The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next 7 games are going to decide what to do for Benning, ugh!

desiboynux4lifee*******

I said it before and I will say it again, regardless of position in standings the management should stick to the plan, but its obivous they won't so here it is.

Leafs - should be easily winnable. 

Minnesota- Wild are struggling

Ducks- at home 

Calgary - on a back to back

Avlanche - at home

Ottawa - lol 

Sanjose

Here's the games (bold) management should watch with a close eye because the next month is were the real fun begins. Remember we can be in a playoff position come 29th but come April we can still be 10th because the competition level in March is much higher, you got the Blues, LA, Sharks 4x, Hawks,etc  

Benning is not in a tough spot, by now he should see what this team is capable of doing. So what do you guys think our record will be after  7 games? I already have gave my view many times, regardless of position stick  to the plan(sell ufas) because this month will not tell us anything about our team. 

9 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

I said it before and I will say it again, regardless of position in standings the management should stick to the plan, but its obivous they won't so here it is.

Ducks- at home 

Avlanche - at home

Ottawa - lol 

Sanjose

Here's the games (bold) management should watch with a close eye because the next month is were the real fun begins. Remember we can be in a playoff position come 29th but come April we can still be 10th because the competition level in March is much higher, you got the Blues, LA, Sharks 4x, Hawks,etc  

Benning is not in a tough spot, by now he should see what this team is capable of doing. So what do you guys think our record will be after  7 games? I already have gave my view many times, regardless of position stick  to the plan(sell ufas) because this month will not tell us anything about our team. 

Well, we have been playing better as of late. My thought process is this, Vrbata is almost a sure thing to be traded. Hamhuis, if he takes another hometown discount and signs for around 3-4 mil, then I would keep him. Then, try to sell Higgins, even if it means retaining salary, Prust, and weber for anything that we can. Playoffs are still a possibility, so we need to see the next few games. If we can go on a hot streak and win 5 out of our next 6, then I would go for the playoffs. If not, and the other teams don't falter, then sell who we can on expiring contracts for prospects. If no prospects can be acquired, then draft picks.

I can see the Canucks in a position come trade deadline where they are not buyers but not sellers either, then they will be stuck with the same tired old deadwood next year. Benning needs to S or get off the pot. He knows this team is not a contender and they have not much talent coming along. I feel a dejavue to the 1980's, where the Canucks were never bad enough to get that good franchise player but not good enough to be a real cup contender. 

My biggest fear with the trade deadline is that GMJB stands still and tries to make playoffs with the way things are, and then we just fall short. 

That being said, I think getting 8/14 points or so will probably keep GMJB from selling. 

2 minutes ago, CanuckianOne said:

My biggest fear with the trade deadline is that GMJB stands still and tries to make playoffs with the way things are, and then we just fall short. 

That being said, I think getting 8/14 points or so will probably keep GMJB from selling. 

my biggest fear is we keep Hamuis and end up missing the playoffs thanks to the Oilers or the flames. look at the schedule our last 4 games go at LA, Oilers 2wice and the Flames and you just know Oilers will try there best to play spoilers. Very risky, keeping hamuis and missing the playoffs. Also, next months teams are much tougher competition. 

15 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Ducks- at home 

Avlanche - at home

Ottawa - lol 

Sanjose

But Benning has NEVER actually stated that selling UFA's is the plan. That's just what everyone wants and what makes sense. I say regardless of outcome, Vrbata goes and Hamhuis stays. Unless Benning is totally against resigning Hamhuis, then he'll go. I don't think our record or playoff chances is going to have anything to do with it though. 

2 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

my biggest fear is we keep Hamuis and end up missing the playoffs thanks to the Oilers or the flames. look at the schedule our last 4 games go at LA, Oilers 2wice and the Flames and you just know Oilers will try there best to play spoilers. Very risky, keeping hamuis and missing the playoffs. Also, next months teams are much tougher competition. 

Keeping Hamhuis has ZERO risk.

People forget what value some players give to others just by playing and practising with them. Would Horvat and Baertshi have been as good as they currently are with someone other than Vrby on the RW? maybe, but he makes a lot of subtle plays that help get them in transition, and is a priority for Defenders to guard due to his known goal scoring ability. 

Hammer is similar, he is known for making good reads, and that rubs off on guys over time as well. Would Tanev be as good a Dman without Hammer being there for most of his years developing? 

Moving Vrby puts added pressure on Virtanen, and more defenders will lean towards Bo and Sven without him. 

Moving Hammer, puts a ton of pressure on Hutton to successfully be a top 4 Dman with Sbisa. Top 2 while Edler is out. 

That may not be best for their development, which in the long run is more important than acquiring assets who may never even suit up for the Canucks.

Just now, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

so we let him walk at free agency like Mathias did?

Ohlund situation =/= Hamhuis situation. We actually have the money to keep Hammer. Ohlund went to Tampa because there was no dough to keep him here. And what makes you think a guy that absolutely loves it here wants to walk? He'll sign a new contract if JB offers him one.

Just now, Green Building said:

Ohlund situation =/= Hamhuis situation. We actually have the money to keep Hammer. Ohlund went to Tampa because there was no dough to keep him here. And what makes you think a guy that absolutely loves it here wants to walk? He'll sign a new contract if JB offers him one.

you can't guarantee that dude lol what the heck. maybe he wants to win a cup ?

2 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

you can't guarantee that dude lol what the heck. maybe he wants to win a cup ?

I'm pretty sure Hammer has already said he wants to stay here. 

Vrbata has to go no matter what though IMO. 

37 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Ducks- at home 

Avlanche - at home

Ottawa - lol 

Sanjose

You say stick to the plan, trade UFAs.. When did Benning and Co say this was the plan?  They said they would evaluate closer to the deadline.. So they ARE sticking to the plan!

I still prefer to Trade Hamhuis regardless. We can always sign him back here in the off season like Vermette did with ARI. We are a rebuilding team we need to get picks and prospects in the door. Take a look at the CHI- ARI trade.

• Vermette Traded from Arizona Coyotes to Chicago Blackhawks for  Klas Dahlbeck and round 1 pick in the 2015 draft (Nick Merkley
IMO the fact that Dan would re-sign back in the off season makes me want to trade him that much more.
Trade him to Washington with a familiar coach, give him a shot at a cup ( like ARI did with Vermette ) acquire pieces that will benefit us in building a future core.

Hamhuis could get us from washington 
A) 1st round pick and a B level prospect 
B. Madison Bowey and a 3rd round pick (Maybe we add like a Greiner type player to make deal happen)
C.  two second round picks 

If I'm Jim Benning this is a no brainer. We pretty much know he will for sure sign back here in the offseason if we offer him a contract. 
So why not screw another team over take there nice prospects and picks? C'mon Jim don't let us down.

Archived