The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Hamhuis. What To Do.

Boddy604

6 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

if they don't trade him then lets hope Benning is ready to pack his bags up after two years max. Do you think this fan base will forgive him? Even if this team makes the playoffs and lets say gets eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round the fan base will not forget what a opportunity it had to get a decent prospect! So bye bye Benning nice seeing yah, because you will not create a contender with subpar players and no real defensive talent in your prospect pool dream on Benning.

Nobody on these boards pisses me off as much as you.

Do you know what positive thinking, or not having a negative outlook is? Yeah totally Bennings fault he inherited arguably the worst years of drafting this franchise has ever seen.. (2006-2011)

21 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

if they don't trade him then lets hope Benning is ready to pack his bags up after two years max. Do you think this fan base will forgive him? Even if this team makes the playoffs and lets say gets eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round the fan base will not forget what a opportunity it had to get a decent prospect! So bye bye Benning nice seeing yah, because you will not create a contender with subpar players and no real defensive talent in your prospect pool dream on Benning.

You seem to be forgetting how good of a drafter Jim Benning really is. He will be able to find good solid prospects deeper in the first round. Also, did you say the Canucks fans wont forgive benning if we got to the second round in the playoffs?

does anyone have a theory on HOW Hammer has come back with such a vengeance? Maybe just some extra rest and rehab on other nagging stuff?

I didn't think he had slowed down as much as everyone else said, but since his return he's fast! He's a great hockey player again. I hope the other team's scouts are seeing what I'm seeing (and Benning still deals him)...with the market shaping up as it is, this could be a perfect storm brewing to get a really good return.

59 minutes ago, logic said:

Nobody on these boards pisses me off as much as you.

Do you know what positive thinking, or not having a negative outlook is? Yeah totally Bennings fault he inherited arguably the worst years of drafting this franchise has ever seen.. (2006-2011)

You weren't around in the late 90's before we landed the Sedins...

6 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

We can always sign an older vet as a stop gab in the UFA market, including Hamhuis himself.

So.......... get rid of something that we need and then, maybe, over pay for the same thing..................... If we find such a player again.Yeah, makes sense.

To me its quite simple:

1. Talk to Dan see what term and cap he is looking for, if it sounds good resign him.

2. If you don't plan on resigning him please don't use poor asset management again and move him for a good return to help the team out going forward.

Regardless of Edler being hurt for an undetermined time, we have Biega to slot in and Pedan can get the call up. 

8 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I'll be fine if JB doesn't trade Hamhuis.  First of all Hamhuis might not even want to be moved and it's his call in the end.  Second, Hamhuis is a BC boy who is the best ambassador to Canucks fans in the province and had done a great job promoting the Canucks and hockey, in general, in BC........sometimes loyalty matters.

6 hours ago, clam linguine said:

Hammer is playing some nice hockey since his return. Go Dan Go!..............ahem

I have been thinking the same thing.

I wonder if this is a reaction to maybe thinking his career had been ended. It's like he has come back revitalised. Whoever gets him they will be getting a guy who now looks to have hit his second wind.

11 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I have been thinking the same thing.

I wonder if this is a reaction to maybe thinking his career had been ended. It's like he has come back revitalised. Whoever gets him they will be getting a guy who now looks to have hit his second wind.

He was getting written off to a degree or past his prime talk was their. He had that injury last year, and this year prior to the jaw injury he just didnt look like the Hamhuis we are use too. Was kind of surprised to see his play like that because he had a good world cup for Canada.

I like Dan, I would have thought he would have been offered an extension by the team, but he just may not be in Bennings plan. Would be sad as he is BC boy, wants to stay and likely signs for less than market value. He is easily worth sbisa type money in my eyes. If he wants the same or a pay raise with long term I could see why Benning may be hesitant.

I remember Mitchell leaving after injuries and I dont think he was tendered an offer from us, he has gone on to play 5 more years and be a solid contributor to winning the cup and leading a young Florida team, hate to see Hammer go and do the same somewhere else.

4 minutes ago, Yotes said:

He was getting written off to a degree or past his prime talk was their. He had that injury last year, and this year prior to the jaw injury he just didnt look like the Hamhuis we are use too. Was kind of surprised to see his play like that because he had a good world cup for Canada.

I like Dan, I would have thought he would have been offered an extension by the team, but he just may not be in Bennings plan. Would be sad as he is BC boy, wants to stay and likely signs for less than market value. He is easily worth sbisa type money in my eyes. If he wants the same or a pay raise with long term I could see why Benning may be hesitant.

I remember Mitchell leaving after injuries and I dont think he was tendered an offer from us, he has gone on to play 5 more years and be a solid contributor to winning the cup and leading a young Florida team, hate to see Hammer go and do the same somewhere else.

I was thinking the same about Mitchell. This seems like a similar situation when we just let Mitchell walk right when we needed him the most.

9 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Trade and resign.

Bingo, pretty simple decision, only correct thing to do for the club. Really getting sick of hearing the Owners mantra is make the playoffs. What's the point only to get bounced in 5 games and lose out on a top 6 pick in this years draft. I guess the owners don't realize in order to win a cup we need high end talent and we have way better odds of landing that talent in the beginning of the draft, hence the Sedins(#2 and #3 overall). 

1 minute ago, captaincowbasher said:

Bingo, pretty simple decision, only correct thing to do for the club. Really getting sick of hearing the Owners mantra is make the playoffs. What's the point only to get bounced in 5 games and lose out on a top 6 pick in this years draft. I guess the owners don't realize in order to win a cup we need high end talent and we have way better odds of landing that talent in the beginning of the draft, hence the Sedins(#2 and #3 overall). 

Hey! if he is willing to do that then it is that simple. The problem is that there is a big "IF" in there somewhere.

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If we want to rebuilt our club to challenge for a cup the path is clear.

Trade UFA's at the deadline.

Resign a few critical UFA's in the off season to fill any holes as needed. 

SELL, SELL , SELL 

Oh I agree 100%.  There is one small catch though.  Our younger players are playing better than many of our older guys, and coming UFAs.  We trade Hamhuis and Vrbata, and replace them with Biega and McCann.  That's the plan.  I agree with it.  However, we could keep winning, or even win more, with the young guys.  If we are going to tank, we need to SIT BOHO.  He's playing too darned good!  :frantic:  

It should be a no brainer. This team is awful and needs to build for the future. The" we are just about in the playoffs" argument is ridiculous since when was just making the playoff the goal. That mentality is flat out stupid. The cup is the goal this club is barely out of last and has  no real chance of winning in the post season. 

Hamhuis has good value as a playoff rental trade him. 

All pending ufas should be moved off this club. 

this club isn't good enough so get a return for the assets instead of watching them walk for nothing. .....again. 

Poor ownership overrated gm( by van fans) priority to make the playoffs will only equal years of 9 place finishes just like it did in Calgary. But why learn for others mistakes. 

Archived