The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Big Buff, TO's Phnuff...Dmen Trade Prospects Drying Up

TheGuardian_

First Buff is off the market, now Dion has found a new home, That leaves an injured Yandle, and expensive Shattenkirk, if traded for now, Hamhuis and ?????

I would have to think that the phone in the GM's office is ringing, but is it answered.

Is the sign on the door;

"Open For Business!"

or

"Gone Fishing"

Rangers are highly unlikely to move Yandle, they're in the playoff hunt. Islanders more likely to pick up Vrbata to play wing to Tavares than trading away D. St Louis just lost a D man to injury so they probably hang onto Shattenkirk now. Demers, Goligoski, and Schultz are probably all available but Hamhuis is still the better option.

Canucks shouldn't wait till the deadline to do something, sell sell sell before other teams get their hands on someone else instead.

I'd like to see Edler moved, and Hamhuis re-signed short-term as a mentor to new defensive prospects.  Edler just doesn't seem to have that leadership trait.  I think I remember hearing that Edler wasn't willing to waive a NTC though, so that's a problem.

We can definitely move Edler and embrace the tank. We would get a king's ransom for a #3 Dman (with an affinity to brain farts). By the end of the year we can have all the prospects we need to rebuild. If we tank we would most likely get a top 4 pick, and any of Matthews, Pulujarvi (spelling?), Laine or Tkachuk would really round off our prospect pool along with any Dmen prospects/picks we get for Edler. This could go a long way in the rebuild if JB plays his cards right.

If they don't want to move Edler they have to at least move Hamhuis. No point in keeping both especially with the market for Dmen being what it is.

1 minute ago, meh_wassup said:

We can definitely move Edler and embrace the tank. We would get a king's ransom for a #3 Dman (with an affinity to brain farts). By the end of the year we can have all the prospects we need to rebuild. If we tank we would most likely get a top 4 pick, and any of Matthews, Pulujarvi (spelling?), Laine or Tkachuk would really round off our prospect pool along with any Dmen prospects/picks we get for Edler. This could go a long way in the rebuild if JB plays his cards right.

If they don't want to move Edler they have to at least move Hamhuis. No point in keeping both especially with the market for Dmen being what it is.

Not to mention boeser is having a record year for a freshman in North Dakota. Looks like he could break the record for freshman scoring, beating out players like Toews, parise, Brock Nelson. Demko is lighting it up. Really excited for the Canucks in 3-4 years

40 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Rangers are highly unlikely to move Yandle, they're in the playoff hunt. Islanders more likely to pick up Vrbata to play wing to Tavares than trading away D. St Louis just lost a D man to injury so they probably hang onto Shattenkirk now. Demers, Goligoski, and Schultz are probably all available but Hamhuis is still the better option.

Canucks shouldn't wait till the deadline to do something, sell sell sell before other teams get their hands on someone else instead.

I wouldn't be in an indecent rush if there aren't a lot (even any) comparable D on the market.  Get the auction going and let the buyers' agony build but then yes, end it a bit in advance of the deadline. 

2 minutes ago, Canucks1527 said:

Not to mention boeser is having a record year for a freshman in North Dakota. Looks like he could break the record for freshman scoring, beating out players like Toews, parise, Brock Nelson. Demko is lighting it up. Really excited for the Canucks in 3-4 years

Yeah, all we need is a few young D of the same caliber and we're good to go.

4 minutes ago, Canucks1527 said:

I agree, I'm fairly comfortable with our forward group as long as we get one of the elite offensive forwards I mentioned.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

First Buff is off the market, now Dion has found a new home, That leaves an injured Yandle, and expensive Shattenkirk, if traded for now, Hamhuis and ?????

I would have to think that the phone in the GM's office is ringing, but is it answered.

Is the sign on the door;

"Open For Business!"

or

"Gone Fishing"

Gillis was fired. Open for business.

51 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

All moot if Hamhuis won't waive his NTC.

I know this is kind of an ugly thing to do to a good man like Dan Hamhuis, but if I were JB, I'd advise him that the team has no interest in re-signing him in the summer, thereby almost insuring that Hammer feel the need to go elsewhere at TDL to show himself and up his stock for another contract somewhere. A good playoff run could earn him plenty more dollars come July 1.

Archived