The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Holtby, first to win 50 in a season?

danjr

2 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Haha, if you think a player and professional competitor is not going to try and take that shot at 50 wins if/when he's at 49, you don't know squat about sports.

Haha, if you think the General Manager, coaching staff and fans of the Washington Capitals would consider, even 1%, jeopardizing their chances of a Cup just so one single solitary player can extend a record, you don't know squat about how seriously management takes sports.

And if you think Holtby would do anything other than say 'I've done the record, now I'll rest up, keep sharp, and win 16 games in the playoffs', then you don't know squat about Braden Holtby's character. He wants to break the record AND win the Cup. If you asked him which he'd rather win, there's only one answer he'd give.

2 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Haha, if you think a player and professional competitor is not going to try and take that shot at 50 wins if/when he's at 49, you don't know squat about sports.

Of all the records we got in 2011, do you think any of them mean anything to the players without winning the cup? Give your head a shake. Washington is not going  to jeopardize their shot at a cup by tiring their superstar goalie just for 50 wins.. 

37 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

Haha, if you think the General Manager, coaching staff and fans of the Washington Capitals would consider, even 1%, jeopardizing their chances of a Cup just so one single solitary player can extend a record, you don't know squat about how seriously management takes sports.

And if you think Holtby would do anything other than say 'I've done the record, now I'll rest up, keep sharp, and win 16 games in the playoffs', then you don't know squat about Braden Holtby's character. He wants to break the record AND win the Cup. If you asked him which he'd rather win, there's only one answer he'd give.

5 minutes ago, ovechkinisgod said:

Of all the records we got in 2011, do you think any of them means anything to the players without winning the cup? Give your head a shake. Washington is not going  to jeopardize their shot at a cup by tiring their superstar goalie just for 50 wins.. 

Well, when Marty Brodeur pushed for the record in 06-07', he played up to the 81st game. So yeah, I'd bet if Holtby is at 49 wins with 2-3 games left, he plays to push for 50 wins. 

I never said Holtby didn't want to win the Cup, or wouldn't rather win the Cup than hold the record so don't put words in my mouth.

Right now Holtby's on pace to play 67 games, which is quite a few, & he's got 33 wins in 42 starts. If he maintains he'll get 52-53 wins. Time will tell, but if he gets to 49 wins we'll see if he plays.

• 2 months later...
On 08/02/2016 at 5:06 PM, falcon45ca said:

So how did grinding their goalie to the ground during the regular season help the Caps? They over-worked Holtby and he looked weak throughout the only part of the season that means something.

But I guess they'll always have Holtby's 48 wins.

1 hour ago, Captain Woodget said:

So how did grinding their goalie to the ground during the regular season help the Caps? They over-worked Holtby and he looked weak throughout the only part of the season that means something.

This. Didnt beat broduer record and 2nd round exit. 

43 minutes ago, John Tortorella said:

This. Didnt beat broduer record and 2nd round exit. 

So many people on CDC thought the Caps should ride Holtby to 49, 50, even 55 wins - you lock up a playoff spot, then rest your goalie as much as you can without letting get rusty. His stats looked better than they should have done - Holtby was not at his best, and lost crucial OT games as well.

6 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

The question wasn't whether or not that would be a good strategy, but if that's what Holtby & the Caps would do...& they did. 

Sorry bud, but you were wrong. Holtby pushed for the 50 wins, and it may have burned him out.

1 hour ago, falcon45ca said:

The question wasn't whether or not that would be a good strategy, but if that's what Holtby & the Caps would do...& they did. 

Sorry bud, but you were wrong. Holtby pushed for the 50 wins, and it may have burned him out.

The Caps clinched the President's Trophy on 28 March. After that they had 7 games left of the regular season - Holtby started 5, winning 2, with Grubaer starting 2 and winning neither.

In the first 75 games, Holtby started 61 games - 81%.

In the last 7 games, Holtby started 5 games - 71%.

They actually started him less. So who was wrong?

4 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

The Caps clinched the President's Trophy on 28 March. After that they had 7 games left of the regular season - Holtby started 5, winning 2, with Grubaer starting 2 and winning neither.

In the first 75 games, Holtby started 61 games - 81%.

In the last 7 games, Holtby started 5 games - 71%.

They actually started him less. So who was wrong?

:picard: Comparing stats from 75 games to 7 games is incredibly foolish.

You said the Caps would rest Holtby up for the playoffs. They didn't. You were wrong.

On 2/10/2016 at 7:44 PM, Realtor Rod said:

You give Trotz a team and look what he does.

Yes, he's an excellent regular season coach.  But clearly he had the better team against Pit.  Holtby was the better goalie too.  He played great.  He could win 50 next year.

1 minute ago, falcon45ca said:

:picard: Comparing stats from 75 games to 7 games is incredibly foolish.

You said the Caps would rest Holtby up for the playoffs. They didn't. You were wrong.

:picard: How else do you establish the comparative usage?

The Caps secured the President's Trophy, and played Holtby less. Had they or he been pushing for the record, he'd have played all 7 games.

7 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

:picard:How else do you establish the comparative usage?

The Caps secured the President's Trophy, and played Holtby less. Had they or he been pushing for the record, he'd have played all 7 games.

That's the whole point, You can't when dealing with such disparate numbers. One game will skew your results hard in one direction or the other.

1 game in 75 is 1.3%. 1 game in 7 is 14%. See how that works? 

I'm done with this nonsense, you're contradicting yourself. You said this morning that they overworked Holtby and rode him into the ground. Now you're saying they rested him up for the playoffs. Can't have it both ways bud, sorry I know it's hard to admit when you're mistaken. Use this as a life lesson & move on.

2 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

That's the whole point, You can't when dealing with such disparate numbers. One game will skew your results hard in one direction or the other.

1 game in 75 is 1.3%. 1 game in 7 is 14%. See how that works? 

I'm done with this nonsense, you're contradicting yourself. You said this morning that they overworked Holtby and rode him into the ground. Now you're saying they rested him up for the playoffs. Can't have it both ways bud, sorry I know it's hard to admit when you're mistaken. Use this as a life lesson & move on.

Ah, how I've missed this :)

Speaking as a professional statistician, of 16 years and counting, you can only use the numbers available. Regardless of the ratios, 7 games is all you can use to determine whether or not Holtby was used more or less.

Their over-use of Holtby was actually in the playoffs - playing a goalie for all 12 playoff games is not going to give you best results. As we proved with Luongo for years. The comparative rest they gave him in the final stretch was pointless when you see how he was used in the playoffs.

So yes, I can have it both ways. The Caps did, and lost. But they didn't push for Holtby to get the record, as you stated they would. So therein lay the life lesson.

2 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

Ah, how I've missed this :)

Speaking as a professional statistician, of 16 years and counting, you can only use the numbers available. Regardless of the ratios, 7 games is all you can use to determine whether or not Holtby was used more or less.

Their over-use of Holtby was actually in the playoffs - playing a goalie for all 12 playoff games is not going to give you best results. As we proved with Luongo for years. The comparative rest they gave him in the final stretch was pointless when you see how he was used in the playoffs.

So yes, I can have it both ways. The Caps did, and lost. But they didn't push for Holtby to get the record, as you stated they would. So therein lay the life lesson.

How many games did the Pittsburgh goalie play?

Archived