The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Holtby, first to win 50 in a season?

danjr

Wow the guy has 33 wins already.

Caps have 31 games left to play.  47 wins is what Luongo got here.  Same year Brodeur got his 48.  If I recall correctly.

If he plays 22 games and wins at his current winning percentage he could easily do it.

I think if he is within 5 in his last ten games of the season the team will go for it, instead of resting him.  That would be a hell of a record, considering the state of the NHL and resting starters a lot more.  I think it would be cool.

If he stays healthy, he breaks the record. If he gets to 49, the Caps rest him until the playoffs start though - no sense in grinding him into the dust for 52 wins only to see him cream-crackered in a first round exit.

I think it'll come down to the wire. 31 games left, if Holtby plays 20-25 of them you'd expect him to win around 15 of those games, even if he slows down a bit later on in the season. I think it'll come down to that last game. Might not crack 50 but he'll come damn close to tying the record.

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Washington has been one of this season's great stories.  Tanking is for the weak.

I wonder how many people will look at the Capitals this season and ignore the fact that they got there by making good trades, signing solid free agents and developing prospects well and still attribute the team's success to Ovechkin being a first overall pick.

21 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

I wonder how many people will look at the Capitals this season and ignore the fact that they got there by making good trades, signing solid free agents and developing prospects well and still attribute the team's success to Ovechkin being a first overall pick.

People probably said the same thing about the Canucks in 2011.

Just now, thejazz97 said:

People probably said the same thing about the Canucks in 2011.

The sad thing is that I've seen it happen here.

"So, we traded for Luongo, got a Selke winning season from 23rd overall Kesler, and signed Hamhuis and Malhotra in the preceding offseason."

"Nah bro, Sedins second and third overall."

Just now, Winter Soldier said:

"So, we traded for Luongo, got a Selke winning season from 23rd overall Kesler, and signed Hamhuis and Malhotra in the preceding offseason."

Wow.

1 hour ago, Winter Soldier said:

It's the same thing as ignoring that they drafted a generational talent with a 1st overall and a #1 center with their 4th overall.

Just because they acquired talent through other means doesn't mean that they didn't pick up two crucial pieces from a rebuild.

It's generally accepted that you will have to acquire talents through other means than just picking at the top of the draft year after year. Most of the teams that have had Cup success in the cap era have done exactly that. Drafted a couple of core guys at the top of the draft and filled the rest of the core by making smart trades, FA signings and making their lower picks count.

5 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

If he stays healthy, he breaks the record. If he gets to 49, the Caps rest him until the playoffs start though - no sense in grinding him into the dust for 52 wins only to see him cream-crackered in a first round exit.

If he gets to 49, I highly doubt Holtby rests till he gets 50.

9 minutes ago, Losing With Pride said:

Could you imagine if they still had Forsberg

Oh god that'll be very very deadly for the Capitals if they still had Forsberg in their system. It's not like they're not a deadly team right now but Forsberg would just put them over the top with that offensive ability that he has. 

But still the Capitals deserve to go far in the playoffs and I'll be cheering them on if no Canadian teams make it towards the playoffs.

GO Ovie Go!

1 hour ago, falcon45ca said:

If he gets to 49, I highly doubt Holtby rests till he gets 50.

If you think the Caps are going to jeopardise their chances of winning the Cup, just so he can get to a round number, you're not thinking strategically. They have a capable backup in Philipp Grubauer, and he also needs games under his belt in case Holtby injures himself and Grubauer gets called into action.

Get the record, rest up for the playoffs. Anything else is bad management.

5 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

If you think the Caps are going to jeopardise their chances of winning the Cup, just so he can get to a round number, you're not thinking strategically. They have a capable backup in Philipp Grubauer, and he also needs games under his belt in case Holtby injures himself and Grubauer gets called into action.

Get the record, rest up for the playoffs. Anything else is bad management.

Haha, if you think a player and professional competitor is not going to try and take that shot at 50 wins if/when he's at 49, you don't know squat about sports.

5 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

People don't seem to want to acknowledge that it was/is the combination of all these things: internal development, trades and UFA signings.

Pretty much every Cup winner is.

Archived