The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bouma, Monahan, Gaudreau scratched vs Toronto

HC20.0

Sorry, can't post link, on my phone, but it's on both TSN and the Score. Calgary's dynamic duo and another one of their best forwards scratched for disciplinary reasons. Calgary will go with 11 forwards and 7D vs Toronto. Gutsy move by Hartly, but sending a very good message. Apparently Flames players had a very lacklustre practice today, and Hartly canned practice after 25 minutes. I wonder if it's related at all, or if the young guns were out having fun. 

Just now, HC20.0 said:

Right, thanks. It was Bouma though that got scratched too.

Why? He's sending a well earned message.

Extactly. It's a great message, but it will piss off Gaudreau and Monahan. The franchise players getting scratched while your're fighting for a playoff spot. 

Just now, Blueberries said:

Extactly. It's a great message, but it will piss off Gaudreau and Monahan. The franchise players getting scratched while your're fighting for a playoff spot. 

True enough, but if Hartly loses his job at the end of the year, then that's sad. He's been a hell of a coach for Calgary, and the fact that he has the balls to bench his star players speaks volumes about how much crap he'll tolerate. None. If I was the Flames GM, I'd be applauding Hartley for scratching them. You have to put the team before yourself, which Monahan and Gaudreau did not. 

2 minutes ago, HC20.0 said:

True enough, but if Hartly loses his job at the end of the year, then that's sad. He's been a hell of a coach for Calgary, and the fact that he has the balls to bench his star players speaks volumes about how much crap he'll tolerate. None. If I was the Flames GM, I'd be applauding Hartley for scratching them. You have to put the team before yourself, which Monahan and Gaudreau did not. 

Yep. Times have changed though, coaches now have to please the players otherwise get the boot. Torts with VAN is an example of now and Torts with CBJ is what used to happen.

My first thought was they were going full tank mode, but I can see a benefit to this move even if it's not tank related.

My motivate the guys scratched when they return, and might motivate the guys playing in their absence and might bring the team closer together because of it.  Heck, Flames are only 3 points back with a game in hand so a little run motivated by these scratches could mean we pass them in the Matthews sweepstakes. 

Archived