The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's Reputation Tied To Shinkaruk

TheGuardian_

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I dont. I said using hindsight that is what this team should have done. 

Which is why it's completely useless. Nobody has that crystal ball. You're in for a lot of useless complaining and bitter disappointment.

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And after you make a gamble do you get up and walk away from the table or do you want to see what the flip is. Without the flip you don't know if you win or lose. The dealer doesn't give two $h!ts about you're thought process. 

We saw the flip. Afterwards there were better options with acquiring Granlund and having Gaunce sitting in the wings waiting for his chance. 

You won't change my mind on this one. It was a good gamble. It didn't pay off. I won't cry about it or make up what ifs. That's life.

4 hours ago, coryberg said:

An ECHL player who mike gillis signed?

Makes about as much sense as the OP. It doesn't matter if Shink makes a career in Calgary or not in terms of Benning. Shink's in another system, another coach, another set of hurdles he wouldn't have had here. 

Granlund wasn't a bum in Calgary, just in a wrong place, wrong time for him. 

9 hours ago, apollo said:

I generally respect his opinions and his valuation of talent. His only problem is sometimes he gets too emotional since he's likely Bennings cousin. 

I'd be OK with @oldnews as GM under 1 circumstance. He lets me handle the gaolies! Just imagine how screwed we'd be if we had Cory and his %.910 instead of Luongos %.920 or Millers %.917 

Miller The Leader > 7uongo > Marky > Cory 

Knowing him he wouldn't let you coach goalies without being able to spell the word :P

11 hours ago, Baggins said:

Which is why it's completely useless. Nobody has that crystal ball. You're in for a lot of useless complaining and bitter disappointment.

We saw the flip. Afterwards there were better options with acquiring Granlund and having Gaunce sitting in the wings waiting for his chance. 

You won't change my mind on this one. It was a good gamble. It didn't pay off. I won't cry about it or make up what ifs. That's life.

People forget how much their bias affected their views on Vey.

Vey played a LOT of good games for Vancouver. His work rate was exceptional and he was able to play anywhere. To realise then that he had all the domestic horrors playing out in his background makes these facts even more remarkable.

He is outperforming Shink in Stockton and given the blind devotion to Shink on here when compared to Vey just confirms what many think of the screwed up way many on CDC asses our assets.

A 2nd rounder was dealt for a player who didn't turn out. With exception to JB's drafting, how many second round picks have worked out for the Canucks. I can only recall one, Raymond. 

Sure Vey didn't pan out, but we will survive.  Swing and a miss, so what. 

Now can we all agree this mole hill, is in fact a mole hill, not a mountain and let go.  

EW

5 hours ago, Mattrek said:

Knowing him he wouldn't let you coach goalies without being able to spell the word :P

I don't correct people's spelling (or grammar) but I would have to correct his gaolie concepts.

Luongo isn't a Canuck.

Schneider's name is now Bo Horvat and he's not a gaolie.

He'd need to let go of all that and focus on our actual tandem - ie reality - if he wanted the job.

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

A 2nd rounder was dealt for a player who didn't turn out. With exception to JB's drafting, how many second round picks have worked out for the Canucks. I can only recall one, Raymond. 

Sure Vey didn't pan out, but we will survive.  Swing and a miss, so what. 

Now can we all agree this mole hill, is in fact a mole hill, not a mountain and let go.  

EW

In fairness in the last 14 years we’ve only picked 6 times in the 2nd round.

2014 Demko

2012 Mallet (Pedan)

2009 Rodin

2008 Sauve

2007 Ellington (Pahlsson)

2005 Raymond

7 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

In fairness in the last 14 years we’ve only picked 6 times in the 2nd round.

2014 Demko

2012 Mallet (Pedan)

2009 Rodin

2008 Sauve

2007 Ellington (Pahlsson)

2005 Raymond

Take Demko out and that is a pretty $&!# list. 

Thats is my point. Vey is really only a slightly lesser player than Raymond, in terms of Canucks drafting, he would be third on the list behind Demko and Raymond. From the past Canucks drafting record in the second round, Vey would be a success story. 

18 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Take Demko out and that is a pretty $&!# list. 

Thats is my point. Vey is really only a slightly lesser player than Raymond, in terms of Canucks drafting, he would be third on the list behind Demko and Raymond. From the past Canucks drafting record in the second round, Vey would be a success story. 

When demko becomes a superstar we will be extremely greatful we kept that pick. and Lack of picks wasn't the only reason that list is bad. That's due to poor drafting.

Kings between 2007-2010 picked up Clifford, toffoli, voynov, simmonds

between 2003-2006 the bruins picked up krejci, Bergeron, lucic

between 2002-2004 hawks picked up Keith, bolland, bickell, Crawford. 

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

When demko becomes a superstar we will be extremely greatful we kept that pick. and Lack of picks wasn't the only reason that list is bad. That's due to poor drafting.

Not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that in the context of the Canucks draft record involving 2nd rounders, Vey is third best use of a 2nd round pick in almost 15 years. 

People need to stop complaining about it, JB got Trymakin in the 3rd in the same draft. How many fan bases are going to look back on that pick and wish their club had not passed on the big Russian. 

7 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that in the context of the Canucks draft record involving 2nd rounders, Vey is third best use of a 2nd round pick in almost 15 years. 

People need to stop complaining about it, JB got Trymakin in the 3rd in the same draft. How many fan bases are going to look back on that pick and wish their club had not passed on the big Russian. 

