The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Red Wings In On Tyutin

theminister

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/02/11/report-detroit-interested-in-columbus-d-man-tyutin/

The Red Wings had much brass in the building on Tuesday to watch the Blue Jackets play the Islanders in Nationwide. 

GM Ken Holland was there, along with special assistant to the GM Kris Draper, and pro scout Kirk Maltby. 

It’s believed the Red Wings were taking a close look at Fedor Tyutin, who is likely to be dealt by the Feb. 29 trade deadline.

Tyutin, 32, has this and two more years remaining on a six-year, $27 million deal with a $4.5M average annual cap hit. One of the longest-tenured players in Columbus franchise history — he’s spent eight years with the Jackets, and played in both of the teams’ playoff appearances — Tyutin has fallen on hard times this year, and has been made a healthy scratch on a few occasions by head coach John Tortorella.

Unsurprisingly, Tyutin’s numbers are way down. He’s goalless with just two points through 43 games, and is averaging just 17:47 TOI per night — the lowest total of his career.

It’s not surprising Detroit’s kicking the tires on Tyutin. D-men Niklas Kronwall and Mike Green are both out of the lineup with knee and groin injuries and, last night versus Ottawa, Danny DeKeyser took a Dion Phaneuf shot to the knee.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Does every healthy scratch mean that guy is going to be traded?

Is that all you took from the OP?

Columbus is a bottomfeeder.

Tyutin doesn't appear to be endeared to the ballbuster.

Detroit is in a playoff race with a number of injuries on their blueline.

I might add - a fairly signature m.o. of the Redwings is adding veteran reclamation project D that they don't have to pay through the nose for.

Who knows - but there's enough to add up their to come up with speculation that Detroit is kicking CBJ tires.

Tyutin has perhaps the best underlying numbers on the CGJ blueline (aside from Jones, whose corsi on was determined for the most part in Nashvile).

Under 50% offensive zone starts

+7.1 relative corsi, +1.96 corsi on

top 4 quality of competition

0% shooting percentage.

No powerplay time.

The vast majority of his icetime spent with Dalton Prout - who is a  stay at home D, his strength is not his offensive upside. Aside from little offensive production...?

The Redwings aren't stupid.  I doubt any of that is lost on them. They know how to identify a bargain - a guy that is doghoused for who-knows-what reason and if you're looking for a steal, maybe something worth combing through.   Torts  scratched Johansen, scratched Hartnell - the fact he has scratched Tyutin.....well, how much people take from that is their own interpretation - I personally don't put enough stock in it to dis-consider the player.  On the other hand, there's the Stephen Weiss risk...:ph34r:

Tyutin could be an intelligent and probably asset-cheap option for them to pursue - and it's not difficult to imagine him regaining form after a get-out-of-jail card to Detroit.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Does every healthy scratch mean that guy is going to be traded?

No, but when the GM of another team shows up to watch a guy play, that tends to mean something.

If they're desperate and think they can make a run, I don't know if taking on two more years of Tyutin should be their first option. As oldnews points out, he's not useless at all without the puck, but he's not getting younger and his production has fallen off a cliff.

Maybe it's just the situation, but I think Tyutin is declining and even one more year instead of two at $4.5M would be easier to swallow if he doesn't pan out. He'd likely be a cheaper option to acquire in trade though considering.

On 2/12/2016 at 9:20 AM, Teemu Selänne said:

Tyutin has been a solid defensive defenseman under coaches' systems not named Tortorella.

I agree with @Yotes, there's gotta be some cap retention for this to work out, or a pick going back to DET. 

He was soild defencevly but he doesnt get points which is fine. But he isnt as good under Torts but not everyone is. Edler was way worse under Torts.

Archived