The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] SHUTOUT=MATTHEWS #TANKON

numb3r 16

Webkowski  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, the_impersonator13 said:

I know we've had injuries but I have no clue how they could even consider bringing Willie back next season.

I know we've had horrendous injuries to key players but I just ignore them and the fact we have filled our team with projects and rookies out the juniors who are not ready - but I am the type of guy who needs to blame someone for removing the wheels off my bandwagon  so I am going to blame the coach.

There I've fixed it for you.

11 hours ago, Neversummer said:

Back to the scoreless Canucks ... what is your prediction for Sun when Chicago is in town.  Will the team 'come back to life'?  Or remain dead?

Their country club record isn't very good...then again...isn't it about comfort rather than performance...you know the country club feel.

11 hours ago, Green Building said:

You do realize that Benning took over the GM role of a team that was in desperate need of a makeover MG either didn't do, or wasn't allowed to do.  He's moved most of the old roster plugs out who didn't wish to remain, and some that needed to go to make room for people a decade younger. This is what a retool that didn't work looks like when circumstances cause it to evolve into a rebuild. Injuries. Vrbata crapping the bed. Higgins and Burr aging 3 years over one offseason. It goes on and on. The amount of turnover has already been staggering. What the hell do some of you want? Him to turn all of the impending poor prospect pool mess combined with aging NTC players into an immediate Cup contender? I'd have been content with competing, but this wasn't the year.

What am I saying, my apologies. It's clear you don't realize much. 

Winners don't need excuses...all above are excuses...

He has been here two years and was smug at the start of the year that he was building a contender on the fly and was going to compete for a playoff spot...this doesn't concern you?

Fast forward...he's now competing for the worst record in the league...

The worst record in the league was not predictable...but not making the playoffs was predictable after his offseason moves.

8 hours ago, Robongo said:

I agree, except that Benning is very much unproven with drafting , as for the most part, he was dealing with Gillis' guys. Sure Gillis was $&!# for most of his tenure, but he finally seemed to figure it out and put the right people in place before the 2013 draft. Benning heeded their advice the last two years, and only after this draft, fired Eric Crawford ( after two stellar drafts), so we will truly see this after this upcomming draft, Bennings worth in the amateur department.

I would call Benning's pro scouting abysmal but that would not do it justice. It has been a complete and utter failure aside from Baertschi. 

Virtanen, demko and Boesner all say hello.

12 hours ago, coastal1 said:

The Sedins have been around so when we see this:

Daniel Sedin: "From some guys right now, the effort is not there. I think those guys know who they are. I think it’s embarrassing."

You know the lineup full of kids stinks as so many of them don't even understand what it takes to be an NHL player. But like I said, we now have fans cheering for losses so I guess the team is now successful! How pathetic! What do you think Pat Quinn would say if he was alive? Fans hoping for losses! Pathetic. Disgusting.  A total bad joke. This is what hockey has become in Vancouver, fans hoping for losses.

I wasn't around for Canucks hockey in the 80s, but the Vancouver fanbase has always been pretty fickle historically. Fans didn't show up when we were losing. Then, after we had a hint of success, we had bandwagons come in out of nowhere.

We have one of the worst fans in the league, but cheering for the Canucks to lose isn't a BAD thing either. This team needs a major shakeup and the only good way to do it is by tanking this season. I hope that the kids learn from this season and vastly improve for the next one.

8 hours ago, Robongo said:

I agree, except that Benning is very much unproven with drafting , as for the most part, he was dealing with Gillis' guys. Sure Gillis was $&!# for most of his tenure, but he finally seemed to figure it out and put the right people in place before the 2013 draft. Benning heeded their advice the last two years, and only after this draft, fired Eric Crawford ( after two stellar drafts), so we will truly see this after this upcomming draft, Bennings worth in the amateur department.

I would call Benning's pro scouting abysmal but that would not do it justice. It has been a complete and utter failure aside from Baertschi. The absolute terrifying reality that most on here seem to dismiss is that this management legitimately believed that our team, while mostly healthy, would be a 100+ pt playoff team. This assessment did not include the emergence of Ben Hutton. If Ben Hutton wasn't such a revelation, our already pathetic D core would be even more of a joke. While confronted on the disgusting Dorsett and Sbisa deals, Benning brought up that a few of his peers phoned him to tell him how much they supposedly liked those deals. This is so laughable it's almost hard to believe. I'm all for being positive, but this managerial group has given us literally nothing to allow us to do so.