29 :lol:

14 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

There are lots of D teams are going to regret not drafting, Parayko 3rd round in 2012, Pesce 3rd round in 2013, Try in 2014, Carlo 2nd round in 2015.  Just have to be good/lucky at drafting.

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There are lots of D teams are going to regret not drafting, Parayko 3rd round in 2012, Pesce 3rd round in 2013, Try in 2014, Carlo 2nd round in 2015.  Just have to be good/lucky at drafting.

I love the saying that 'you have to be good to be lucky.'  When it comes to sport, nothing could be truer. Including drafting.

***Unless you are the Oilers, Leafs or Penguins.*** Tanking on purpose to get the 1st OA pick is a joke and IMO loses respect from true fans. 

As good as the Pens are and have been, I can never like them. I respect the managers and scouts that can do well outside of the 1st round.  As long as they make a decent first round pick.

Anahiem, LA even Boston were smartly built clubs.  Detroit is the ultimate example. Those are the teams to learn from, from the GM to the skate sharpener, they do things on another level. 

It is too bad that Florida has scrapped that, they were poised to do the same. Columbus is moving that way and hopefully we do to. The compete level we are starting to see from Bo. Stecher and Trymakin are fantastic. Signs that others are starting to catch on is also great. 

Thats what Gillis was supposed to bring us, so close to a cup, but what horrible drafting.  Gillis was good, but not lucky.  Either that he used it all up with the Erhoff trade.  

EW. 

1 minute ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I love the saying that 'you have to be good to be lucky.'  When it comes to sport, nothing could be truer. Including drafting.

***Unless you are the Oilers, Leafs or Penguins.*** Tanking on purpose to get the 1st OA pick is a joke and IMO loses respect from true fans. 

As good as the Pens are and have been, I can never like them. I respect the managers and scouts that can do well outside of the 1st round.  As long as they make a decent first round pick.

Anahiem, LA even Boston were smartly built clubs.  Detroit is the ultimate example. Those are the teams to learn from, from the GM to the skate sharpener, they do things on another level. 

It is too bad that Florida has scrapped that, they were poised to do the same. Columbus is moving that way and hopefully we do to. The compete level we are starting to see from Bo. Stecher and Trymakin are fantastic. Signs that others are starting to catch on is also great. 

Thats what Gillis was supposed to bring us, so close to a cup, but what horrible drafting.  Gillis was good, but not lucky.  Either that he used it all up with the Erhoff trade.  

EW. 

Until 2013 that is. 

20 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Until 2013 that is. 

Nah, JB got lucky, he has a center to build around.  He can draft a lot of pieces in the higher rounds that may be riskier than going for the best center. He traded the next best center prospect since Hodgson to address another need.  Horvat made that possible. 

Gillis was good enough to get within one game of the stanely cup, but not lucky enough to win. 

On 1/19/2017 at 6:14 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And in 2010 in the 2nd round Chicago drafted:

35th  Ludvig Rensfeldt  0 NHL games

54th  Justin Holl  0 NHL games

58th  Kent Simpson  1 NHL game

60th  Stephen Johns 47 NHL games

There are no guarantees. Trading for a prospect is no different than drafting a prospect. Either can be a boon or a bust.

10 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

EW. 

I'm not saying Detroit is a bad example, they did hit gems like Datsyuk and Zetteberg.. but ultimate example?  First of all, they were built when there was no salary cap and half the NHL was non-competitive due to low budgets before the season even started.  Then they draft the best defenseman of all time and ride him for 20 years, so they're only the ultimate example if Juolevi is the next Lidstrom. 

On 1/19/2017 at 5:14 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I love this game!

2004 - the Kings draft Simmonds with the last pick of the 2nd round at 61. They also drafted Oscar Moller in the 2nd round, at 52 and they traded the 33rd pick overall (to Vancouver). It's nice to know that they felt comfortable enough in Simmonds' ability (or the lack of other scouts to recognize it) that they could wait to take him with their third 2nd round pick (including the pick traded to the Canucks). So, a one in three chance of success?

Interesting that the Kings picked just prior to the Bruins in 2003 and missed on Bergeron, opting instead for Pushkaryov.

In 2004 the Bruins got Krejci at 63 and followed up with Karsums at 64 (who?). In 2005 they picked up Kalus with the 39th pick, In 2006 they got Lucic, but not before getting Alexandrov at 37th. If anyone is interested, the Bruins picked up Cross (35) in 2007, Sauve (47) in 2008, Knight (32) in 2010, and Khokhlchev (40) in 2011. Bound to hit again, eventually (assuming you want to include this kid who is putting up good AHL numbers but can't seem to crack the NHL squad).

The Hawks got Keith (54) in 2002. Big win there considering they picked Babchuk in the first round. Crawford (52) in 2003 was another success followed by Barinka (59). Good thing Crawford was a hit. Bolland (32) and Bickell (41) were acquired in the 2004 draft. Once again, the Hawks had good fortune here as their 1st was used on Barker (3). The Hawks also acquired Garlock (45) and Sindel (54) in 2004. 

I've always liked the Nashville draft of 2003. They got Suter in the 1st round, and Shea Weber in the 2nd round (49th). Sounds great, doesn't it? They also picked Glazachev (35) and Klein (37) in between. So is this a case of Nashville having good scouting to recognize Weber's future stardom or is it merely lucky that he was still there twelve picks after they picked up Klein?

regards,  G.

Archived