The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's Reputation Tied To Shinkaruk

TheGuardian_

43 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

Hmmm, Baertschi's turning out well... I'm withholding judgement until Granlund steps in.  He's NHL ready, has offensive instincts and has developed a solid defensive game, gonna wait to see how it plays out.  

But Andersson is turning out better ;)...but hey, the Canucks have a greater need for a 40-50 pt, one dimensional winger than a skilled, RHD, who was close to playing this year

20 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Grandlund bigger.......by one inch in height but weighs 9 lbs less.

Etem has potential, a four year pro has potential? Why hasn't he shown any yet? My grandson has potential, if can stay on the team for 10 years.

Baertschi, 20 decent games and he is the saviour again? I admit he is looking pretty decent BUT what happens when that line starts getting attention, oops, that line is -67, fun to watch but not so decent after all.

Remember people, HOW MANY DRAFT picks have been used to get the team where it is? Add a 1rst in Hunter.

All those draft picks have equalled 18 goals over two years? How good is Forsling? Shinkaruck was a first round pick, surely the team could have got a 2nd round pick or some combination of picks or maybe a ten game trial on the big club.

He relied on a non scout to do this trade, he didn't look for himself. Super scout? Maybe he should just do that.

Poor Linden. What a way to end up looking like a goof in another year.

But hey, all you fans, the team is going for the playoffs every year and in the words of Benning "when we get competitive again". What does that tell you

I cannot make a statement on Granlund because I haven't seen him play...Etem was traded for Nick Jensen (who was doing nothing but regressing in the Canuck organization)...Baertschi was traded for a late 2nd (How many late 2nd round picks become saviours?)

You're basically just choosing to look at the whole situation from a 'glass half empty' point of view...Your choice..

4 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

But Andersson is turning out better ;)...but hey, the Canucks have a greater need for a 40-50 pt, one dimensional winger than a skilled, RHD, who was close to playing this year

Tell me more about this Andersson player you speak of

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I understand you must be really upset or something, but that wall of text you posted was complete garbage.  

Thank you for sharing your insane stream of consciousness on the subject matter, but in no way does this trade hurt the Depth of the Canucks.

The Canucks were overloaded on the left side and instead of letting a solid prospect rot in the minors, the smart GM we have traded the asset while the value was high... Possibly the highest it will ever be.

I believe that Jim Benning is a smart man, and this is why I believe he will trade other assests that we have that are at their all time high.

If this trade made you uncomfortable, I bet you will be in rough shape the day after Trade Deadline Day.

14 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

I really would be prudent with these charts.

Have a look at Weber (Shea) vs Ryan Ellis.  Both play for Nashville and if you believe these charts than the whole hockey world is betting on the wrong horse.  Shea Weber is not even a replacement level D on the defensive side.

6 minutes ago, NEON.KNEE said:

I understand you must be really upset or something, but that wall of text you posted was complete garbage.  

Thank you for sharing your insane stream of consciousness on the subject matter, but in no way does this trade hurt the Depth of the Canucks.

The Canucks were overloaded on the left side and instead of letting a solid prospect rot in the minors, the smart GM we have traded the asset while the value was high... Possibly the highest it will ever be.

I believe that Jim Benning is a smart man, and this is why I believe he will trade other assests that we have that are at their all time high.

If this trade made you uncomfortable, I bet you will be in rough shape the day after Trade Deadline Day.

Then I would imagine Baerstchi is on the block, his value can't be higher than in the last 4 years.

Overloaded on the left side? Why didn't he play mostly on the right side in Utica? His goals seem to show him there and on both sides.  What an odd comment, most winger play both sides in todays NHL

How is this for the next stunner, Guance traded to Dallas for Matt Mangene, Benning says afterwards, "I relied on Willie because he knew this player and he hasn't had a chance to play in the NHL yet, he is what we need, a good 3rd line grinder"

On one hand, JB has the power to put this team in a good position in the next two years; but on the other hand, JB has the power to put this team back 10 years...just like Harry Neale did.

This should scare the Canucks

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

GREAT GREAT TRADE....Sick of listening to team 1040 about this bad trade....Sorry look at there stats in pro????

Grandlund AHL stats GP 21---pts 17 following season

AHL Stats GP52-- pts 47.....Come on this guy is much bigger and can play in the NHL and is only one year

older then Shinkaruk.. We have 6 better player under 24 in system better right now then Shinkaruck..

Horvak, McCann, Bartechi, Etam, Last years 1st rounder 20goals in 25 GP in NCAA league are all bigger and ahead of Shinkaruck.

