The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Demand for Canucks tickets as low as it was in the 'Keenan years'

-Vintage Canuck-

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – It’s a tough time to be a Canucks fan (cue plaintive-sounding blues song) as the team continued its losing ways last night, dropping another game at home to the Minnesota Wild — one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

After also being whooped by the lowly Toronto Maple Leafs over the weekend, demand for seats is dropping even further and ticket prices have seemingly hit rock bottom.

“The last time I saw this was during the Mike Keenan years when he got rid of Trevor Linden and brought in Messier and said we are going to change this whole team around. He sure did. The team went into the tank,” says Kingsley Bailey, manager of Vancouver Ticket.

A quick online search ahead of last night’s loss could find you tickets as low as $34 and Bailey isn’t surprised.

“I’m glad that the ownership group has come up with a brand new thing called dynamic pricing. What it means is there’s no ceiling on what a ticket price is worth. But there’s no floor to how low a price can go either. I can see it going down even lower than $34,” he tells NEWS 1130.

With non-marquee games being played to a less-than-packed Rogers Arena, there will likely be some deals as the team trundles through the final stretch of the season.

“It’s all because of some boneheaded moves by management. They’ve made some bad decisions and they really have alienated the fans. Because of that, no one wants to go. No one,” says Bailey.

You’ve heard the expression about not being able to give away tickets?

“If you were a long-time customer of mine, you would have been getting calls from me, offering free tickets to the game. Really. I’ve been doing that for the last several games.”

The Vancouver Canucks have their work cut out for them to try to turn things around.

Their next game is Thursday at home against the red-hot Anaheim Ducks.

http://www.news1130.com/2016/02/16/canucks-tickets-demand-low/

Not surprised, in 2011 the prices were through the roof but the entertainment value was so high, you could argue it was justified. 

It's not fun to watch anymore. I try to get out to two games each year and more and more it's only to watch the Ovechkins and Crosbys of the world that I don't get to see often. 

It's not about the money, I'd pay high prices if I was entertained throughout. 

I still like going. Infact, I've been scooping up the $25 - $35 tickets like crazy this season and I still have a great time. Sometimes the games aren't good, sometimes they are but I go with a friend and always end up enjoying myself. Seems like a pretty low price to pay for that.

2 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

It's not about winning or "Nucks fans will only bandwagon a winning team" it's about hope.

The team is peddling hopelessness right now and it's not appealing. Have a number one defenseman and the next Bure and looses will stop mattering so much

It comes down to the product and entertainment.  Watching Edmonton lose badly for so many years, there was always entertainment in watching their offensive talents play.  They were bad defensively and in goal and made tons of mistakes leading to losses, but they were entertaining. They took risks, often unwisely, but they were fun to watch.

The Nucks have implemented their youth in a manner that seems to suppress their youthful exuberance with a heavy focus on conservative play and eliminating mistakes.  The result is guys who play boring hockey without the experience and effectiveness of veteran role players. They have won more than the Oilers but did anyone really find the actual games entertaining?

The offense on the Nucks looks slow, bland and conservative. 

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

It comes down to the product and entertainment.  Watching Edmonton lose badly for so many years, there was always entertainment in watching their offensive talents play.  They were bad defensively and in goal and made tons of mistakes leading to losses, but they were entertaining. They took risks, often unwisely, but they were fun to watch.

The Nucks have implemented their youth in a manner that seems to suppress their youthful exuberance with a heavy focus on conservative play and eliminating mistakes.  The result is guys who play boring hockey without the experience and effectiveness of veteran role players. They have won more than the Oilers but did anyone really find the actual games entertaining?

The offense on the Nucks looks slow, bland and conservative. 

Playing not to lose.

I'd be happy watching them lose of they looked like they gave a crap.  I'm sure they do give a crap, but there is a disconnect somewhere, and at the moment, the games I'm watching don't reflect what I'm looking for.  They could start by playing the top line on every offensive zone start.  This team needs to either work harder than their opponents, or lose in a exciting fashion.  If we trade Shink or Gaunce for an immediate help veteran I will be even less interested.  For reference, on average I go to 3 or 4 games a year, this year I have been to 1 and I have no plans to see any more unless the tone of the team changes.  I'm still very invested, I'll watch the games, but I'm not giving them my money unless they show me that money isn't the only thing they are interested in.

4 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

I still like going. Infact, I've been scooping up the $25 - $35 tickets like crazy this season and I still have a great time. Sometimes the games aren't good, sometimes they are but I go with a friend and always end up enjoying myself. Seems like a pretty low price to pay for that.

I wouldn't bother coming out from the valley even at that price. Total personal disconnect for me. Going to games, fighting for space on the skytrian or dealing with downtown traffic ain't somethin in guna do for what they are icing. It's patheticly boring hockey to me. 

Still, always been a fan so I'll watch the games here. Live games ? Not worth the effort for me 

This Kingsley Bailey is a professional scalper...ie. a parasite who earns his pay making you pay more than ticket cost. 

Why do we care what hurts his business? Why do we care what he thinks of the management moves? Why is it printed? His bias is clear. Shoddy, shoddy reporting. 

I'm sure he hasn't complained over the last ten years making the average fan unable to access a game. He complains now because he can't make as much off of you and me as he used to. That's all this is  

As a Season Ticket Holder I can agree that ticket demand is crazy low right now. I usually go to a game or 2 a month and sell the rest. But lately "the rest" have been very hard to sell and I'm losing a lot of money. Dynamic Pricing helps the fans that are buying individual tickets from the box office, but it sure isn't helping the Season Ticket Holders any. We pay the same amount at the beginning of the year either way.

I was in Edmonton this weekend and paid $700 for 6 tickets all in the lower half of the mid level.

The atmosphere was loud and the pace was really fast.  It was a low scoring 2-1 game but went to a shootout. OT was crazy.

Both teams are horrible this year but it's nice to be able to watch a lot of the young guns in Edmonton as well as Ehlers and Scheifele.

Archived