The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philip Larsen - why so quiet?

X-Man

On 3/23/2016 at 0:54 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Why is this still being repeated?  Larsen was the one who left the Oilers -- he essentially ran out of there after finishing 30 games and was only a -4.  He wanted to return to the NHL now but specifically did NOT want to go back to Edmonton and thus forced a trade.

Edmonton tried to convert him to being a winger since he was so bad defensively. And that's on the Oilers

• 1 month later...
On March 23, 2016 at 8:33 AM, X-Man said:

Why does Jim Benning never mention Philip Larsen as a top prospect?  I remember reading back when they got his rights that it might be difficult to get him because he puts up a lot of points in the KHL, and so is likely paid well already.

Because he's not a prospect and he's

already played in the NHL before...

He will get signed. Chill

48 minutes ago, Z Hockey said:

Because he's not a prospect and he's

already played in the NHL before...

He will get signed. Chill

yeah. considering how the draft is probably a priority for Benning and his scouts. he's focused on that. after the draft. I can see Larsen being signed. but not until the draft is done and over with. 

On 3/23/2016 at 8:33 AM, X-Man said:

Why does Jim Benning never mention Philip Larsen as a top prospect?  I remember reading back when they got his rights that it might be difficult to get him because he puts up a lot of points in the KHL, and so is likely paid well already.

Does 26 years old still qualify as a prospect?

He hasn't been playing in the Juniors or even AHL, he's been playing in professional leagues in Europe and has played a number of NHL seasons.

No matter what type of season he has for us, even if he lead all D in scoring and +-, he's not going to be mentioned for "Rookie of the Year"

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

yeah. considering how the draft is probably a priority for Benning and his scouts. he's focused on that. after the draft. I can see Larsen being signed. but not until the draft is done and over with. 

Possibly.

Otoh, maybe they're just waiting until Larsen's KHL contract expires.  KHL contracts run through April 30, though teams can agree to release early as was done for Tryamkin.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

July 1st.

Hopefully we will be the (Y) Weber that we always wanted but never got.

Hopefully we don't get another Yannick Weber period. There should be a competition to see who was the worst: Weber, Andrew Ebbett, or Tanner Glass. 

I would assume we have heard nothing because Benning and Co. are not fully sure how they plan to use all our roster spots until they have their scout meetings. Are we bringing in more UFA's to fill hole, signing expiring players, or signing unsigned draft pick to take up those spots. We own Larsens rights now so we have some time to make a decision, just hope something gets done before next season as throwing away a pick is not what we need to do

2 hours ago, Sedinery33 said:

I would assume we have heard nothing because Benning and Co. are not fully sure how they plan to use all our roster spots until they have their scout meetings. Are we bringing in more UFA's to fill hole, signing expiring players, or signing unsigned draft pick to take up those spots. We own Larsens rights now so we have some time to make a decision, just hope something gets done before next season as throwing away a pick is not what we need to do

Some really good points. There is no rush to sign Larsen. Canucks have his NHL rights and the KHL is in serious financial trouble. Being paid in rubles and some players paid late or not at all. There will be a rush of players to sign in Euroland and in the NHL. Benning will wait until he knows where he is drafting and as you suggested sits and reviews with his scouts.

10 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

Hopefully we don't get another Yannick Weber period. There should be a competition to see who was the worst: Weber, Andrew Ebbett, or Tanner Glass. 

well. these guys aren't too end guys right. they are depth players for a reason. Glass, Ebbett and Yannick all provided an element to the team at one point or another.

On 3/23/2016 at 0:54 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Why is this still being repeated?  Larsen was the one who left the Oilers -- he essentially ran out of there after finishing 30 games and was only a -4.  He wanted to return to the NHL now but specifically did NOT want to go back to Edmonton and thus forced a trade.

They also tried to play him on the wing because he was so bad on defense...and that's with the Oilers.  Think of that

2 hours ago, mangosteens said:

Larsen isn't on the Danish national team for the 2016 World championships.  Anyone know why?

Is he hurt or he chose not to participate?  Curious that he would not be selected.

He did have brutal knee-on-knee hit that took him out of the playoffs, so maybe he's still recovering from that? hard to say there's no news on it. I would imagine that passing a physical will be part of the signing process.

I don't think we can take much away from his time in Edmonton, they have mismanaged so many assets its hard to know what's what. This is worth the risk though, and he'll still have to compete for a regular spot. If it doesn't pan out its not like it will be major term or dollars. If Larsen is a dud, maybe Stecher comes up from Utica for a look mid-season. 

Good article today by the hocky writers on Larsen: http://thehockeywriters.com/could-philip-larsen-be-a-darkhorse-for-canucks/

On May 1, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Ihatetomatoes said:

They also tried to play him on the wing because he was so bad on defense...and that's with the Oilers.  Think of that

This doesn't worry me. His defensive abilities and stats last year were actually better than Tryamkin's and that's working out nicely. Who knows what kind of deployment Edmonton tried.

The same scouting team in Europe/KHL that thought Tryamkin was worth trying out is probably the same one advising Benning on this move, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the guy brings. 

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 5:18 PM, Ihatetomatoes said:

Anyone playing Defense in Edmonton looks bad, have you seen how the forwards back check to help out? ...

Bit of a journey man and at 26 years old he's a stab in the dark.

I just wish JB would be more willing to invest serious assets in a solid defenceman as opposed to taking flyers on all these low probability guys like Larsen and Stetcher. Lets make a big play for a stud defenceman instead of trying out all these nobodies.

Larsen could be a replacement for Weber at best.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bit of a journey man and at 26 years old he's a stab in the dark.

I just wish JB would be more willing to invest serious assets in a solid defenceman as opposed to taking flyers on all these low probability guys like Larsen and Stetcher. Lets make a big play for a stud defenceman instead of trying out all these nobodies.

Larsen could be a replacement for Weber at best.

He didnt really have the cap space until this off season to invest in an elite D. Im hoping for a trade or offer sheet on a guy like Barrie

A free agent or trade is what might happen, but I just don't see JB putting out an offer sheet to an rfa. To much incoming grief from a whole pile of folk, even if it is allowed under the CBA.

Archived