The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning TSN 1040 (March 9)

Gstank29

Are you excited for Trymakin  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Via Elvis  

-Benning on Chychrun, has a NHL body, skates like the wind, makes good plays in all zones

-Believes that the top 3 have a chance to be world class players

-Drop off after the top 3

-Benning on College UFAs; looking at college UFAs has had a couple of conversations, has a list of players they like. Brendan Tanev is on there list, good skater, good PKer, see him as a good 4th line PKer

-Thinks that having some openings helps a teams chances. Agents look at a teams depth charts, think that will help when they try to sign a Defensemen

-Stan has meet with Trymakin at the Spengler Cup, English has gotten better, will look for a translator someone in town later

-Wants to get him into some games, going to monitor the games. Thinks that he might play some games in the AHL

-Edler has a broken leg, thinks he is going to be out for the year

-Says you need a dominatent defenseman to compete

-Granlund is going to finish the season with Vancouver

-Virtanen and McCann CAN'T play in the AHL, need to be sent back to junior before a certain date and play in their teams playoffs

-3-4 players they want to see before the end of the season Gaunce, Grenier, Zalewski (has a concussion), and Pedan, wants Pedan to play

-Thinks Boeser will play another year at UND, thinks Demko will turn pro

Quotes from the TSN1040 tweets:

Town Hall: Any time you can sit around and talk hockey with your fans, it's a good time.

When you have young players and your veterans get hurt, it pushes young players higher up in the lineup

Our injuries have played a big part as to where we're at. If we had Brandon Sutter, we'd have been in that mix for a wild-card spot

We haven't drafted a dman in 10years in the 1st round. All things being equal, if there's a dman we like, we'll lean that direction

We have a list of (college) players in the order we like them. So as they turn pro, we'll be in the mix

Brandon Tanev: He's on our list. One of our scouts says the only goals he scores are big goals.

Brandon Tanev: He's a real good skater, a good penalty killer. We see him developing into a 4th-line, 2-way penalty killer

Tryamkin: We didn't know if we could get him right now. With where we're at in the standings, it made sense

Tryamkin: His english has gotten better. We'll have a translator with him, at first through his agency

Tryamkin: We'd like to get him into some games, and see where he's at. That will help him with his decision-making process

Tryamkin: We'll monitor when he plays the games where he's at and see if he needs time in the minors.

Edler: Well, he has a broken leg. I would think he's probably out for the year.

There's 3, 4 players we'd like to get up and get a look at. Gaunce is one. Alex Grenier. Mike Zalewski. And Andrey Pedan

Pedan: We don't want to bring him up to sit around. So if we know he'll get a chance to play, we'll bring him up

Brock Boeser has had "a hell of a year for his first year". My gut tells me he'll play another year at North Dakota

Demko: We hope he turns pro, we get him signed, and we get him started on his course of development

I'll post the link to the audio when it comes up as well.

19 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

I'll post a link later

-Benning on Chychrun, has a NHL body, skates like the wind, makes good plays in all zones

-Benning on College UFAs; looking at college UFAs has had a couple of conversations, has a list of players they like. Brendan Tanev is on there list, good skater, good PKer, see him as a good 4th line PKer

-Thinks that having some openings helps a teams chances. Agents look at a teams depth charts, think that will help when they try to sign a Defensemen

-Stan has meet with Trymakin at the Spengler Cup, English has gotten better, will look for a translator someone in town later

-Wants to get him into some games, going to monitor the games. Thinks that he might play some games in the AHL

-Virtanen and McCann CAN'T play in the AHL, need to be sent back to junior before a certain date and play in their teams playoffs

-3-4 players they want to see before the end of the season Gaunce, Grenier, Zalewski (has a concussion), and Pedan, wants Pedan to play

Based on Benning's ability to scout and draft, based on the bolded comments I'm praying the Canucks get a top 3 pick.

Just now, fanofvan said:

Based on Benning's ability to scout and draft, based on the bolded comments I'm praying the Canucks get a top 3 pick.

Sounds like Chychrun might be what he would take at 4th or later if available as well.  I'm hoping for Mathews or Laine

1 minute ago, CeeBee51 said:

Sounds like Chychrun might be what he would take at 4th or later if available as well.  I'm hoping for Mathews or Laine

Watching highlights of Laine has me drooling....purely on play style (READ NOT A SKILL COMPARISON), he reminds me of Lemieux in that he uses his size effectively, protects the puck, and has no problem going to the dirty areas to get the job done.

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

2014 Draft - Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin....enough said.

Yeah seriously... I'm not getting what people are doing. Complaining for the sake of complaining.

Or as we say on CDC:

Haters will hate.

30 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

All good things. I wonder if Benning thinks Edler is a dominant defenseman. If not, will Benning make a move to acquire a dominant defenseman this summer?

31 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

All good things. I wonder if Benning thinks Edler is a dominant defenseman. If not, will Benning make a move to acquire a dominant defenseman this summer?

He is hoping to acquire through the draft. Senseless otherwise as the team is not a contender.

4 minutes ago, groovy said:

He is hoping to acquire through the draft. Senseless otherwise as the team is not a contender.

4 minutes ago, groovy said:

Okay.

53 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Via Elvis  

The one thing I do remember quite clearly was how adamant Benning was that this year's draft was deeper than last year's.  It makes me wonder about his comment on how the talents drops off after the top 3.  Not hating, just puzzled by this.

Some of the most encouraging things I've heard from Benning.

> NEED dominant defenseman

> Still considering sending some of our rookies for junior play off run / ensure best development experience.

> Chychrun

> See point one?

Benning prior to this point has been far to nondescript regarding our D. Nice to hear the wheel may finally be grinding...

Archived