The Canucks are in for a long and painful rebuild, and an utter failure of asset management and subsequent refusal to recognize this failure has doomed us for a long while. You are only as good as the people that you surround yourself with and John Weisbrod is a joke among the hockey world. The constant excuses for this man are nothing short of laughable , however as this concerns a team I love, it is incredibly disheartening. This team needs some major luck in the draft moving forward...

If all it took to be a great GM was to be a great scout than we would see a lot more head scouts being successful. The sad fact of the matter is that our GM is far more passionate and adept at amateur scouting, than he is at basic managerial skills. This fact is extremely disturbing to me, and should be the same to anyone willing to think critically and examine the moves that he has made , his words and the direction that the team is going. Matthews could not even save us at this rate, although he would sell hope for ownership.

You lost all your credibility when you said that our drafting was abysmal under Benning. LOL.

We have more than a few great prospects that are going to be ready for the big show. I'm content about our future.

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And how to propose we get the two Finns with just one draft pick possibly in the top 5?

So you have this splitting headache because you think Horvat is too much to give up for what most consider to be a first line player, or not enough.  Or is it because you enjoy sitting in your little box, undisturbed. 

If it is too much, remember many here consider him to be a 3rd line center.  If it is not enough....that is where the whoever part comes in.  Fill in the blank.

18 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Any pick in this year's top 5 makes those pieces all that much better, too.
Virtanen is a complementary player, not a world beater. But give him talent ahead of him in the roster and he can just play his game. Would love to see this kid on the 2nd or even 3rd line being our wild card when we're back to being competitive. He strikes me as the kind of player that could put up 20-30 goals even if he's not on the top line... secret weapon type, y'know? His physical play will simply not allow him to be overshadowed by our other prospects.

Boeser we have no idea... but he sure looks good. I've already expressed that I might even be hesitant to pick Laine in the draft because of how similar he plays to Boeser. I mean, if we really think Laine is BPA then we'll obviously take him, but I personally think Puljujarvi + Boeser is more dynamic than Laine + Boeser. If we are 1st OA there is no question we'll be taking Matthews (for better or for worse).

Demko looks like our future stalwart. But our tank this year helps him too... because right now he is our top prospect, and it's hard to bank all of your future success on a guy who quite literally can't score goals. Top 5 pick 2016 might usurp Demko as our top prospect, which takes pressure off him more than we think. Markstrom playing so well for us all year makes life easier for Demko too. He can play college, be a kid, learn the right way, etc. and we have no need to harm his development by fast-tracking the kid to the bigs. Though, in my mind, he is pretty much ready; we just owe it to Marky to give him a real chance to roll with it, cuz he's been a much improved player and his potential is creeping in before our eyes.

37 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

All drafted while Gillis' people (Crawford among others) had a huge voice. Eric Crawford was seriously underrated. As I said, we will see moving forward

13 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

Y'know, I don't mind losing. I really don't, but I'd like it a whole lot more if the Canucks actually put in some effort. That effort was appalling. Not one player save Markstrom bothered to show up. Sure I'd like a high draft pick, but that effort was just a disgrace. Come on guys. Man up. 

Sedin talks lack of effort once.

Vancouver talks lack of effort for the next decade.

if I didn't know better, I would call you original.

18 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You lost all your credibility when you said that our drafting was abysmal under Benning. LOL.

We have more than a few great prospects that are going to be ready for the big show. I'm content about our future.

And you lost all your credibility as you've shown to have zero reading comprehension. I said his PRO SCOUTING is abysmal.

we are really seeing how having undersized non aggressive forwards is not paying dividends. We play some of these bigger teams, that just so happen to make the playoffs and we get manhandled.

Pedan is having a rough go compared to his early in season call up, needs to hit more, I was shocked that they sat Biega and kept Weber in. Biega may lack size, but his intensity level is the highest out of all our D, even the twin towers. Biega gives a rough go to any forward competing against him in his own zone.

