The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Hunter Shinkaruk to Flames for Markus Granlund

8 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Absolutely pulling for Virtanen but Tkachuk appears to already be what we hope Virtanen may become.  Time will tell but my point was how important these early first round picks can be at turning things around much quicker if they are good out of the gate.  

Not really the same type of players.  Tkachuk works the boards and behind the net, and is primarily a playmaker or netfront presence below the hash marks.  Jake relies on his speed and shot, going wide, making hits, and causing turnovers.

15 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not really the same type of players.  Tkachuk works the boards and behind the net, and is primarily a playmaker or netfront presence below the hash marks.  Jake relies on his speed and shot, going wide, making hits, and causing turnovers.

Yeah I recognize they don't play the same way.  I was hoping that Virtanen would be a net front presence, use his speed and size to work the boards and put the puck in the net while standing up for himself. Jake is fast and he hits people I will give you that.

Going wide with speed and shooting from poor angles reminds me of someone else who's name rhymes with Mason Raymond.  Honestly, I think Virtanen needs to use his size and skills to assert himself more, drive the net and not just  take shots from the perimeter.  Again, I know he is young and I am all for him succeeding.

33 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Absolutely pulling for Virtanen but Tkachuk appears to already be what we hope Virtanen may become.  Time will tell but my point was how important these early first round picks can be at turning things around much quicker if they are good out of the gate.  

Not at all the same kind of player, but I see no reason why Jake won't have as much of an impact, in his own way, as Tkachuk.

1 hour ago, Borvat said:

Would have liked to see them on the same line with Bo at Centre.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Yes, i really under-estimated Granny's season.  Guy had a great year.

He reminds me of Hansen.  Can play up and down the lineup.

On a good team, Granny is probably a decent 3rd liner... 

On a weak team like Vancouver , Granny can probably slot in some time on the second line. 

True, Granny had a fantastic year this year, which i did not predict.   I knew he had some skill but wow he progressed quick this year...

Most improved player on the Canucks this year do you think ?

14 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, i really under-estimated Granny's season.  Guy had a great year.

He reminds me of Hansen.  Can play up and down the lineup.

On a good team, Granny is probably a decent 3rd liner... 

On a weak team like Vancouver , Granny can probably slot in some time on the second line. 

True, Granny had a fantastic year this year, which i did not predict.   I knew he had some skill but wow he progressed quick this year...

Most improved player on the Canucks this year do you think ?

I'd say the most exciting player. This was his first full season in the NHL and certainly has me convinced that the trade was worth it.

I would agree with the most improved label, if he can consistently touch on 20 goals which based on his play makes me think his ceiling is higher, then we have a keeper.

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I'd say the most exciting player. This was his first full season in the NHL and certainly has me convinced that the trade was worth it.

I would agree with the most improved label, if he can consistently touch on 20 goals which based on his play makes me think his ceiling is higher, then we have a keeper.

Both Granny and Baer answered a lot of questions about their games this season. If Baer and Granny had not lost as many games (14?) to injury as they did they might have pushed 50 points each. If I had to choose it would be Granlund. He made his line mates better whether the Twins or Sutter. My gut tells me that Baer benefits from Horvat more than vice versa. Not a negative as Baer evolved his game to a higher physical level.  

19 hours ago, Borvat said:

Getting out of the gate fast is great and all but crossing the finish line first is more important. 

That said, there's no guarantee Jake does that but I do believe he's turned a corner and if he can continue on that path eventually become a solid middle 6 player with speed, tenacity, compete and a good shot.

Ideally he'll be a nice complimentary player to more offensively talented line mates using his speed/size to create space for their line and banging in pucks with his shot.

19 hours ago, Borvat said:

Matt and Jake are very different players.  Matt is chippy and is at his best close to the net.  Jake is at his best using his speed on the left wing and causing havoc.  Both are physical, but I think that's more of Jakes game if he is to be successful.  

Ideally, you need a combination of wingers that give you what they do, along with a good play maker.  Honestly I think Boeser and Tkachuk have more similar games, both find open areas for good scoring chances, neither that fast, but their IQ makes the game come to them more.  One is Captain America, the other is an asshole and a Flame.  

22 hours ago, Borvat said:

Tkachuk was/is a very good fit for Calgary.

Precisely what they needed - a top 6 LW prospect that they could slot straight into their lineup.

And to be real - they have the idea circusmstances for him - to play with a pair of outstanding two way veterans like Backlund and Frolik.

Not really that unlike the situation Hodgson stepped into with Higgins and Hansen - a pair of 40 pt third liners that were the perfect complement.

Virtanen - not quite anything like that kind of table set for him.  Not an excuse - not even a problem really - just the reality that both his development and the team's are a work in progress.  Not really ready to play with guys like the Sedins - who need a more developed two way veteran winger imo.  Not really ideal to pair him with other young forwards also emerging - ie Horvat and Baertschi - it was just too soon for that.  Not really ideal to pair him with your matchup/shutdown center on Sutter's line either - at least not at the teenager point of his development.  Which leaves the question whether you want him in a fourth line role, or perhaps moving up and down the lineup - or do you want him playing more stable, consistent minutes in the AHL?  I'm not sure it was that difficult a decision in terms of fit - particularly if they were looking to wait until he has more 'teachable' development preparing him for the NHL game.

I don't think there is any point second-guessing the decision to fore-go his final year of junior - that was a complicated situation where he's in the hands of another organization - and in the end, perhaps there was some good to moving him in to have a taste of the reality of the NHL - and to be a part of his peer group emerging.

But overall, I just don't think there was a similar table set for Virtanen to that which Tkachuk has enjoyed.  How much better Tkachuk will become is debatable - we'll see - but as far as Virtanen is concerned, there's no great harm imo in the way things have unfolded - and there is plenty of time for him to find the right footing at the next level.  He certainly has the tools necessary, and some signs of a better than perceived level of hockey intelligence.

On 2/23/2016 at 9:26 AM, canuckpuckluck15 said:

It doesn't matter how much you polish this , it's still a colossal TURD

turd.jpg

Twelve months later and don't I feel like an ass? Happy to admit I was way off base.

Although now I am ecstatic that I was completely wrong with my initial response. 

Was admittedly not happy about this trade.  I never felt too negatively about Granlund, I just had high expectations of Shink.

Fortunately so far those high expectations I had have not been realized.

I have a feeling Shink will be traded once again in the next few months in order to get Calgary some more 3rd line grit after they lose one of their current guys to Vegas.

6 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

I have a feeling Shink will be traded once again in the next few months in order to get Calgary some more 3rd line grit after they lose one of their current guys to Vegas.

They will have to add big to get a 3rd line player for him. He is waiver eligible next season and isn't likely to make the team. 30 other NHL GM's know this.

On 20/12/2016 at 11:20 AM, coryberg said:

He has had 11 points in his last 11 games. Safe to say we will be protecting baer.

I'm hoping we can trade Hansen, burrows and Miller at the deadline as well as a Dman (tanev,Edler or sbisa) at some point before the draft.

On 07/01/2017 at 11:14 AM, NEON.KNEE said:

LOL...this will never happen

NEVER! 

• 5 months later...

If anyone wants a good lesson in patience, have a read of the first few pages of this thread and people are losing their minds thinking Benning got fleeced.   Hunter may still get a NHL shot but it is far less likely than prior to him being waived and meanwhile Granlund is coming off a breakout NHL season.

Archived