The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Philip Larsen - why so quiet?

X-Man

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bit of a journey man and at 26 years old he's a stab in the dark.

I just wish JB would be more willing to invest serious assets in a solid defenceman as opposed to taking flyers on all these low probability guys like Larsen and Stetcher. Lets make a big play for a stud defenceman instead of trying out all these nobodies.

Larsen could be a replacement for Weber at best.

Like Hutton for instance :lol:

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I just wish JB would be more willing to invest serious assets in a solid defenceman as opposed to taking flyers on all these low probability guys like Larsen and Stetcher. Lets make a big play for a stud defenceman instead of trying out all these nobodies.

I agree that Larsen is a lottery ticket. But if you buy enough lottery tickets, sometimes you win. It would of course be great to get a blue chip young D, but that is extremely hard to do.

So I am happy to see Benning trying out guys like Larsen and Stecher. And this year I expect to draft a few Ds, although probably not in the first round. There is probably some chance that Logan Stanley or Dante Fabbro might drop to #33 (although I admit the odds are against it).

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

As above stated, you take homerun swings at players like this and hope you connect. It cost a 5th round pick and the cost of paper and ink for the other guy. Where's the downside?

On 3/23/2016 at 10:36 AM, canucklehead44 said:

Not a prospect, and quite frankly probably not very good. Edmonton fans say he is a poor man's Schultz. 

He as some upside/potential, but at 26 with 125 NHL games under his belt there is not much to hype. 

Edmonton fans don't qualify as authoritative, in my mind.  He looked like a real player before he got traded to a clown show.  He took one look and buggered off.

On 3/23/2016 at 1:03 PM, Mathew Barzal said:

He's as big of a project as you can get. He's a player who was bad enough to play himself off of the Oilers and plays in a league where Cam Barker is the top scoring defenseman. Not the kind of the player you hype up in any capacity.

He ran away from the Spoilers.  Have you ever seen a Dman look good in Edmonton?

On 3/23/2016 at 4:00 PM, DeNiro said:

No point hyping up this guy at this stage.

A Yannik Weber comparison isn't that far off. Weber would probably be putting up similar points in the KHL.

If his defensive game is better than Weber's he'll be an upgrade. But nobody should be penciling him into the top 6.

Except that Larsen was a solid regular in Dallas.  I remember thinking that it was a smart move for Edmonton.  But, when you're that far gone, getting a decent player is only part of it.

On 3/25/2016 at 4:47 PM, Ihatetomatoes said:

Edmonton tried to convert him to being a winger since he was so bad defensively. And that's on the Oilers

Right, cause it's so easy to play solid one-man defense on the Oilers, as a young defenceman.  That's just a joke.  Pietrangelo couldn't play solid D on the Oilers.

On 4/29/2016 at 11:17 AM, N4ZZY said:

well. these guys aren't too end guys right. they are depth players for a reason. Glass, Ebbett and Yannick all provided an element to the team at one point or another.

Not to mention three vastly different roles.  Having the right depth guys is very important though.  Dalpe stands out in my mind as purely detrimental.

On 5/1/2016 at 5:18 PM, Ihatetomatoes said:

They also tried to play him on the wing because he was so bad on defense...and that's with the Oilers.  Think of that

I'm thinking about how dumb and worthless the oilers are.  Was that during the Ryan Whitney era, or the Justin Schultz era?

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Easier to check stats than watch games in Australia?

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

I agree that Larsen is a lottery ticket. But if you buy enough lottery tickets, sometimes you win. It would of course be great to get a blue chip young D, but that is extremely hard to do.

So I am happy to see Benning trying out guys like Larsen and Stecher. And this year I expect to draft a few Ds, although probably not in the first round. There is probably some chance that Logan Stanley or Dante Fabbro might drop to #33 (although I admit the odds are against it).

Yep and in this case, the lottery is not won/lost on pure chance like 6/49. You do scouting and evaluate the probability of winning carefully before buying that "lottery" ticket. So, I have 0 issues with this type of deals and I think it's a lot more exciting to at least buy the lottery than to not because if you don't do anything, you win nothing. Finding stud defenceman is really tough to do unless you get lucky like we might with Hutton and Tryamkin. And we did with Edler and Tanev. 

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

I said it in the Stecher thread > guys like Stecher & Larsen are probably called an experiment? Like Clendenning.

A good experiment.  Add the right components, test in the right situations and we end up with a bonafide PP QB. With a touch of luck, and paired with a big body who can clear the crease / win board battles (Tryamkin / Pedan) > a guy who can retrieve the puck and get it out of the zone before the opposition sets up. So that our big guy does not have to do that. Paired with the right guy, and all situation D who is also an offensive weapon!

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I said it in the Stecher thread > guys like Stecher & Larsen are probably called an experiment? Like Clendenning.

A good experiment.  Add the right components, test in the right situations and we end up with a bonafide PP QB. With a touch of luck, and paired with a big body who can clear the crease / win board battles (Tryamkin / Pedan) > a guy who can retrieve the puck and get it out of the zone before the opposition sets up. So that our big guy does not have to do that. Paired with the right guy, and all situation D who is also an offensive weapon!

If Hamhuis can make Bartkowski look like an offensive force some nights, imagine what he does paired with Stecher or Larsen :) assuming Hamhuis is back of course. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎07 at 3:04 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Man, how many of these shots are rifled above the pads, below the glove & faster than the goalie could blink?

Just what the Sedins need for the PP ... a RH point man who can clearly one time a nice pass at the back door ... think positive think Salo  :lol:

57 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Just what the Sedins need for the PP ... a RH point man who can clearly one time a nice pass at the back door ... think positive think Salo  :lol:

Well, yes!

Salo was also big, and did a wonderful job defensively with his size, reach and stick. I don't expect that from Larsen. Or Stecher, another PP Qb prospect.

We do also need more than just a shot at the point on the offensive blue line. Our current PP simply rotates the puck on the outside. It has no attack whatsoever. Never mind a big Right Handed Shot.  We need a guy who can dance and break down a defender. Jump into the middle. Walk the line & toe drag to set up a shot angle. Then blast it. Or rip passes through the lanes he just created. Our D is begging for a guy with great skills who is a weapon.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎19 at 3:02 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Well, yes!

Salo was also big, and did a wonderful job defensively with his size, reach and stick. I don't expect that from Larsen. Or Stecher, another PP Qb prospect.

We do also need more than just a shot at the point on the offensive blue line. Our current PP simply rotates the puck on the outside. It has no attack whatsoever. Never mind a big Right Handed Shot.  We need a guy who can dance and break down a defender. Jump into the middle. Walk the line & toe drag to set up a shot angle. Then blast it. Or rip passes through the lanes he just created. Our D is begging for a guy with great skills who is a weapon.

Well I wasn't comparing size but watching the video he can certainly unleash a one timer ( difficult skill ) Just playing Devils advocate the Sedins preferred side is the right half board which makes the weakside one timer frpm the point very tempting and hard to defense against, hence why Salo did so well

On 5/7/2016 at 3:04 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

Man, how many of these shots are rifled above the pads, below the glove & faster than the goalie could blink?

Those shots--low down but above the pads--are the hardest to block. Looks like he's good at getting it through traffic, but highlights tend to have that effect. However, the consistency of his placement makes me think he's not a wayward shooter. Helps that he's a RH shot too. 

Archived