The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You need a top 5 pick to win a Cup!!

Provost

I am getting wickedly sick of hearing this from draftists/tanknation.

"Look at all the Cup winners... they all had top 5 lottery picks!  You can't win without those players"

"Look at Chicago!  Look at LA!  Look at Pittsburgh!"

.... blah blah blah.  Half the callers on the radio spew the same thing.

Here is a fact for you.  Virtually every team in the NHL has a top 5 pick on their roster.  Most of those teams don't win a Cup in any given year.

Currently as far as I can see, only four teams in the entire league DON'T have a top 5 pick on their roster Boston, Detroit, Anaheim, and Arizona (Actually 3, Arizona has Pronger and he doesn't count).

Three of those four teams are in the playoff picture... meaning all but ONE team who is currently out of the playoff picture has a top 5 pick playing for them.... many of those teams out of the playoff picture have SEVERAL top 5 picks.  Where is their magic Stanley Cup.

There is a saying "correlation not causation"

By using that "a team needs a lottery pick to win" mantra you are just spouting meaningless nonsense.  You might as well be saying you need a blonde player on your team to win... or all Stanley Cup winners have at least one player over 6 feet tall.

You can't point to the winning team and say "hey they have a lottery pick so that made them win"... without looking at the other 29 teams who lost and pointing out that pretty much all of them also have those picks.

I am not saying we shouldn't sell off assets when our season is done (like it is now)... but the suggestion that intentionally losing, or even accidentally losing and getting a top 5 pick is going to magically make us Stanley Cup contenders is ludicrous.

I'm glad I read before I was about to post, I wonder how many people won't :lol:

But ya drafting is only 1/3 the battle, you still need to develop them and surround the players with the proper supporting cast. 

Edmonton eventually will be good. If Detroit keeps getting the players they do, they'll always be better.

Even with a top 5 pick, I'm not confident this organization knows how to optimize them, along with their added pressure of being in this market. 

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

This is right up there with the question, "How are we going to get elite talent if we don't draft top 5?" 

There is far more elite talent that was not a top 5 pick in the league than was.

Also... Demko. What is he good for?

And.... if top 5 picks guarantee you the Cup.

We have had two of them since 1999... not just any two, but 2 of the top 6 point producers over the past decade.  Where is our Cup? 

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

And.... if top 5 picks guarantee you the Cup.

We have had two of them since 1999... not just any two, but 2 of the top 6 point producers over the past decade.  Where is our Cup? 

More like... Edmonton will be fine because they have Benoit Pouliot.

As have all 5 of his teams in the last 6 years.

Nothing guarantees you a Cup.

It's about increasing your chances of winning  a Cup and top end skill is mostly drafted at top of the draft.

Especially now with so much money spent on scouting and evaluating junior players it's becoming harder for players to slip thru. Still happens but less.

You need lots of top end players not just 1. Demen, forwards, Centres, a real good goalie. You need multiple stars.

I'll take a top 5 pick over a 14th pick any day, I don't think any sane individual would disagree. I'll take a top 5 pick over a 1st round whooping from the Flames any day as well. 

3 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Proof you are not reading people's posts.. This is covered in the OP

Proof you do not know how to read.  LOL    What was the last NHL team to win a cup without a top 5 player on their team that season....   ?

Soon the canucks will not have a top 5 pick on our team......

Archived