-Vintage Canuck-

43 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Yeah they had garbage teams but in Edmonton you had a reason to watch:

Taylor Hall

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Nail Yakupov

Leon Draisaitl

Connor McDavid

Every year they were adding exciting players and reasons to have hope. 

In Vancouver, we have a garbage team and were given Sutter and Gudbranson.  Boeser will be the first player taken in the 1st round to actually stick with the team.  You can't compare Canucks to the Oilers situation and ticket sales unless we get some 1st or 2nd overall picks for the next few years.

This exactly!  JB and ownership tried their retool philosophy, and it failed - miserably.  We are old, slow and at the bottom of the league.  If we had young guys to bring us hope, then more fans would go.  Right now there is not much to see in our top minute guys other than Bo, and Boeser.

39 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

There are so many things to consider.

High ticket prices are so because they get away with it.  And the demand for tickets here coincides with it....although, that is dwindling from what I've witnessed.

People not able to sell their tickets are also supporting the problem by buying them in bulk with no intention of using them (all)...of course, many used to be able to offset their ticket prices BY selling them, but you can't rely on that.  Basically, the idea is to buy/use them, so anything other than that is a buyer beware/at owner's risk deal.  

Buying/selling/scalping/etc. creates a lot of issues, so I don't have too much sympathy for those buying in for that reason (so they get "free" or cheap tickets by selling most of them).  There are perks for STH and so that's your "bonus", not cheap tickets.  Although I do think people making that commitment definitely should NOT be paying more than the average Joe on the street who decides, on a whim, to take in a game.  You have to provide your loyal supporters with the best pricing possible, and that is something to keep in mind.

I have heard of people snagging tickets at the door for $15-$20...hardly seems fair to the STH next to him who's paid full price.  But perhaps it was another STH who sold theirs so low?

If we somehow could eliminate all the secondary buying/selling of tickets, this could be worked out. But that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

This fanbase is changing and corporate tickets are a pain in the butt.   Nothing is more frustrating than having the idiot texting and getting hammered beside you not give a damn about the game on the ice.  Got free tickets from the boss.  Worse yet, if they show up to cheer on the opponents.  Ugh.

The friends I have who are STH have them because they live and breathe this game...they actually give them away when they're not using them.  I know, because I was the lucky beneficiary of one last night.  So it's not that they're bought as an investment to profit from.  I have no sympathy for those who do have this in mind.

I think the crowds will become a lot more lively and invested in the team and games. Combine this with a young emerging core, and Canucks home games will be a lot more exciting to be at.

Take that corporate weasels!

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

Taylor Hall

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Nail Yakupov

Leon Draisaitl

Connor McDavid

In Vancouver, we have a garbage team and were given Sutter and Gudbranson.  Boeser will be the first player taken in the 1st round to actually stick with the team.  You can't compare Canucks to the Oilers situation and ticket sales unless we get some 1st or 2nd overall picks for the next few years.

That's why those low-life Coilers fans waited at the concourse to boo, deride, and insult the players as they headed for the dressing room?

Well as a diehard Canucks fan from the beginning I am still waiting for a  1ST OVERALL PICK.

Yes, wouldn't that be nice, never mind going from 3rd  to 5th in the draft how about a bit of luck like Edmonton has had forever(4-1st overalls in 10 years) and they just this year made the playoffs.

It is like the already won the fricken cup or something the same as the leafs,to listen to that media you would swear they were ready to make the cup their own,never mind just squeaking into the Playoffs.

The Canuck fans deserve better and this year we might just be lucky,fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

Taylor Hall

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Nail Yakupov

Leon Draisaitl

Connor McDavid

the oilers may have had good players coming in the draft every year but they still managed to dwell in the cellar until this year ..  Thank god we weren't that inept  ..  

Vancouvers ticket problems arent all on the ice ..        The Oilers are simply lucky to exist in a city that has a lot less options for entertainment ..  

You just cant compare edmonton with vancouver for being livable ..  

Vancouverites have something called choices 

Just now, MikeyBoy44 said:

But did they stop showing up is the real question. 

Why show up if all you're going to do is deride the players, casting horrible insults at them?

Might as well go out on Whyte Ave in the middle of winter and yell at the sky.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why show up if all you're going to do is deride the players, casting horrible insults at them?

Might as well go out on Whyte Ave in the middle of winter and yell at the sky.

But that's comparable to people that don't vote then bitch about current government. You pay your dues so at least you cover your ass when you do intend to voice your opinion. I don't live in bc so canucks home games are not an option for me. But I buy the merch, watch the games etc, basically anything I can that can give me the tiniest bit of legitness when I decide to talk about my team. 

The Canuck fans deserve better and this year we might just be lucky,fingers crossed.

Just to remind everyone...

As of right now, we only have an 8.517% chance of drafting 1st overall in June.  1 in 12.

