The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Talk) Oilers picking Tops ..AGAIN?

SilentSam

Im in disbelief to see that after approximately 5 years of top draft picks after dismal seasons,. The Oilers are in contention for the 1st overall draft pick in 2016.

Maybe its because they can not attract high profile vets to go there? 

What will stop this bleeding?

They need to trade Yakupov and Nuge for some defensive help.

I don't think they'll be bad for long. Draisaitl/McDavid is an AMAZING one-two punch, should be one of the better top-6s in the NHL in a couple years. If they can get proper defensemen for Nuge/Yak, then I think they'll be fine.

Just now, Senpai said:

should be one of the better top-6s in the NHL in a couple years.

Fans have been saying that for like 4 years.

It's not a lack of talent that's the problem. There's something fundamentally wrong with how the team was developed.

They're basically going to have to start fresh with McDavid, Hall, and their pick this year. Trade RNH, Yakupov, and Eberle while they're in their prime.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It's not a lack of talent that's the problem. There's something fundamentally wrong with how the team was developed.

They're basically going to have to start fresh with McDavid, Hall, and their pick this year. Trade RNH, Yakupov, and Eberle while they're in their prime.

Yeah, they have been, but McDavid is a talent that eclipses anything they've ever gotten in any of the the 1st overalls they've had.

I hate the Oilers, but McDavid is so good. It's absolutely reasonable to say this kid might be the next Crosby, and that makes a huge difference on a team. 

McDavid is better than any other 1st overall they've drafted and it's not even close. This is what generational players do, they change the face of a franchise just by being there. While Crosby had help from Malkin, look at what they did in Pittsburgh... Personally, I think McDavid is a generational talent, and he can change a team fundamentally just by being there.   

EDIT: Wording. I suck.

Just now, SilentSam said:

Heya ! Just saw that LoL. 

Meant no disrespect by starting another thread,. . Didnt see that one.

probably room for  2 threads on this outrageous topic anyway ;) 

No worries. We'll be needing more threads on this subject in the future, so you can start the same topic again next year, around this time of the year. :)

Alberta teams have a lot of emerging stars, that'll demand top dollar.

Oil as a commodity, is tanking like Edm's franchise.

You don't need to be an Economics Nobel-laureate. They'll probably get stuck in a perpetual-loop of dealing their expensive(near-UFA) assets for more future rainbow-Unicorn( any day now!) aspirations.

This would probably please the league too.

Are some Cdn franchises becoming a de facto farm, feeder-system?

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They cant attract vets,. And their system of treating  juvenile talent as juvenile talent will not create good vets... Who eventually they will lose quickly to free agency because theyve been playing the since they were 18 or 19 years old.

biggest Junior team playing in the NHL.

Which rebuilding team wouldn't want Oilers roster right now. They are absolutely loaded with top end young talent. 

Rebuilds take time guys. I've said it many time. FLD has had 4 top 3 picks in the same time as Oilers.

Look up how long Chicago took and you'll find it took them 10 years. 

Look up how long Pittsburgh took

Penguins had a 5th, 1st, 2nd, 1st , 2nd in 5 straight years. They got Malkin, Crosby and Staal in 3 straight years still took a few years after that to win the Cup.

Rebuilds take a long time. 

2 minutes ago, Senpai said:

Yeah, they have been, but McDavid is a talent that eclipses anything they've ever gotten in any of the the 1st overalls they've had.

I hate the Oilers, but McDavid is so good. It's absolutely reasonable to say this kid might be the next Crosby, and that makes a huge difference on a team. 

McDavid is better than any other 1st overall they've drafted and it's not even close. This is what generational players do, they change the face of a franchise just by being there. While Crosby had help from Malkin, look at what they did in Pittsburgh... Personally, I think McDavid is a generational talent, and he can change a team fundamentally just by being there.   

EDIT: Wording. I suck.

Pittsburgh also had a culture and vets to lead the way for the young guys. Crosby had guys like Lemieux, Recchi, and Leclair to lean on early.

Edmonton's leadership and culture basically sucks right now. It's gonna hurt McDavid's development in the long run if they don't do something about it IMO.

13 minutes ago, Senpai said:

They need to trade Yakupov and Nuge for some defensive help.

I don't think they'll be bad for long. Draisaitl/McDavid is an AMAZING one-two punch, should be one of the better top-6s in the NHL in a couple years. If they can get proper defensemen for Nuge/Yak, then I think they'll be fine.

If you think Draisatl McDavid is an amazing one-two, wait until you see the amazing trio of Draisatl Laine/Matthews McDavid 

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

They cant attract vets,. And their system of treating  juvenile talent as juvenile talent will not create good vets... Who eventually they will lose quickly to free agency because theyve been playing the since they were 18 or 19 years old.

biggest Junior team playing in the NHL.

That's basically my thought on it.

Good NHL players today had good NHL vets to lean on early in their careers. Not other 18-20 year olds.

This makes a huge difference in developing a team.

... The sad thing is that all this great talent is getting beat up and injuredseverely  every year because they are expected to play top minutes and play full bore at such a young age.

have to appreciatte our Farm SYSTEM .  Boys need to physically develop into men before playing against them full time.

id say the career expectancy of Eberle , Hall, Yakapov, and Mcdavid will be years less than what it should have been.

i beleive Simpsons career was shortened because of the situations he was put in as a young man. The physical abuse he took in the crease area was surmountable.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pittsburgh also had a culture and vets to lead the way for the young guys. Crosby had guys like Lemieux, Recchi, and Leclair to lean on early.

Edmonton's leadership and culture basically sucks right now. It's gonna hurt McDavid's development in the long run if they don't do something about it IMO.

PIT finished 2nd worst in the league in Crosby's 1st season and they drafted Stall with the pick.

They had 22 wins. One point out of last place in the league.

Oilers have 21 wins with 30 games left.

They had lengthy injuries to top 6 forwards and top 4 Dmen and still are pretty close to the Canucks who have a lot of leadership with Sedins and Sutter and Hamhuis etc.  

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

PIT finished 2nd worst in the league in Crosby's 1st season and they drafted Stall with the pick.

They had 22 wins 46 losses 14 OTL for 58 Points. One point out of last place in the league.

And they went to the finals two years later.

What point are you trying to make?

Archived