.

I'd say he's pretty pissed....

i guess if he does have anything real we'll find out soon. But this guy is also a douche of the highest order, I wouldn't believe anything he says that doesn't come with tape or 3rd party documentation or some kind of hard evidence. 

Just now, Robert Long said:

its pretty funny that "too harsh" is the criticism, since most of the time the right tries to portray female leaders as too weak. Most moderates won't be bothered by her record given all the other things at play. The fringe progressives might rant but I think Biden probably gained a lot more supporters than he lost with this move.

We're going to see a shotgun blast of BS coming out of Trump, probably daily as he realizes he's going to be a 1 term wonder. 

Agreed. The opposition to DNA testing for the guy on death row is a bit problematic, but it's far more nuanced than the claim from some people that she "deliberately suppressed evidence that would have freed a condemned man".

What they leave out there, is that at the time, there was no proof that the testing would have exonerated the man, so there was no actual "evidence" to suppress. They also fail to mention that she later changed her mind and supported the testing, which did eventually happen, but on Gavin Newsome's watch.

Just now, Robert Long said:

i guess if he does have anything real we'll find out soon. But this guy is also a douche of the highest order, I wouldn't believe anything he says that doesn't come with tape or 3rd party documentation or some kind of hard evidence. 

Me either....but Trump got where he is by lying, cheating and generally being a scumbag....

Live by the sword, die by the sword....

• Hydration 2

Agreed. The opposition to DNA testing for the guy on death row is a bit problematic, but it's far more nuanced than the claim from some people that she "deliberately suppressed evidence that would have freed a condemned man".

What they leave out there, is that at the time, there was no proof that the testing would have exonerated the man, so there was no actual "evidence" to suppress. They also fail to mention that she later changed her mind and supported the testing, which did eventually happen, but on Gavin Newsome's watch.

not just that, but she was also doing her job in an adversarial system, there are going to be some hard decisions in that kind of job. Its not a good look for the unforgiving segment of the left but I wonder how big a group that really is now.  

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

not just that, but she was also doing her job in an adversarial system, there are going to be some hard decisions in that kind of job. Its not a good look for the unforgiving segment of the left but I wonder how big a group that really is now.  

The other question is, even if some of the fringe left is outraged, are they really going to vote for Trump in protest? Not likely. The best Bone Spurs can hope for is that they stay home, but I think those particular folks will be far more outraged by what this administration has done to things like Health Care, minority rights, environmental regulations and a woman's right to choose....

• Hydration 1

18 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's a good point.......trying to use her record against her isn't going to sway Democrats, they'd for vote for anyone to get trump out right now, but it might sway on the fence Republicans toward Biden/harris, who are far closer to true Republican values than trump and the Tea Party are.

• Hydration 2

Of course he did.  Don't worry.  It'll be harder for the average Jane and Joe, but the POTUS, FLOTUS, and numerous administration officials will get their mail in ballots.  You can guarantee it.

usatoday link

President Trump requests mail-in ballot for upcoming Florida primary, despite rhetoric

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember having a debate with some of the pro Trump crowd a few hundred or so pages ago....

...in general, they were scoffing at the idea that the Republicans would attempt to suppress the vote. I wonder if they would still stick to that argument, in light of this blatant attempt by the Trump campaign to keep people from voting.

To be fair it seems like a crazy idea in a democracy like the USA.

Everything that's coming out though makes it impossible to ignore.

26 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

To be fair it seems like a crazy idea in a democracy like the USA.

Everything that's coming out though makes it impossible to ignore.

It's more blatant now (Trump has even admitted it) but attempts at suppressing the vote have been going on for a while now. Republicans believe that less votes being cast will benefit Republicans. That's why there have been polling station closures and restrictive laws (such as specific ID requirements) for the past several years in Red states.

There used to be denial from the right leaning folks on CDC that this was happening, or assertions that restrictive laws were "necessary" to protect against voter fraud. (Which study after study has proven to be almost nonexistent) I can't see how those people can still maintain the "nothing to see here" mantra, in light of Trump's actions with the USPS....

It's more blatant now (Trump has even admitted it) but attempts at suppressing the vote have been going on for a while now. Republicans believe that less votes being cast will benefit Republicans. That's why there have been polling station closures and restrictive laws (such as specific ID requirements) for the past several years in Red states.

There used to be denial from the right leaning folks on CDC that this was happening, or assertions that restrictive laws were "necessary" to protect against voter fraud. (Which study after study has proven to be almost nonexistent) I can't see how those people can still maintain the "nothing to see here" mantra, in light of Trump's actions with the USPS....

Conservatism bias, and they're probably anchored to a different piece of information.

To be fair I think some people have the curse of knowledge on this board.  If someone is misinformed I've others be quick to make a snarky or condescending comment.  That only further segregates them from the truth in my opinion.