The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Pro Playoff Thread

Mathew Barzal

I've seen a lot of people arguing the morality and benefits of the playoffs on here, and decided I'd make this thread to allow those who support the playoffs to cheer it on. Hfboards has a very similar thread, and I think that it is fair for the playoff discussion to remain in here so people who actively support losing don't get offended when positive things are said about the team. 

In my opinion, winning, aka keeping old useless veterans and not trading them for picks to hopefully draft in a higher position (say top 5), is a very good method of building for the future...

Look at the Wild. They were one of the worse off teams, then acquired top tier talent in Pominville and Suter, and now look at where they are.... The Ducks are similar... acquired Kesler and then Bieksa, and have a great run to show for it. 

The fact is, you need good management in place to surround gritty veteran role models with other good players to be successful down the road, and the team that has failed at it has obviously been the Chicago Blackhawks... People use the Devils as an example of veterans not working, but New Jersey is just an outlier to a countless number of other examples where a solid veteran can turn around a team's fortunes and turn them into a dynasty, or at least get a cup or two down the road. Imagine where we'd be without Brandon Prust, for example...

Toiling away in mediocrity like the Flames of a few years ago, always picking in that "mid range" and settling for low end vets like Roy over Phil Kessel, or a lot of the other examples of our trading record..

The question is, would you rather toil away in mediocrity until the Sedins retire, and then likely have Horvat and some other guys step up and still remain in mediocrity, rarely making the playoffs and if we do likely going out early, or would you rather just blow it up and trade for Ladd and Phaneuf, sign elite talent like Phil Kessel, Stamkos, Weise etc can compliment (including a top d-man) that can take over from the Sedins and put us back into likely contender status? Acquiring vets, we can turn our rebuild from 8-10 years in length on the trajectory we're going now, to 3-5 years ideally until we become a contender again...

Again, this is the PRO PLAYOFF thread. This is for people who WANT to make the playoffs. Cheering for the team winning is OKAY here, if the mods can agree with that. If you don't want to see people cheering for our team to win, don't come here.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

Good luck trying to keep tankers out of any thread. They are a contagious plague. You know what else has an infectious sort of feel?

A winning environment.

Know what else has an infectious sort of feel?

Prolonged mediocrity.

So you're implying we trade our small pool of prospects for MORE vets? We already have a plethora of vets in Miller, Vrbata, Hamhuis, Burrows, Higgins, Henrik, Daniel, Edler, Dorsett, Hansen, etc. I don't know what games you are watching but half those guys ARE our problem. The young guys who are given an opportunity (Markstrom, Horvat, Baertschi, Vey, McCann) are what gives this team "swagger", yes I hate that term too but it works. The last thing we need are more vets taking up roster spots. Benning has been handcuffed with NMC/NTC's. Not making the playoffs was bound to happen with our roster getting older and older by the year. Give it time.

9 minutes ago, DanHamhoose said:

This feels like a troll thread

The sarcasm in the OP is pretty strong.

You don't sell the farm to make the playoffs.  You don't jettison everything of value for lottery tickets.  The best plan, as usual, is somewhere inbetween.

I'm all for tanking this season, but OP making this stupid thread is just dumb. We just lost to the Leafs Marlies, and considering his username, he's likely a bigger fan of flashy prospects than the Canucks. No need to rub salt in the wound, everyone knows we suck this year.

8 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Stanley Cup?

Well always...but realistically I just don't see that happening this season unless everyone in Vancouver sells their soul to Satan. I've had the 'pleasure' of being in downtown Vancouver both times we lost game 7....trust me in that there are very few things in life I want more. 

3 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Well always...but realistically I just don't see that happening this season unless everyone in Vancouver sells their soul to Satan. I've had the 'pleasure' of being in downtown Vancouver both times we lost game 7....trust me in that there are very few things in life I want more. 

I was on the island in 94, and at game 7 in 2011. I've never been anywhere so loud. My brain was vibrating in the upper levels. I don't see it happening either to be honest, but still want our boys to have the best chance to succeed every night. A stretch drive/playoff push can be a great way for young guys to learn all about why the way teams play during most of the regular season doesn't get it done when everything is on the line. 

The last 5+ games can make the season and require another level of play, the playoffs need another step up still. I'd love to be playing against seasoned vets in the playoffs as a 19-20 year old. What other way could I learn about what it takes to win? Play losing/tanking seasons for 8 years?

For me tanking is ridiculous. I have been very fortunate in my years as a Canucks fan that I have have had very few years of sucking to endure.   Any so called "fan" that wants to tank is a moron. Why would you want to turn on the tv and watch a team that was built with a sole purpose of losing. We are not TO nor are we Edmonton. You will not build a contending team by tanking. It will not happen.

Archived