The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Once again, no shame Leafs tank

*Buzzsaw*

8 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

The same way drafting high endlessly has worked out for the Islanders, Avs, Oilers, Panthers and Coyotes.

Except other than oilers each of those teams is in a playoff race. You wouldnt endure a season like ours for a chance at a future tavares, mckinnon, hall, ekblad, etc

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like a TANK for Austin Matthews to me.  I'm shocked the league doesn't step in, and stop the Leafs from being so blatant about trading their best players for crappy guys.  

What rules does it break? Teams can tank if they want. This day in age you dont tank for top pick you tank for a top 5. Especially now that there is 3 lottery picks. Its 80 percent more likely toronto doesnt get first pick than they do.

Is it really a tank if your odds of drafting 1st overall are 1 in 5? 

I'm sorry just because Edmonton is lucky drafting 1st overall, outside of McDavid they really haven't had much in the way of impact players. Florida had a far better pick in Ekblad. Colorado had arguably a better pick in MacKinnon than most of Edmonton's forwards.

Maybe scouting is something teams need to focus on. I said it when Toronto gave up too much for Kessel that it would put them behind for years. But Burke had to make a big splash. They just now are cleaning up the mess. 

The irony of all this is incredible. Every time the Canucks lose, a bunch of you guys cry and tell us that the Canucks should tank. But when another team (that you personally dislike, for whatever reasons) actually does tank, you call them shameless and pathetic? Has it ever occurred to anyone that if we tank now, we might have to tank for several years before we reach playoff success again? Tanking is cancerous, and many teams have shown that it's hard to get out of that system.

This is why I'm so happy that our young guys are giving 110% every night, and saying NO to the tank mentality. We don't want that garbage thinking on our team and franchise, leave that to the Oilers and whoever else wants it. We might not make the playoff,s but it's not for a lack of trying, that's for sure.

6 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

The irony of all this is incredible. Every time the Canucks lose, a bunch of you guys cry and tell us that the Canucks should tank. But when another team (that you personally dislike, for whatever reasons) actually does tank, you call them shameless and pathetic? Has it ever occurred to anyone that if we tank now, we might have to tank for several years before we reach playoff success again? Tanking is cancerous, and many teams have shown that it's hard to get out of that system.

This is why I'm so happy that our young guys are giving 110% every night, and saying NO to the tank mentality. We don't want that garbage thinking on our team and franchise, leave that to the Oilers and whoever else wants it. We might not make the playoff,s but it's not for a lack of trying, that's for sure.

When tanking is done so it damages the credibility of the league (like the Leafs are clearly doing now, and the Sabre's did last season) the league should step in and do something.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When tanking is done so it damages the credibility of the league (like the Leafs are clearly doing now, and the Sabre's did last season) the league should step in and do something.  

Psst. Alf you know they didn't get McDavid right? Is Eichel worth having another losing season? Kane is ok. But if you haven't noticed Buffalo has a worse record than we do. Is tanking really the right blueprint? Here have a cat to snack on. 

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Psst. Alf you know they didn't get McDavid right? Is Eichel worth having another losing season? Kane is ok. But if you haven't noticed Buffalo has a worse record than we do. Is tanking really the right blueprint? Here have a cat to snack on. 

Yes, I need some cat and a nap.  :frantic:  Yes, catnap has a different meaning to me than most. :lol:

42 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is it really a tank if your odds of drafting 1st overall are 1 in 5? 

I'm sorry just because Edmonton is lucky drafting 1st overall, outside of McDavid they really haven't had much in the way of impact players. Florida had a far better pick in Ekblad. Colorado had arguably a better pick in MacKinnon than most of Edmonton's forwards.

Maybe scouting is something teams need to focus on. I said it when Toronto gave up too much for Kessel that it would put them behind for years. But Burke had to make a big splash. They just now are cleaning up the mess. 

A lot of people viewed the Kessel to Toronto trade a bad one because they ended up giving away two firsts turning into Seguin and Hamilton.. But honestly, at the time, it made sense for Toronto. Yes it sucked giving up two 1sts but at the time, there was nobody in Toronto who had superstar talent like Kessel and thats why Burke made the trade. Burke is a ballsy GM and now looking back, that trade definitely didn't turn out as well as he had hoped. But it made sense.

