The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Friday meeting with Jim B...

19naslund19

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Our GM is an idiot.  First he trades Shinkaruk for garbage, then he lets both Hamhuis and Vrbata walk.  The guy's almost as bad as Gillis.

Verdict is still out on Shink/Granlund deal.

As for Hammer. Well, unless they look at extending him now, then that's a huge loss.

As for Vrbata. Well, I wouldn't want him if I were a contender. If they were offered a 7th and retain salary, then they should have taken it.

But playoffs here we come!

16 minutes ago, Kuma said:

Can't wait to hear what Benning has to say.

Fair enough if Hamhuis did not want to waive, but not a single deal to get Vrbata or any of the old guys out.  Give me a break

Guess they don't want to get any more draft picks in return.   Business 101, try to get something that you will loose for nothing.  Guess the brain trust of this organization have not figure it that out yet.

Wait maybe management still thinks we can make the playoffs and be a cup contender this year lol.

Benning might be the best scout in the world, but definitely have no idea how to run the team.   Lets continue to stay in the middle of the pack(not sucking and not good enough).

Great Day to be a Canucks Fan

Go Canucks Go!

What do you realistically think you could get for Vrbata? Mind you he has a 5 M cap hit, so it's really steep for a team to take that for just a pick; most teams don't have that cap space. I'm thinking that there was some talk for Vrbata, but the trades all included trading Vrbata for a bad contract and a pick. At the very least Vrbata is off the pay roll this off season and I definitely wouldn't want to be on the hook for a contract like Bickell for an extended period of time.

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Verdict is still out on Shink/Granlund deal.

As for Hammer. Well, unless they look at extending him now, then that's a huge loss.

As for Vrbata. Well, I wouldn't want him if I were a contender. If they were offered a 7th and retain salary, then they should have taken it.

But playoffs here we come!

Hammer has just said on the team 1040 that he would love to extend.

I was going to write something about how I believe the portion of this fan base, who are so outraged by the non-events of today are nothing more than a bunch of crybabies, but then I figured it wouldn't do any good, so I won't.

regards,  G.

8 minutes ago, Kraken70 said:

So far, I've been a supporter of JB but I must admit, he's got me scratching my head a bit. 

I hope he can offer logical explanations for his lack of activity today and not lame attempts to evade questions. Virtually every panel on every channel are trying to figure out why Benning held back on Hammer and Vrbata, especially, after admitting he doesn't expect to make the playoffs this year.

I agree with you on this one Kraken. I'm don't propose to know what has happened on the phones But the inactivity has me perplexed. I just hope Benning has some logical explanations for what did or didn't happen today.

if he says there was no trading partners then I put that on him. Benning may be a very good scouting GM, but that should be the role of the head scout, the GM also needs to be able to evaluate players and make trades. Benning is starting to struggle to find decent trading partners, and before anyone says you need to two parties to make a trade, how did the leafs find trading partners for the Clarckson, Kessel and Phaneuf trades????

Benning had at least 9 players available to make a trade with and got none moved, and this was after him stating he liked the players available in this years draft. You would think he would have moved heaven and earth to get more picks, especially on players that will walk at the end of the season.

Im looking forward to the press meeting to understand how everything has unfolded.

7 minutes ago, Tomato Pajamas said:

What do you realistically think you could get for Vrbata? Mind you he has a 5 M cap hit, so it's really steep for a team to take that for just a pick; most teams don't have that cap space. I'm thinking that there was some talk for Vrbata, but the trades all included trading Vrbata for a bad contract and a pick. At the very least Vrbata is off the pay roll this off season and I definitely wouldn't want to be on the hook for a contract like Bickell for an extended period of time.

Any kind of pick, 3rd rounder would have been better then nothing. Money will still come off the board and end up with a extra pick. 

7 minutes ago, Tomato Pajamas said:

Hammer has just said on the team 1040 that he would love to extend.

Then there's silver lining to it. He won't cost a lot to extend, probably in the $3.5M region. He's a great veteran to have in the room, who will help the younger guys coming in adjust. At the end of the day, you still have to try. And having solid defense, something the Canucks need badly, is incredibly important when you are rebuilding. Just ask the Oilers.

Before people start screaming for Bennings head, they need to understand a couple things:

Vrbata:  A deal clearly required Benning to eat part of Vrbata's salary... other team's were not prepared to deal based on his full salary... and Vancouver ownership wasn't ready to do that, especially since the deal probably didn't involve picks.

Hamhuis:  Dan Hamhuis negotiated a deal which paid him less than market value but gave him a no-trade clause.  Dan didn't have to waive that clause at all... but he agreed to go to two teams... Chicago and Dallas.  Chicago wanted Hamhuis, but because of their CAP space had to offload Bickell and his deadweight contract on Vancouver... who wants that?  Dallas we don't know for sure, in fact, there was a lot of speculation there was no concrete offer at all.  In any case, it wasn't likely a case of a straight across trade of Hamhuis for a pick, it involved something else... and that wasn't acceptable.  Then Dallas came back at the end with a lowball.  Now people can say, "...better something than nothing."... but what if Hamhuis doesn't come back to Vancouver?  We do need defensemen desperately... it is foolish to jeapordize the relationship and the guarantee of re-signing Hamhuis for a cr*p pick.