And, it gets even worse than this.  We've been one of the worst teams in the league for years now, and the best we got out of the deal was a single #5 (and, of course, we didn't take the only remaining top-5 talent that was available to us at that pick, uggh).  If we were to finish last overall next season AND last overall in 2018-19, it would still be more likely than not that we don't get any of those three upcoming #1 picks.

Heck, even if we do get those top draft-picks - we are still the team that chose Petr Nedved #2 overall (when he wasn't even ranked in the top-3 in a deep draft), Juolevi #5 (when he wasn't ranked in the top-5) and Virtanen #6 (when he had abysmal stats, wasn't ranked in the top-10, and has the skills of an ECHL'er).  Almost every year, we throw our best draft-picks right into the garbage.  Gaunce, Shinkaruk, McCann, etc...  Thank god Horvat and Boeser are going to turn out (but, of course, Horvat was gotten using New Jersey's draft pick, not our's).  Just imagine what we'd have to show for all those 1st round and lottery picks if it wasn't for those two! 

We need a lot more than luck to dig ourselves out of this horrendous mess that management has created.

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Just to remind everyone...

As of right now, we only have an 8.517% chance of drafting 1st overall in June.  1 in 12.

And, it gets even worse than this.  We've been one of the worst teams in the league for years now, and the best we got out of the deal was a single #5 (and, of course, we didn't take the only remaining top-5 talent that was available to us at that pick, uggh).  If we were to finish last overall next season AND last overall in 2018-19, it would still be more likely than not that we don't get any of those three upcoming #1 picks.

Heck, even if we do get those top draft-picks - we are still the team that chose Petr Nedved #2 overall (when he wasn't even ranked in the top-3 in a deep draft), Juolevi #5 (when he wasn't ranked in the top-5) and Virtanen #6 (when he had abysmal stats, wasn't ranked in the top-10, and has the skills of an ECHL'er).  Almost every year, we throw our best draft-picks right into the garbage.  Gaunce, Shinkaruk, McCann, etc...  Thank god Horvat and Boeser are going to turn out (but, of course, Horvat was gotten using New Jersey's draft pick, not our's).  Just imagine what we'd have to show for all those 1st round and lottery picks if it wasn't for those two! 

We need a lot more than luck to dig ourselves out of this horrendous mess that management has created.

We did ok drafting Linden and Bure though didn't we?  Same with Neely.  And the Sedins turned out pretty good didn't they.   Hate to break it to you but anyone not named Detroit over the last thirty years has had their fair share of dues and even Detroit didn't fair all that well when they drafted Dionne and then traded him...Or even Montreal picking Lafluer instead of Dionne who would easily be second in scoring overall if he didn't spend his career lamenting in LA and not the powerhouse Have of the seventies.   Hindsight is...Well hindsight every team has their Daigles and Stefan's to go along with their Neely's and Bret Hulls.

On 2016-02-24 at 11:57 PM, ktowncanuck00 said:

The Keenan years were bad. This isn't much better. This is slightly better. Slightly. 

things are WAYYYY better now.  The Keenan team was gutted of anything remotely entertaining, Bure was a superstar but he hated playing here at that time.  Who were the exciting young canucks to watch...?  Peter Zezel and Lee Goren...?  I'll take the current young core any day of the week

2 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

And, it gets even worse than this.  We've been one of the worst teams in the league for years now, and the best we got out of the deal was a single #5 (and, of course, we didn't take the only remaining top-5 talent that was available to us at that pick, uggh). 

ummm...weren't we in the playoffs exactly 2 years ago? 

Honestly, the product sucks. Why waste your money? If we were winning then I would consider it because the arena would be full but even then, the atmosphere is horrible compared to so many other markets. It's just not worth paying the outragious amount that tickets go for. Now Chicago on the other hand, cheaper tickets, insane atmosphere, entertaining team...now that's a good product. 

4 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

Well as a diehard Canucks fan from the beginning I am still waiting for a  1ST OVERALL PICK.

Yes, wouldn't that be nice, never mind going from 3rd  to 5th in the draft how about a bit of luck like Edmonton has had forever(4-1st overalls in 10 years) and they just this year made the playoffs.

It is like the already won the fricken cup or something the same as the leafs,to listen to that media you would swear they were ready to make the cup their own,never mind just squeaking into the Playoffs.

canucks had a chance last 2 season but decide to win some games near the end of the year to get the odds lower... :lol:

3 minutes ago, jovocop55 said:

canucks had a chance last 2 season but decide to win some games near the end of the year to get the odds lower... :lol:

odds is one thing, bad luck is another. Jets and cbj both somehow leap frogged canucks, but didn't tank as bad. 

it's a crap shoot.  oils got lucky, the draft lottery didn't change back then when they got all those first picks.

On 2/16/2016 at 11:45 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Keenan didn't bring in Messier. I think it was Pat Quinn, and then when Quinn was fired, Messier convinced acting management to bring in Keenan.

Not 100% sure on that, but I do know for sure that Messier was already here when Keenan arrived.

Archived