47 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

i'd say they're cleaning up a mess that goes way beyond bryan burke-- we're going back to when JFJ was running the show, and then they brought in cliff fletcher, which was a disaster. in those days guys like luke schenn and nazem kadri were doomed from the start. the leafs were never a tanking team, they were just perpetually bad because all the wrong people were running the show

the leafs right now, are going through that "process" of getting rid of that era, and they made the moves getting rid of schenn and kessel and now phaneuf, bringing in lamoriello and babcock, really surrounding that team with hockey people

Just now, Twilight Sparkle said:

i'd say they're cleaning up a mess that goes way beyond bryan burke-- we're going back to when JFJ was running the show, and then they brought in cliff fletcher, which was a disaster. in those days guys like luke schenn and nazem kadri were doomed from the start. the leafs were never a tanking team, they were just perpetually bad because all the wrong people were running the show

And they were drafting middle of the pack too often.  They never got bad enough to get the top picks, yet they kept missing the playoffs anyway.  

8 hours ago, ILL BILL NECRO said:

Do you just spew nonsense or do you even bother to see what he was trying to say? He means this year we are heading to be just outside of the playoffs THIS YEAR.............. 

We are 7th in Reverse Standings...... Are you kidding?

2 hours ago, Apple Juice said:
9 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

The same way drafting high endlessly has worked out for the Islanders, Avs, Oilers, Panthers and Coyotes.

Islanders and Panthers are becoming a better team because of their high draft picks. Look no further than Tavares, Strome, de Haan, Ekblad, Huberdeau, Barkov, and Gudbranson...

I've said this in a previous thread, but tanking takes a long time to be a viable strategy. Chicago traded Chelios in 1999 which was basically the beginning of their tank era and won a cup in 2010. 11 years. Oilers made a playoff run in 2006, tore it all down almost immediately after and now 10 years later their team is looking like it has a lot of valuable assets. They just need to find the right pieces defensively and make sure it all works within the cap. Not saying that they will ever necessarily win a cup, these things are never guaranteed but they will be a strong team soon, probably (lol). So far 10 years. Tanking takes a long time.

So I agree with Apple, the Islanders look to have a very nice team, will it ever win a cup, don't know. The Avs have a lot of talent, but admittedly they will probably never win with that core, Oilers look fine, Panthers look great. Coyotes future looks really good too. Domi, Duclair, and then they have Strome coming soon. Ekman-Larsson... there is a lot to be excited about there.

Don't be too quick to call tanking teams failures, it takes a couple years to purge your core before you consistently see high draft picks, then it takes time after getting a new core for them to mature and to put the rest of the team around them. Interesting thing I noticed though:

Edmonton '06 cup run, proceeded by 6th place in the draft in '07... Bad year signals the rebuild and then, 22 in the draft in '08, 10 in the draft '09, followed by all their top 5 picks of late. 

Canucks '14 had 6th place in the draft signaling a rebuild, followed by 23 last year, and now they will have a pick somewhere between 6-10 unless they win the lottery probably... Shockingly similar... I think that JB has and will continue to draft better in the later rounds though...

Now for flawed logic and Virtanen-bashing. Edmonton's 6th pick in '07?? Sam Gagner. Therefore Jake Virtanen will turn out as well as Sam Gagner. Edmonton's 22nd pick in '08 Jordan Eberle. Therefore Boeser will turn out as well as Eberle. You heard it here first :) 

13 minutes ago, Zetterbergs Beard said:

There is no way Babcock lets his team tank.

I think Babcock was very much aware that a Phaneuf trade was coming. He put his seal of approval on tanking the moment he signed with the team and said they would suck.

On 2/10/2016 at 0:51 AM, The Game said:

I really don't understand why you wouldn't do what's best for the team, there is not point in finishing just outside the playoffs, Canucks style. Better to load up for the future.

How is getting top picks year after year and not making the playoffs for over 10 years best for any team?

I suspect the Canucks may get there as well when the Sedins depart.  But who knows.  If we draft some legit NHL stars and they are put on a quick path, then the transition won't require TO's shameless tanking effort.  It's difficult, but it can be done.

If the Canucks start selling some future though to pick up inflated vets or bloated RFA contracts ala Kessel, then we know what's heading our way.

Archived