The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Hamhuis. What To Do.

Boddy604

If Canucks pull out a win tomorrow, that puts them right back into the playoff picture. 

They'll be 2 points up on the Coyotes (but Arizona will have a game in hand), tied with the Wild (but they'll also have a game in hand) and they'll be 2 points back of Colorado and Nashville (while having 2 games in hand vs the Avs). 

That's pretty reasonable chances.

I think Vrbata being traded is a done deal, there's no reason to hold onto him past the TD. None. Zero. Cracknell can play RW in the bottom 6 where Vrbata is right now. Or Dorsett goes back to right and Shink, Gaunce, or Zalewski gets brought up to play left. Bye Vrbata. You have over stayed your welcome. Hamhuis though? He's been on fire and looks GREAT. Like 2011 Hamhuis great.

If we get back into the playoff picture, do you think Benning really even CAN get rid of Hamhuis with the Aquilini "always make the playoffs" mantra?

I'm not saying we SHOULD keep Hamhuis but if playoffs become a reality again between now and Feb 29 (and Hamhuis continues being the impact guy he has been since returning), is there really much of any chance Benning does hurt the team and their "playoff chances" to get a return?

I think Hamhuis will end up staying if we get back in the picture. And if he continues playing like this, I'd imagine he gets resigned too.

Of course, if we lose tomorrow then hope is pretty gone again and he's right back to prime trade candidate lol but right now? I'm not sure what'll happen.

This isn't a "what would you do" thread. Just more a speculation of what the team getting back into the race likely forces Benning to do (or not do, more specifically).

Do you think he goes for it anyways? Playoffs be damned.

if they don't trade him then lets hope Benning is ready to pack his bags up after two years max. Do you think this fan base will forgive him? Even if this team makes the playoffs and lets say gets eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round the fan base will not forget what a opportunity it had to get a decent prospect! So bye bye Benning nice seeing yah, because you will not create a contender with subpar players and no real defensive talent in your prospect pool dream on Benning.

2 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

if they don't trade him then lets hope Benning is ready to pack his bags up after two years max. Do you think this fan base will forgive him? Even if this team makes the playoffs and lets say gets eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round the fan base will not forget what a opportunity it had to get a decent prospect! So bye bye Benning nice seeing yah, because you will not create a contender with subpar players and no real defensive talent in your prospect pool dream on Benning.

But if Benning trades him off then the Nucks get tossed in the 1st round cuz of weak D play, fans are gonna blame him anyways. He's kinda screwed either way at least in how fans react. If they don't trade Hammer though I think they kinda have to resign him. And keeping Hammer makes sense too.

3 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

But if Benning trades him off then the Nucks get tossed in the 1st round cuz of weak D play, fans are gonna blame him anyways. He's kinda screwed either way at least in how fans react. If they don't trade Hammer though I think they kinda have to resign him. And keeping Hammer makes sense too.

Benning is not going to get blamed if he gets picks and continues to transition. If Benning doesn't move him there is a bigger risk. 

1) they can still miss playoffs that would equal a disaster

2) a 1st round exit with hammer

3) hammer gets injuired

way too many risks to keep him, fan-base is ready if they get a decent return for hammer no1 will mind a 1st round exit, lots of fans know this teams holes are way too many to handle with just hammer. 

Honestly, I sort of wish we could keep him. He's got another few years left in him as a top 4 D imo, and has been playing great since his return. But I suppose if we're rebuilding, it makes sense for him to move on at his age. We'll want a good D prospect in return and possibly a draft pick depending on how many teams are interested.

I hope if we do trade him, at least it's to a cup contender. Hammer has been a great D-man for us, I've always liked him.

1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

Trade him for the best return we can get regardless of how well we do from now til the deadline.

So get rid of one of the best d men we have for whatever we can get? id say get rid of him if it's worth it. Otherwise it's a dumb move 

If the Canucks wanted to sign him and keep him beyond this season, they would've done it already.  There has been no discussions between his agent and the team, so it's quite fair to assume that his time is up in Vancouver and as any GM knows, it's best to dump pending UFAs for SOMETHING when there is a shortage of quality D-men.  Why waste keeping him until end of season when there is no hope for this team to do anything this year.  Anyone with sense, would trade him and I believe Jim Benning is smart enough to recognize an opportunity to cash in on hammer.

Hamhuis' value might never be higher than it is right now, so Benning has to strike while the iron is hot. The return for Hamhuis at this time would probably be pretty huge and could cut significant time off our rebuild, and isn't that what's important? Chances are we miss the playoffs anyway but even if we dont, then what? We get to see Chicago or Dallas for four or five games in the first round and then we're gone and have nothing to show for it.

Archived