The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philip Larsen - why so quiet?

X-Man

Why does Jim Benning never mention Philip Larsen as a top prospect?  I remember reading back when they got his rights that it might be difficult to get him because he puts up a lot of points in the KHL, and so is likely paid well already.

I'm not as confident about that as you.  Management has promoted the heck out of anything that could generate interest in selling season tickets, but not a mention of Larsen.  Even our friends on 1040, who are paid to come up with stories to pique our interest, have not talked about him much.  Just wondered if anyone actually knew more about this than what I've heard...

1 hour ago, X-Man said:

Why does Jim Benning never mention Philip Larsen as a top prospect?  I remember reading back when they got his rights that it might be difficult to get him because he puts up a lot of points in the KHL, and so is likely paid well already.

A) His contract in the KHL doesnt end until April 30

B hes 26 with over 100 NHL games so he can't be considered a prospect

C) I doubt he recieves more tha 1.5 million

Larsen I think is going to be a good depth dman. He didn't cost us too much to acquire, and so losing him wouldn't be too much of a loss either. But still hoping that he's going to be a decent pick up for us. 

2 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

A) His contract in the KHL doesnt end until April 30

B hes 26 with over 100 NHL games so he can't be considered a prospect

C) I doubt he recieves more tha 1.5 million

I thought he was 22 for some reason.  And I've searched him up quite a few times. 

Yeah, he's a bit long in the tooth (26 years old and 400+ pro games) to be considered a prospect. And until he gets back over here and shows his stuff on the ice, it's pretty premature to pencil him in anywhere in an NHL lineup.

We really don't know how much (or how little) he's progressed from where he was when he last played NHL hockey. Hopefully he's a better player now than the guy who couldn't seem to stick in a meaningful role on a pretty awful Oilers defense.

But I actually like the gamble. He's really impressed me at times during international play. That said, I literally have zero recollection of him playing actual NHL hockey, even though he has 125 GP between his stints in Dallas and Edmonton, and I surely must have watched him in several of those games.

So that's a concern.

But the player I saw wearing Danish "rød og hvid" is a player who might be able to help this team. He's still a long shot to grab a starting spot for opening night 2016-17, but Larsen should, at the very least, help make the next training camp more competitive on D (and more interesting to watch).

9 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

whether he is good or not, he will prove that, one way or the other when he comes over....i'll wait to see which direction he goes...

Not sure if he's an UFA or a RFA ????

Scouting Report
Assets: Has excellent hockey sense. Moves the puck quickly and smoothly out of the defensive zone and has some offensive ability.
Flaws: Needs to add more strength so as to better adapt to the more physical style of the National Hockey League game, since he's undersized.
Career Potential: Mobile puck-moving defenseman with a little upside.

37 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

We really don't know how much (or how little) he's progressed from where he was when he last played NHL hockey. Hopefully he's a better player now than the guy who couldn't seem to stick in a meaningful role on a pretty awful Oilers defense.

48 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

He's as big of a project as you can get. He's a player who was bad enough to play himself off of the Oilers and plays in a league where Cam Barker is the top scoring defenseman. Not the kind of the player you hype up in any capacity.

Why is this still being repeated?  Larsen was the one who left the Oilers -- he essentially ran out of there after finishing 30 games and was only a -4.  He wanted to return to the NHL now but specifically did NOT want to go back to Edmonton and thus forced a trade.

Archived