The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] SHUTOUT=MATTHEWS #TANKON

numb3r 16

Webkowski  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

sedins were never leaving so there is that .. But yes , I truly wish they would have managed our aging assets better ..  we truly could have moved hamuis or vrbata months into this season and would surely have picked up something worth more than bubkiss 

well...a genius would have gotten rid of them...lol.

6 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

how cool would it be to get mathews ??    truthfully ..  we have never had a player like that before ..    even though it hurts like hell to lose like this I cant help but revel in the excitement of  having a talent like this join our team 

Yeah we've never had a generational talent before other than Bure. When Bure came he changed the whole team. Within one year we became contenders for the Cup. Of course Quinn's shrewd trading also helped us get to that stage but it was Bure who took us over the top. Those back to back 60 goal seasons set us up for a Cup run in 1994 where we almost won it all. Too bad he blew out his knee in his prime. If he had stayed healthy he could have had several more 60 goal seasons with the Canucks and we may have not needed to sign Messier to be our saviour. That knee injury changed our fortunes for the worst for almost a decade. 

As for Matthews he could have a similar type of effect. Not saying he will be a Bure type talent but he could be a legit number one centre who will make all our other young forward prospects that much better. With Matthews and Boeser in the lineup all we would really be missing is a top PMD. That would be JB's final piece to this puzzle. 

22 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The worry is we'll go into a tailspin and shatter the confidence on our younger guys and turn into Edmonton west. Where we get top picks but can't build the right team, and a team that has no motivation. Double edged sword.

Having one or even 2-3 losing seasons picking top 5 would not be the end of the world. Professional athletes are much more grounded about winning and losing than emotional fans are. If our players spirit is crushed by a few years of that then they aren't likely going to ever be mentally tough enough to be long term nhl players anyway. People do not give NHL players enough credit for just how much they are used to facing ups and downs in hockey.

The frustrated players in that scenario will probably be the Sedins, Miller, etc who are older and don't have as much time left to be patient about waiting for things to turn around.

26 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The worry is we'll go into a tailspin and shatter the confidence on our younger guys and turn into Edmonton west. Where we get top picks but can't build the right team, and a team that has no motivation. Double edged sword.

Seriously, people have to quit worrying about the Oilers.  They are maybe one year behind schedule.  Did you see the San Jose game? They got it right.  The only piece they had to add was..get this... Patrick Maroon.  They have five players they can trade for all the character they need.

Thank goodness we will compete when we get the Twinn Finns!!!:)

3 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

I could not agree less.  He has gotten us nothing for our "aging" vets.  If he would have stepped in and gotten rid of all those guys immediately, plus the Sedins, Burrows, Edler, Higgins....All Of Them...he would be a genius.  We would be loaded with picks and young talent...and we would be just about where we are now, with a potential dynasty to look forward to.  But no.. he is just another cookie cutter schmuck.    And yes.... I will be enjoying another rye shortly.

The twins were never going to be moved. I've never spoken to them, but my assumption is that they'd rather retire than play somewhere else. Let's indulge your fantasy for a moment though. Name 5 teams that have the cap space to house them assuming they'd waive to go there. I say 5 because 14 million is hard to come by in cap space. Unless you're the Canucks next season.

Kesler pigeon holed Benning. If McCann turns into something nice then it's a win. Sutter had just a brutal year health wise, but hopefully Bonino for him will look better next year. Hardly call those moves nothing.

Higgins passed through waivers, yeah Benning must be a schmuck for not getting something sweet for that. Burr has an NTC and a high cap hit. He isn't without value, but any team looking to add for a playoff run would like have to go with someone cheaper to make the $ work.

I'm not against moving Edler, especially if it's at the draft as a package for another top pick. 

"Loaded with picks and young talent"

I don't see how any combo of competing teams, or teams with cap space our players would be willing to waive to move to, would have resulted in this winfall of riches.

Enjoy your rye. I'm having scotch, and beer, and doobs.

13 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

Seriously, people have to quit worrying about the Oilers.  They are maybe one year behind schedule.  Did you see the San Jose game? They got it right.  The only piece they had to add was..get this... Patrick Maroon.  They have five players they can trade for all the character they need.

