The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Demand for Canucks tickets as low as it was in the 'Keenan years'

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

There were definitely less fans in the Keenan period, despite seeing empty seats at a game back then it was really noticeable. 

I was in charge of our company's season tickets back then.  I had a hard time giving them away and ended up going to a lot of the games.  Some I just couldn't go to and the tickets were left unused.  Yes it was really bad.

44 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

For the remaining games against LA and Sharks I'm seeing for upper bowl anywhere from $40-70 for a single ticket, lots of pairs going from $100-$140. But for the Oilers game for upper bowl looks like the asking price is $100 for single, $200 for pair.

Oilers game is the last game of the year, its a saturday night, and McDavid.  Those are all draws for people.  The base price for that game for tickets is also higher as the Canucks priced it as premium game.

1 minute ago, mangosteens said:

Oilers game is the last game of the year, its a saturday night, and McDavid.  Those are all draws for people.  The base price for that game for tickets is also higher as the Canucks priced it as premium game.

Maybe the Oilers rest McDavid for that last game?

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It's far less to do with population, ticket prices and even the rosters,

If you are really interested in why EDM can still sell out over Vancouver just look at the demographics between the two cities. 

You do know the oilers have NOT sold out their new arena this year, don't you?

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

Oilers are at 98.4% sold per home game and the Canucks are at 97.8% sold.

Average attendance is Vancouver 18,496 to Edmonton 18,397.  If the Canucks had McDavid I can guarantee you they would be sold out.  What is the "great fans" of Edmonton's excuse?  new arena and the best player in the game, yet there are unsold tickets.

For the Oilers last game against LA - the one where they clinched a playoff spot, it still was not a sell out.  Attendance was 18,347. Capacity is 18,641.  about 300 unsold seats.

14 minutes ago, mangosteens said:

Average attendance is Vancouver 18,496 to Edmonton 18,397.  If the Canucks had McDavid I can guarantee you they would be sold out.  What is the "great fans" of Edmonton's excuse?  new arena and the best player in the game, yet there are unsold tickets.

For the Oilers last game against LA - the one where they clinched a playoff spot, it still was not a sell out.  Attendance was 18,347. Capacity is 18,641.  about 300 unsold seats.

Horrible recession in Alberta right know doesn't help at all.

Here comes that "for a quarter" speech.

People are starting to see the shine come off their nice new Linden management group and realize they have done nothing to appeal to fan interest. They draft poorly, sign older "name" vets to outrageously expensive contracts screwing up the cap, blame the Sedins for not doing anything, can't trade worth a crap and don't parrot the Kesler deal, that was done before Benning got here, likely he just had to polish it a bit, haven't got ONE young player that fans MIGHT get excited about, made the team much smaller up front albeit younger by trading away draft picks in good draft years for players not able to beat out players on a league bottom third team, the constantly parading out players that aren't impact NHL players as being "THE ONE'S" that are turning the franchise around.

They apparently have used up any good feelings around for Linden taking the reigns, they traded off the respect of the fans for two years of ineptitude and they totally misjudged fan IQ, aren't you tired of "he must be good because they said so" kind of BS? The top players on this team have nothing to do with this group so far, while other team's make deals/drafts that make a difference this market has to wait for years to see anything happen because they say so and they must so afraid of fan perception of making a mistake that they aren't willing to make daring, necessary moves.

IMO they have until draft day to get the attention of a lot of fans back to the Canucks and they won't do it by signing more AHL players, just merely declaring it, signing another old veteran to a massively huge and horrible contract or blaming and firing the coach.  

30 minutes ago, mangosteens said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Place

Rogers Place capacity is 18347, meaning they have sold out every game and ESPN is using the wrong number. 18347/18641=98.4%. Nice try.

I should probably clarify that my issue isn't with people who buy seasons tickets wanting to go, first and foremost (but, realistically, can't afford the whole deal themselves).  Most fall under that category.  My beef is more with the ones who really don't care either way, but "know" they can recoup their money by selling tickets for a profit.  And...scummy scalpers.

Saw a guy use Save On More points that were aimed at getting kids in the door (you had to be a "club" member which was for kids)....he was snapping up tickets by twos and was working the phone with another guy who was at a different location to cover the bases.  Comparing notes on which games they had/to get, etc.  

So to those people?  I love it when they can't get their money back ... no whining.  When you exploit the system do you really think it'll last forever or comes with a guarantee?

I do feel bad for STH who see tickets sold for less than what they purchased them for.  Doesn't seem right.

2 hours ago, Violator said:

Horrible recession in Alberta right know doesn't help at all.

No, no. As people both on this forum and across the country will tell you, the only reason ever for not selling out games is that the fanbase is terrible. There are no other factors.

Or does that only apply to us? I'm consistently forgetting which Kool Aid I'm supposed to drink on why this team has the worst fanbase in existence.

9 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It's far less to do with population, ticket prices and even the rosters,

If you are really interested in why EDM can still sell out over Vancouver just look at the demographics between the two cities. 

Are you saying there are too many Chinese people in Vancouver to sell out?  More than 50% of Toronto residents were born outside Canada so I'm not sure that theory holds up.

On 2/16/2016 at 11:48 AM, thejazz97 said:

The good thing is we got the Sedins out of the last tank. Here's hoping history repeats itself and we get Matthews or Laine :rolleyes:

I hope something good comes from this tank... nothing yet lol.

But I doubt you'll ever repeat the 1999 NHL draft... we landed the two greatest athletes of all time back to back. The only way we could top it is if we somehow managed to get the top 5 picks, get a time machine, and then get another machine that merges all sports into one... then draft Jordan, Woods, Pele, Manning (screw brady), Bo Jackson... 

Otherwise the sedins will never be trumped. Good thing the NHL hired guns like Keith, Methot, Doughty to head hunt them countless times throughout their careers so they don't each hit 5000 points and shatter Waynes records

:blink:

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

No, no. As people both on this forum and across the country will tell you, the only reason ever for not selling out games is that the fanbase is terrible. There are no other factors.

Or does that only apply to us? I'm consistently forgetting which Kool Aid I'm supposed to drink on why this team has the worst fanbase in existence.

if you're bitter, add some sugar to the koolaid:lol:

Archived