9 minutes ago, Monty said:

Then there's silver lining to it. He won't cost a lot to extend, probably in the $3.5M region. He's a great veteran to have in the room, who will help the younger guys coming in adjust. At the end of the day, you still have to try. And having solid defense, something the Canucks need badly, is incredibly important when you are rebuilding. Just ask the Oilers.

^^^^^^^^^

This in spades... I expect an extension to be signed.

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

Before people start screaming for Bennings head, they need to understand a couple things:

Vrbata:  A deal clearly required Benning to eat part of Vrbata's salary... other team's were not prepared to deal based on his full salary... and Vancouver ownership wasn't ready to do that, especially since the deal probably didn't involve picks.

Hamhuis:  Dan Hamhuis negotiated a deal which paid him less than market value but gave him a no-trade clause.  Dan didn't have to waive that clause at all... but he agreed to go to two teams... Chicago and Dallas.  Chicago wanted Hamhuis, but because of their CAP space had to offload Bickell and his deadweight contract on Vancouver... who wants that?  Dallas we don't know for sure, in fact, there was a lot of speculation there was no concrete offer at all.  In any case, it wasn't likely a case of a straight across trade of Hamhuis for a pick, it involved something else... and that wasn't acceptable.  Then Dallas came back at the end with a lowball.  Now people can say, "...better something than nothing."... but what if Hamhuis doesn't come back to Vancouver?  We do need defensemen desperately... it is foolish to jeapordize the relationship and the guarantee of re-signing Hamhuis for a cr*p pick.

why do you think ownership will not eat salary when they are willing to pay Higgins and Prust down in the AHL. You do know that they are still going to pay for his salary now that he remains on the team right>?

2 minutes ago, Kuma said:

why do you think ownership will not eat salary when they are willing to pay Higgins and Prust down in the AHL. You do know that they are still going to pay for his salary now that he remains on the team right>?

And who says there was EVER an offer for Vrbata>>>>  What team would want him?

6 minutes ago, Kuma said:

and stempniak got a 2nd rounder and 4th rounder. Good luck with that

41 points for Stempniak and 24 for Vrbata. So, yeah, you're right, that's a fair comparison and that gives us an idea on the right price tag for Vrbata. Spot on, bud.

18 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

I was going to write something about how I believe the portion of this fan base, who are so outraged by the non-events of today are nothing more than a bunch of crybabies, but then I figured it wouldn't do any good, so I won't.

regards,  G.

were a bunch of cry babies because our hockey team weve been watching for 20+ years is sucking worse then the dump i took this morning as a whole. I think Im allowed to cry about how this team has evolved since 94 when I got truly into hockey as a 12 year old. How exciting it was , to then have the logo changed to a stupid whale and watch our superstar team dismantled and destroyed by incompetant people who could be replace by any real fan. GARBAGE

38 minutes ago, Kuma said:

Can't wait to hear what Benning has to say.

Fair enough if Hamhuis did not want to waive, but not a single deal to get Vrbata or any of the old guys out.  Give me a break

Guess they don't want to get any more draft picks in return.   Business 101, try to get something that you will loose for nothing.  Guess the brain trust of this organization have not figure it that out yet.

Wait maybe management still thinks we can make the playoffs and be a cup contender this year lol.

Benning might be the best scout in the world, but definitely have no idea how to run the team.   Lets continue to stay in the middle of the pack(not sucking and not good enough).

Great Day to be a Canucks Fan

Go Canucks Go!

Pretty much captures my thoughts.

Hammer has stated he was willing to go to Dallas or Chicago. I wonder if he would have gone elsewhere if Benning had agreed to re-sign him in the summer.

Benning will have a story but there is no way to package this as anything other than a failure. Benning is a good scout but when its comes to the other aspects of being a GM he is learning on the job and making a lot of mistakes.

Looking at it another way, 8 of the Canuck roster players at various times in the season (the Garage sale 7 plus Vrbata) generated no interest at the deadline. And the Hammer situation also come to nothing. That means that the team Benning assembled for this year (and yes, I know that some of those guys were originally signed by Gillis) was not well constructed. And the guys not on the list include players who are being overpaid for what they contribute -- Sbisa, Dorsett, and Miller.

Asset management is also an issue. The Canucks burned off ELC years for McCann and Virtanen this year AND reduced the time to when they become UFAs. So you get a year when McCann and Virtanen are marginal contributors to the team and you lose an RFA year when they are in their prime. And then there is unnecessarily losing Corrado to waivers.

Being a GM is hard and everyone who gets there has some skills. But it looks very much as though Benning is one of the weaker GMs in the league. Maybe his ability to assess young talent will offset his weaknesses. I hope so.

19 minutes ago, Monty said:

I certainly hope the Canucks re-sign him, but I don't trust Benning on this.

17 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Your far more accurate I suspect than most on here.

Archived