The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Demand for Canucks tickets as low as it was in the 'Keenan years'

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Are you saying only fans attending games are supporting the team?  

It plays a LARGE part. If nobody goes to games, the team moves. Not saying attendance is that low that they would move, but it is the biggest factor. In a home stadium when the fans chant for the other team it is pathetic.

If you are going out in Edmonton, is there anything but a hockey game or going to the mall?

Vancouver has multiple ski slopes with in an hour of travel, fresh and salt water fishing, hiking and mountain bike trails and on and on.

3 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It plays a LARGE part. If nobody goes to games, the team moves. Not saying attendance is that low that they would move, but it is the biggest factor. In a home stadium when the fans chant for the other team it is pathetic.

The market here just won't pay the dollars the owner wants for the seats.  It's as simple as that.  He needs to lower the prices to where people are willing to pay.  

6 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It plays a LARGE part. If nobody goes to games, the team moves. Not saying attendance is that low that they would move, but it is the biggest factor.

High Cost of Living

Climate that gives us many other options (year round golfing, boating, skiing etc...)

Boring team that has trouble scoring

Up until now, a lack of direction (Rebuild? Retool? Strive for the Playoffs?)

High Ticket Prices

Lower population base than the Major Cities (Toronto, NY, Chicago)

Ticket base that's mostly Corporate (highly fickle)

2 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Too bad that it's ticket prices because it's so unlikely they will ever drop.

Not likely to fall to Arizona or Florida levels and if they did, we'd be in real serious trouble.

Having a Ticket base that's mostly corporate can be troublesome.  A steep downturn in the economy will have a direct negative effect.  Also if the team does not do well or is boring to watch, the entertainment value is just not there.  These companies did not get to where they are by throwing away money.  The tickets are used to entertain clients, used for promotions, employee perks etc.. If they don't feel they are getting that value, then they will spend their money elsewhere.  I know of a very big beverage company (Think cola) that has had a luxury suite for many years.  They decided to share their box instead of buying a whole box.  

On 2/16/2016 at 0:09 PM, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

As a Season Ticket Holder I can agree that ticket demand is crazy low right now. I usually go to a game or 2 a month and sell the rest. But lately "the rest" have been very hard to sell and I'm losing a lot of money. Dynamic Pricing helps the fans that are buying individual tickets from the box office, but it sure isn't helping the Season Ticket Holders any. We pay the same amount at the beginning of the year either way.

Do you use Facebook at all? They have a group for selling tickets, which I recently used. At least you know fans are looking at it at least, so you never know, may help if you haven't used it.

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

If Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, etc. can sell tickets at a high price and still fill the stadium (over the past 5 years when they sucked), then there shouldn't be any reason for the Canucks to have to lower ticket prices to get people into the seats.

You realize that those teams actually had future star players playing during those times? It isn't until the last week or two that it's been worth watching a Canucks game.

4 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

People still asking a lot on CL for remaining games.   What are people getting upper bowl tix for the remaining 2 games?  $20-$25 per?  

I sold mine yesterday for $50 each, while some we're going for $60 each, and higher for games against LA and Edmonton.

Did see a season ticket holder who was selling tickets against Ana for $120 for the pair up until yesterday when he lowered it to $60 for the pair...

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I sold mine yesterday for $50 each, while some we're going for $60 each, and higher for games against LA and Edmonton.

Did see a season ticket holder who was selling tickets against Ana for $120 for the pair up until yesterday when he lowered it to $60 for the pair...

This. I remember buying upper bowl tix for the game against Columbus some time ago and Upper Bowl was $45 and up. 

Call me crazy but if ownership is looking to fill seats, they should start lowering prices to meet demand. This isn't 2011 anymore. 

5 minutes ago, guntrix said:

This. I remember buying upper bowl tix for the game against Columbus some time ago and Upper Bowl was $45 and up. 

Call me crazy but if ownership is looking to fill seats, they should start lowering prices to meet demand. This isn't 2011 anymore. 

I agree, the tickets are lower then they were in 2011, but still a team that's not playoff ready should see the bigger picture, and lower prices more to fill the seats.

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It's amazing that Edmonton, with a metropolitan population of 1.3M, can sell out a stadium that still sells it's tickets very high and for years was a bottom dwelling team. Vancouver, with a metropolitan population of 2.4M, has a stadium that looks half empty most nights and of the people there, many aren't even wearing Canucks colours. 

FYI, the Canucks average 3rd highest price tickets, the Oilers average 2nd, and the Leafs average 1st. Come ON people, support the team.

Yeah they had garbage teams but in Edmonton you had a reason to watch:

Taylor Hall

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Nail Yakupov

Leon Draisaitl

Connor McDavid

Every year they were adding exciting players and reasons to have hope. 

In Vancouver, we have a garbage team and were given Sutter and Gudbranson.  Boeser will be the first player taken in the 1st round to actually stick with the team.  You can't compare Canucks to the Oilers situation and ticket sales unless we get some 1st or 2nd overall picks for the next few years.

There are so many things to consider.

High ticket prices are so because they get away with it.  And the demand for tickets here coincides with it....although, that is dwindling from what I've witnessed.

People not able to sell their tickets are also supporting the problem by buying them in bulk with no intention of using them (all)...of course, many used to be able to offset their ticket prices BY selling them, but you can't rely on that.  Basically, the idea is to buy/use them, so anything other than that is a buyer beware/at owner's risk deal.  

Buying/selling/scalping/etc. creates a lot of issues, so I don't have too much sympathy for those buying in for that reason (so they get "free" or cheap tickets by selling most of them).  There are perks for STH and so that's your "bonus", not cheap tickets.  Although I do think people making that commitment definitely should NOT be paying more than the average Joe on the street who decides, on a whim, to take in a game.  You have to provide your loyal supporters with the best pricing possible, and that is something to keep in mind.

I have heard of people snagging tickets at the door for $15-$20...hardly seems fair to the STH next to him who's paid full price.  But perhaps it was another STH who sold theirs so low?

If we somehow could eliminate all the secondary buying/selling of tickets, this could be worked out. But that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

This fanbase is changing and corporate tickets are a pain in the butt.   Nothing is more frustrating than having the idiot texting and getting hammered beside you not give a damn about the game on the ice.  Got free tickets from the boss.  Worse yet, if they show up to cheer on the opponents.  Ugh.

The friends I have who are STH have them because they live and breathe this game...they actually give them away when they're not using them.  I know, because I was the lucky beneficiary of one last night.  So it's not that they're bought as an investment to profit from.  I have no sympathy for those who do have this in mind.

30 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Yeah they had garbage teams but in Edmonton you had a reason to watch:

Taylor Hall

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Nail Yakupov

Leon Draisaitl

Connor McDavid

Every year they were adding exciting players and reasons to have hope. 

In Vancouver, we have a garbage team and were given Sutter and Gudbranson.  Boeser will be the first player taken in the 1st round to actually stick with the team.  You can't compare Canucks to the Oilers situation and ticket sales unless we get some 1st or 2nd overall picks for the next few years.

53?

mccann and virtanen last year?

Archived