The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Collegiate Free Agency

Just looking at the numbers barring no extension for Prust, Vrbata, Bartowski, and Weber it would appear 9.817 mil is coming off the cap right away. In reading about collegiate free agents available I was wondering how deep we delve into this to attempt to build out of the NCAA. It would appear we have money coming up and there are a few interesting prospects out there.

The first one which we may have an in already is LW Brandon Tanev of Providence College. Already having his brother under contract is always a good thing when attempting to entertain this idea. He is a senior 6'0, 181lbs with 15 goals, 26 points and +20 this year in 34 games. He may only top out at 2nd line winger but depending on term and cost would definitely be a nice option.

Definitely one to chase in my opinion is D Casey Nelson of Minnesota State. 6'2 183lbs right handed shot with 4 goals, 20 points, +15, with 37 blocked shots in 35 games. He is a Junior and could choose to return for his senior year but still big talented right shot defencemen don't grow on trees these days.

As we have seen with Demko and Schneider the NCAA is producing some fine goaltenders. With this in mind there is Alex Lyon 6'1 200lbs of Yale whose this year record was 19-5-4 with 1.51 GAA, 5 SO and .941 SP. He also this season set the career record in wins for the Bulldogs at 50 games.

As far as money I don't know what it would take but in all seriousness this team needs to get and play bigger (Tanev and Nelson) in the Pacific and as we all know goaltending wins games.

Any other players or money possibilities are up for discussion here.

I'm all for Stecher and Nelson, Lyon will block Demko or vice versa so there is little chance that happens

Tanev won't top out as a 2nd line winger, he is a 3rd liner it everything pans out, but then again we said the same thing about Chris

6 hours ago, Ojibwa72 said:

Just looking at the numbers barring no extension for Prust, Vrbata, Bartowski, and Weber it would appear 9.817 mil is coming off the cap right away. In reading about collegiate free agents available I was wondering how deep we delve into this to attempt to build out of the NCAA. It would appear we have money coming up and there are a few interesting prospects out there.

The first one which we may have an in already is LW Brandon Tanev of Providence College. Already having his brother under contract is always a good thing when attempting to entertain this idea. He is a senior 6'0, 181lbs with 15 goals, 26 points and +20 this year in 34 games. He may only top out at 2nd line winger but depending on term and cost would definitely be a nice option.

Definitely one to chase in my opinion is D Casey Nelson of Minnesota State. 6'2 183lbs right handed shot with 4 goals, 20 points, +15, with 37 blocked shots in 35 games. He is a Junior and could choose to return for his senior year but still big talented right shot defencemen don't grow on trees these days.

As we have seen with Demko and Schneider the NCAA is producing some fine goaltenders. With this in mind there is Alex Lyon 6'1 200lbs of Yale whose this year record was 19-5-4 with 1.51 GAA, 5 SO and .941 SP. He also this season set the career record in wins for the Bulldogs at 50 games.

As far as money I don't know what it would take but in all seriousness this team needs to get and play bigger (Tanev and Nelson) in the Pacific and as we all know goaltending wins games.

Any other players or money possibilities are up for discussion here.

Benning has shown interest in Tanev and I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed. Jim did say he see's him as a 4th liner, that can help on the PK, so looks like he is already seeing where he can slot into the line up, which is a positive sign to me.

18 hours ago, Van 'Nuck said:

How bout Drake Cagguila

Boesers line mate

Very good hockey player only concern I might have is size for the division. At 5'10 and 180lbs might be a little light for the Pacific but Then there is Johnny Gaudreau out there right.

• 2 weeks later...

Cap doesn't matter, I believe they all need to be signed under ELC terms, but the term is variable based on age I'm guessing ?

Think Tanev is out of the ELC range since he'll be 25 next season. which I believe he is waiver-exempt still so would be nice to see him start in the AHL.

Anyways, Tanev because he seems like a dependable speedy Hansen-like maybe with more finish and the brother connection.

Stecher and Cagguila would be nice too seeing as the connection with Boeser but I'd be a bit more resistent on Cagguila since he's small and playing on a very good line in UND.

Stecher would be my #1 choice though, BC guy nice wheels, formiddable shot and great passing

Archived