The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

you need toughness and good fighters

hockeygod77

ok i admit when i see good scrap in hockey it gets my juices going...my ideal team that linden should build should be tough player on the backend with two offensive d men...two intimidating forwards with some skill and one super power line like the sedins and etc...if you want to win the cup you need to have that intimidating player not just super star lines...the canucks got pushed around and the bruins won with that recipe...all cup winners have good skilled tough guys...the kings are a good example...sign a goon and play rough tough hockey to year end..it would be fun to watch...

Just now, hockeygod77 said:

ok i admit when i see good scrap in hockey it gets my juices going...my ideal team that linden should build should be tough player on the backend with two offensive d men...two intimidating forwards with some skill and one super power line like the sedins and etc...if you want to win the up you need to have that intimidating player not just super star lines...the canucks got pushed around and the bruins won with that recipe...all cup winners have good skilled tough guys...the kings are a good example...sign a goon and play rough tough hockey to year end..it would be fun to watch...

i think its easier said than done ..  I love the idea of getting tough players that allow their teammates to play bigger .   the problem is that they have to be more than 1 dimensional .. the n.h.l game doesnt  allow for that anymore . its a big ask to be honest .    

never said it was easy but thats the balance you need..as much as some fans or nhl brass want fighting out of hockey i think teams will win that have those type of guys..watch closely as the season draws closer to the playoffs which teams step up in that department o set the tone for the others....you  can say whatever but in my books tough character guys with sub par skill are better than just pure skill players...need a mix but id take the 3 quarter skill with the balance tough.. a good example is when horvat gets older i hope he gets meaner...he would look great with a bit of an edge ...

3 hours ago, hockeygod77 said:

never said it was easy but thats the balance you need..as much as some fans or nhl brass want fighting out of hockey i think teams will win that have those type of guys..watch closely as the season draws closer to the playoffs which teams step up in that department o set the tone for the others....you  can say whatever but in my books tough character guys with sub par skill are better than just pure skill players...need a mix but id take the 3 quarter skill with the balance tough.. a good example is when horvat gets older i hope he gets meaner...he would look great with a bit of an edge ...

Sadly, I would say don't hold your breath on that one. Having said that I would never ask a player to fight if it is not in his nature.

As to your post, I am on record as saying similar and I think it gets done in the draft. I think a glance at who JB drafts illustrates that he realises that guys like Sven and Bo are going to need the same type of protection we didn't give to the Sedins. 

Chicago and Tampa were in the finals last year without a bunch of fighters. You are going to get goonish teams in the playoffs like LA, Boston but they seem to be the outlier going forward. Staying healthy probably is better than having a goon or fighters with no skill.

I don't think you need fighters.

What you do need are players that hold the oppositional accountable though.  Guys like Willie MItchell that do not tolerate cheap play against them or against team mates. 

Not a fighter per say.  But guys that confront bullies and stand up for teamates.

It could be a fight from time to time or it could a bit of the Dark Arts in the corner / front of net........    The Darks Arts is that kind of payback that sends a message but isn't a fight.... Yes it exists in hockey. 

31 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I don't think you need fighters.

What you do need are players that hold the oppositional accountable though.  Guys like Willie MItchell that do not tolerate cheap play against them or against team mates. 

Not a fighter per say.  But guys that confront bullies and stand up for teamates.

It could be a fight from time to time or it could a bit of the Dark Arts in the corner / front of net........    The Darks Arts is that kind of payback that sends a message but isn't a fight.... Yes it exists in hockey. 

The "Dark Arts"? This ain't Harry Potter bruh :P

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Sadly, I would say don't hold your breath on that one. Having said that I would never ask a player to fight if it is not in his nature.

As to your post, I am on record as saying similar and I think it gets done in the draft. I think a glance at who JB drafts illustrates that he realises that guys like Sven and Bo are going to need the same type of protection we didn't give to the Sedins. 

I think Bo will fight if he has to..its not his game though..back in junior he fought Pedan of all people and did well for himself.....but he will never be known as a fighter.

6 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I think Bo will fight if he has to..its not his game though..back in junior he fought Pedan of all people and did well for himself.....but he will never be known as a fighter.

He's a big strong guy that would probably fight to stand up for a teammate.  But I don't see him being challenged too often, for the above reason and that he doesn't play an edgy game.  He plays hard and uses his size, but not dirty in any way.

While toughness and pugilism is still well entrenched in the NHL, it's really mental toughness and physical endurance that wins out.

The Canucks have been taken off their game far too many times by being physically outmatched. This has more to do with the other team having an overall larger roster that can pile on the hits and neuter any offensive output, versus a fight breaking out.

Too many players left over from the last Cup run display a level of insecurity when the team begins a slide. These players need to be traded to other teams so that both parties have a clean slate going forward.

When your captain allows the opposition to punch him in the head 5 times with no payback... What kind of a message does that send to your team ?

Still choked by that event.  You just can't let that happen in hockey. Wrong message to send. 

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

When your captain allows the opposition to punch him in the head 5 times with no payback... What kind of a message does that send to your team ?

Still choked by that event.  You just can't let that happen in hockey. Wrong message to send. 

jeepers, reminded me of something I heard once.......next thing you know I'll be reliving my childhood :blink::bigblush:

Everybody, listen to me, and return me, my ship

I'm your captain, I'm your captain, although I'm feeling, mighty sick.

Archived