And how to propose we get the two Finns with just one draft pick possibly in the top 5?

13 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

Lol stopped reading at Edmonton is only 1 year behind schedule!  One of the craziest things I've heard in CDC in a while.. 1 year behind the 10 year rebuild plan? Is that what you mean?  

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

The twins were never going to be moved. I've never spoken to them, but my assumption is that they'd rather retire than play somewhere else. Let's indulge your fantasy for a moment though. Name 5 teams that have the cap space to house them assuming they'd waive to go there. I say 5 because 14 million is hard to come by in cap space. Unless you're the Canucks next season.

I dont get paid enough to figure this out...but if I was...I would...LOL Anaheim this year if they didn't get hot

Kesler pigeon holed Benning. If McCann turns into something nice then it's a win. Sutter had just a brutal year health wise, but hopefully Bonino for him will look better next year. Hardly call those moves nothing.

Happy with this

Higgins passed through waivers, yeah Benning must be a schmuck for not getting something sweet for that. Burr has an NTC and a high cap hit. He isn't without value, but any team looking to add for a playoff run would like have to go with someone cheaper to make the $ work.

Had to be done day 1.  Too late!

I'm not against moving Edler, especially if it's at the draft as a package for another top pick. 

"Loaded with picks and young talent"

I don't see how any combo of competing teams, or teams with cap space our players would be willing to waive to move to, would have resulted in this winfall of riches.

Enjoy your rye. I'm having scotch, and beer, and doobs  Good man

Tank or not...

How crappy do you have to be in order to get shutout 4 times in 5 games? 

One of the most embarrassing Canuck moments I've suffered through...

#ImAHorribleTanker

This game featured men against boys.  While the boys should have been showcasing their skills and auditioning for a job next year, instead they went for a leisurely skate in St. Louis.  There was a screen shown with 3.43 left in 3rd. period which showed hits for & against.  It read as follows:  Hits by Vancouver: 12, hits by St. Louis: 33.  This REALLY  tells a story.  Any guesses as to which team won  ??????

By all means Vancouver were short handed because of injuries etc.  However, when the effort is invisible, there is a systemic deficiency.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

That has nothing to do with why we suck and Chicago couldn't sign those players. They HAD to make trades in order to get under the cap.

Chicago trades away young stars for mediocre returns. Imagine if we had Saad and then traded him away? 

Terrible. Look how much better Columbus is with Saad in their line up and how much worse Chicago is without him. Did Toews make Saad or was it the other way around? A succcesful GM knows and a sucker doesn't. Who is the sucker, Chicago's GM or Columbus's GM?? Hmmm. Maybe you sell players when you have built them up above what they really are? And you complain that you are stuck with the salary cap. Poor Blackhawks, can't manage their cap! You fall for that?

3 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Lol stopped reading at Edmonton is only 1 year behind schedule!  One of the craziest things I've heard in CDC in a while.. 1 year behind the 10 year rebuild plan? Is that what you mean?  

Historically a 10 year rebuild isn't completely out of place. It's just that it's happening in a Canadian market. How long did FLA take? Col? Columbus? Winnipeg? NYI?  

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This team needs some established size, toughness, and killer instinct if it hopes to manage in the West. 

There needs to be an example set from the top down regarding "battle level". It isn't there right now. 

Size and toughness are required to win in the West? Where is Chicago's size and toughness? They play no body checking hockey. Is their toughness coming from Toews, Kane, or Keith? Or is it 5'10" Shaw? Did big tough Anaheim crush the soft Hawks last year?

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Historically a 10 year rebuild isn't completely out of place. It's just that it's happening in a Canadian market. How long did FLA take? Col? Columbus? Winnipeg? NYI?  

This is why ownership hired Benning and partly the reason Gillis was fired right? If Benning is a that good of a scouter as people say he is the team might have a very high chance of drafting good players.

Add that with a potential superstar pick this year (whether it's Matthews or one of the Finnish wingers) then it's a pretty good building block for the future.

As for the poll, I chose Bartkowski because of his mom. :D Actually if you add his mom in the poll I'd bet you she'd beat out both Bartkowski and Weber combined.

Archived