I really hope Tryamkin bulks up a bit in the summer and somehow we get him angry or to play a more physical game. Was surprised when he went to go hit Tarasenko that VT just shouldered him right to the ground. Some of these Russian scoring forwards are built like freakin tanks ! We need to find one.

The Sedins must be hurt, its a rough slide to the end of the year, I think it should be a busy off season for Benning. He has numerous RFA's to consider either keeping or trying to move them for something. We have to think 1 of higgins or Burrows is gone via trade or buyout. I think both can be moved in their contract year but will require 50% retention.

I wonder if there would be a way to move Miller, thats 6m we could save, get a reliable back up for markstrom and let Markstrom play 50-60 games next year.

This is what most fans wanted, the so called tank, sure we would like to be scoring some more goals, to me Virtanen has disappeared, where is his physical game? It might be best for Virt and McCann to start in Utica, depending on how our off season goes and camp they wouldnt need waivers and could benefit from some seasoning in the AHL.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

You post like we don't fight every night. That's not the case and you know it. We were awful last night I agree but I wonder how much these things are due to a very young (losing)  team playing back to back games and the travelling in between.

A lot of performance issues can be down to the mental fatigue effect on youngsters not used to the constant high level of competition night after night and when you are losing there is not much to lift the spirits. That's why Benning stressed developing young players in a winning environment.

Have you any idea how hard it is for a young team that is constantly losing to put up the same effort as if they were winning?

Benning knew this but the "know it alls" in CDC thought they could lose "Disneyland style" where we could lose every night while still looking like SC finalists. 

Great post, Alf.  A lot of fans are overlooking the bigger picture.  The chain reaction of so many injuries to most of the vets and the subsequent 'raising the bar' on the rookies has had a dismal effect on the team.  Nobody could have predicted the huge amount of injuries this year.

Nobody enjoys constantly losing; especially professional atheletes.  A losing environment has a devasting effect on everyone; especially the young, developing players.

Fans should lower their expectations, stop being so critical of individual players and just ride this mess of a season out. 

It's what it it.

13 hours ago, coastal1 said:

The Sedins have been around so when we see this:

Daniel Sedin: "From some guys right now, the effort is not there. I think those guys know who they are. I think it’s embarrassing."

You know the lineup full of kids stinks as so many of them don't even understand what it takes to be an NHL player. But like I said, we now have fans cheering for losses so I guess the team is now successful! How pathetic! What do you think Pat Quinn would say if he was alive? Fans hoping for losses! Pathetic. Disgusting.  A total bad joke. This is what hockey has become in Vancouver, fans hoping for losses.

The kids are doing what they can as they learn.  I personally am tired of hearing the twins rag on the youth after every loss.  Losses in which they have not contributed offensively either.   There were lot of games this year where the kids were the ones scoring while the Sedins were not.   I understand their frustration but their finger pointing is a major disappointment, justified or not.  This team is facing much adversity right now, the leaders need to lead, not bitch about the guys they are supposed to be mentoring. 

7 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

The kids are doing what they can as they learn.  I personally am tired of hearing the twins rag on the youth after every loss.  Losses in which they have not contributed offensively either.   There were lot of games this year where the kids were the ones scoring while the Sedins were not.   I understand their frustration but their finger pointing is a major disappointment, justified or not.  This team is facing much adversity right now, the leaders need to lead, not bitch about the guys they are supposed to be mentoring. 

After one loss.  It was not whining.  It was pointing out some players were not being professional in their effort to ALWAYS be their best, and to compete every second of every shift.  

54 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

So you have this splitting headache because you think Horvat is too much to give up for what most consider to be a first line player, or not enough.  Or is it because you enjoy sitting in your little box, undisturbed. 

If it is too much, remember many here consider him to be a 3rd line center.  If it is not enough....that is where the whoever part comes in.  Fill in the blank.

You've just answered your own question. He's not enough to get a top 5 pick, now. And you get into a very slippery slope trading young players for young players. We don't need two Finn forwards. We need a better defence. Stopping puck, and scoring chances and springing the offence is what we need. Or does our goals against show we're in it? Maybe go back to your clamshell. Why not two Americans Tkachuk and Matthews? Or Chychrun and Matthews a d man and a centre while we are dreaming? 

Archived