I like Grandlund he is only 22 and has had a better minor league stats then Shinkaruck5'9, 178 lbs and Grandlund 6'0 195 lbs can play center or wing...

Great Great trade we already have enough soft forwards, we need grit and Grandlund has grit and enough skill...

He is playing for Calgary Flames big club?? Shinkaruk will not make Canucks so right there is enough..

Great trade Benning..Awesome keep trades coming.......Sick of listening to these un educated fans??? who care if Shinkaruck has 21 goals...Go luck at Grandlunds stats in minors better then Shinkaruk..

Wow.  Just make up your own "facts".  Hunter Shinkaruk is 5'-11" and 180lbs.  Granlund is 6'-0" and 178lbs according to the hockey dB site.

He also can't play wing.  At the C position on this team we have Henrik, Horvat, Sutter, McCaan, Cracknell and Vey.  Who's job does he take?  

You saying great trade leads me to believe you are very easy to confuse..

Just now, PLOGUE said:

Wow.  Just make up your own "facts".  Hunter Shinkaruk is 5'-11" and 180lbs.  Granlund is 6'-0" and 178lbs according to the hockey dB site.

He also can't play wing.  At the C position on this team we have Henrik, Horvat, Sutter, McCaan, Cracknell and Vey.  Who's job does he take?  

Look who's back.

It's the Cody is better than Kesler guy.

Tell us everything you know about Granlund!

He can't play wing! 

What else you got?

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

They are "all knowing", they are infallible and they get fired all the time for being wrong.

GM's, just who do they work for? The team? The league? The owner's? Themselves? Do they owe "anything" to the fans?

Owing the fans, to me the GM and president enter into a verbal contract, it is a matter of honor clouded with a variety of issues, secrets and eventually it comes down to disrespect.

There is the stated reason for moving Shinkaruk, a 1rst round pick, a potential top six goal scorer and with only one game played in the NHL, Benning pulls a deal that reduces the depth on the team for an older player that moves between the AHL and NHL without really leaving a mark in either league.

Reasons given are Shinkaruk is too small at 5'11" and 180 lbs, Grandlund is 6' 178 lbs, Shinkaruk is more an offensive player and Grandlund is a 200' player.

What I see here is the lowering of the common denominator making a less skilled player look better than he might be. I'm sure Etem and Vey look better now.

Maybe they do work for themselves, they make sure that they have employment for 5+ years by tearing down the team without actually getting the possibility of improving.

Here is another thought, maybe this trade makes Calgary good enough to pass the Nucks in the standings and help get a better draft pick.

Maybe they are thinking of having a Finnish player here to play with a Finnish draft pick.

So whatever the mindset the team has right now, they are setting this city up for 6+ years of struggle before they are even close to being competitive.

How good Benning is will be reflected by this trade, if HS goes on to be a 30 goal scorer then Benning isn't the GM we were all told he was, unfortunately it will be too late then, the damage will be done.

Vey, Etem, Forsling, Clendening, Gralund, Shinkaruk, all deals with maybe one exception, ONE, haven't made any kind of impact.

i think you are probably under 18 years old

5 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

I apologize, I responded poorly.

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

GREAT GREAT TRADE....Sick of listening to team 1040 about this bad trade....Sorry look at there stats in pro????

Grandlund AHL stats GP 21---pts 17 following season

AHL Stats GP52-- pts 47.....Come on this guy is much bigger and can play in the NHL and is only one year

older then Shinkaruk.. We have 6 better player under 24 in system better right now then Shinkaruck..

Horvak, McCann, Bartechi, Etam, Last years 1st rounder 20goals in 25 GP in NCAA league are all bigger and ahead of Shinkaruck.

I like Grandlund he is only 22 and has had a better minor league stats then Shinkaruck5'9, 178 lbs and Grandlund 6'0 195 lbs can play center or wing...

Great Great trade we already have enough soft forwards, we need grit and Grandlund has grit and enough skill...

He is playing for Calgary Flames big club?? Shinkaruk will not make Canucks so right there is enough..

Great trade Benning..Awesome keep trades coming.......Sick of listening to these un educated fans??? who care if Shinkaruck has 21 goals...Go luck at Grandlunds stats in minors better then Shinkaruk..

I love this post, not so much for the actual content, but on a very bleak day as this you have managed to put a smile on my face. Brilliant work in totally butchering every single players name in your post. Loved it.

sorry my bad you did manage to spare McCann.

Archived