The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Hunter Shinkaruk to Flames for Markus Granlund

On 2/22/2016 at 11:06 PM, Shaft said:

Please someone explain this trade. There are some knowledgeable people here who can see the good side of this trade. Explain it please!

Simple ... Granlund has turned out to be better than Shinkaruk in the NHL. Granlund already almost has 20 goals a few seasons ago. 

• 2 months later...
On 22/02/2016 at 3:31 PM, oldnews said:

All the crying - about Shinkaruk having more upside, etc.

Shink has scored 70 pts in 119 AHL games.

Granlund 72 in 85 games.

They're virtually the same size.

Granlund produced 46 pts in 52 games as a 20 yr old....

Pretty much a hockey trade.

thanks for bumping this for me.......it's always fin to look back at the hysteria........misguided hysteria!

Granlund

25% offensive zone starts (2nd lowest to Beagle).

48.8% corsi (5th among forwards).

Outstanding 'underlying/possession' numbers.

9 pts - 8 at even strength....+2 in strict shutdown/matchup minutes.

7 takeaways, a mere 2 giveaways (+5)

One of the team's top penalty killers this year.

5th among forwards in ice-time/game.

Having a great season - leaned on heavily by Green and a huge part of the team's ability to sustain without players like Sutter and Beagle in the lineup.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Granlund

25% offensive zone starts (2nd lowest to Beagle).

48.8% corsi (5th among forwards).

Outstanding 'underlying/possession' numbers.

9 pts - 8 at even strength....+2 in strict shutdown/matchup minutes.

7 takeaways, a mere 2 giveaways (+5)

One of the team's top penalty killers this year.

5th among forwards in ice-time/game.

Having a great season - leaned on heavily by Green and a huge part of the team's ability to sustain without players like Sutter and Beagle in the lineup.

but.......do we need him?

To me, he's a core guy

You win with players like Granny, to use a well worn phrase... But it's true - he might not pan out to be a top 6 player but imagine a 4th line with Roussel, Beagle and Granny. That's what a cup winning 4th line might look like.

16 hours ago, J-P said:

You win with players like Granny, to use a well worn phrase... But it's true - he might not pan out to be a top 6 player but imagine a 4th line with Roussel, Beagle and Granny. That's what a cup winning 4th line might look like.

I like it. I like it a lot! 

On 11/13/2018 at 2:28 PM, J-P said:

I think they have a 'bottom 6' that is contender-quality.

Lots of ways to form lineups with this group, but from an 'opening night' kind of perspective

Granny Sutter Virtanen

Schaller/Roussel Beagle Motte

that's a kickass group - particularly when you can also recall guys like Gaudette, Gaunce, Archibald (or insert the 13th F - Leipsic into that group).  Remarkable to be able to remove both Sutter and Beagle from that group and still have a respectable pair of matchup lines....

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think they have a 'bottom 6' that is contender-quality.

Lots of ways to form lineups with this group, but from an 'opening night' kind of perspective

Granny Sutter Virtanen

Schaller/Roussel Beagle Motte

that's a kickass group - particularly when you can also recall guys like Gaudette, Gaunce, Archibald (or insert the 13th F - Leipsic into that group).  Remarkable to be able to remove both Sutter and Beagle from that group and still have a respectable pair of matchup lines....

I noticed the Jets use Wheeler and Scheifele on their PK.  That’s got to hurt their team in the long haul.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I noticed the Jets use Wheeler and Scheifele on their PK.  That’s got to hurt their team in the long haul.

I'm not sure.

They have some very good 'bottom 6' forwards - Lowry, Copp, Tanev.

And then they have a group of very good skilled young forwards - Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, Vesalainen.

In between they use a few of their better two way 'vets' - Wheeler, Little and Scheifele (although only 25)....to help kill penalties.

But it's an interesting question - would it be worth it for that team to give up one of those skilled forwards in order to add a high end shutdown forward?

A lot of people tend to look at a Sutter, or Granlund, or Beagle as relatively 'disposable' by virture of being seen as a fundamentally 'bottom six' / shutdown forward - but I think with the evolution of the game, the volume of skilled, fast forwards - maybe the really 'foundational' defensive forwards should not be as devalued as they tend to be.  I personally love Benning's take - which is to view these types of players as foundational as opposed to simply 'chasing a corsi team'.

Archived