Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

numb3r 16

[PGT] SHUTOUT=MATTHEWS #TANKON

Webkowski  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

54 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

So you have this splitting headache because you think Horvat is too much to give up for what most consider to be a first line player, or not enough.  Or is it because you enjoy sitting in your little box, undisturbed. 

If it is too much, remember many here consider him to be a 3rd line center.  If it is not enough....that is where the whoever part comes in.  Fill in the blank.

You've just answered your own question. He's not enough to get a top 5 pick, now. And you get into a very slippery slope trading young players for young players. We don't need two Finn forwards. We need a better defence. Stopping puck, and scoring chances and springing the offence is what we need. Or does our goals against show we're in it? Maybe go back to your clamshell. Why not two Americans Tkachuk and Matthews? Or Chychrun and Matthews a d man and a centre while we are dreaming? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

After one loss.  It was not whining.  It was pointing out some players were not being professional in their effort to ALWAYS be their best, and to compete every second of every shift.  

Same comments last night after the loss.  so it is twice now during this losing streak.  A streak where the twins have done bugger all to lead the way.

Is this what JB and Linden mean by "mentoring"?  Is this what leaders do? The twins never called out the vets when they were stinking the place out game after game so to hang the kids out now just bugs me.  I've seen plenty of lazy/soft plays by the twins every game but no one ever calls them out.  Maybe the kids see that too and are learning from their captains?

12 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

The kids are doing what they can as they learn.  I personally am tired of hearing the twins rag on the youth after every loss.  Losses in which they have not contributed offensively either.   There were lot of games this year where the kids were the ones scoring while the Sedins were not.   I understand their frustration but their finger pointing is a major disappointment, justified or not.  This team is facing much adversity right now, the leaders need to lead, not bitch about the guys they are supposed to be mentoring. 

yeah, Daniel should keep his mouth shut and play like he preaches! 

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Same comments last night after the loss.  so it is twice now during this losing streak.  A streak where the twins have done bugger all to lead the way.

Is this what JB and Linden mean by "mentoring"?  Is this what leaders do? The twins never called out the vets when they were stinking the place out game after game so to hang the kids out now just bugs me.  I've seen plenty of lazy/soft plays by the twins every game but no one ever calls them out.  Maybe the kids see that too and are learning from their captains?

I didn't hear last night's comments.  Do you have quotes?  Context?  How soon after?  

After reading so many posts about how this team will still be bad next season and Benning was a fool to consider this team might make the playoffs let me say this.

This team was only a couple of wins out of a playoff spot just behind Minnesota and Colorado what, two weeks ago? Take away the last 7 games for both us and Minnesota and we were exactly 3 wins away from the in the standings.

Now let's look at who isn't on the ice for us right now:

Alex Edler: Top pairing D

Chris Tanev: Top pairing D

Luca Sbisa: Bottom 4 D

Brandon Sutter: 2nd line C

Jannik Hansen (just back after a month out): Top 9 RW

Radio Vrbata: Top 9 RW

Marcus Granlund: Bottom 6 C

That's half our D and 1/3 of our forwards. With these players in the lineup there is no doubt in my mind we would not be on a 7 game losing streak. I don't think we would make the playoffs but it sure would be closer. But because of injuries and so many rookies being in the lineup it gives us a real chance at a one off total tank year. It's like the perfect storm for Canuck fans. Can any of you honestly say that this team is a bottom 5 team next year (let's say we get lucky and win Matthews)

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Baertschi - Horvat - UFA

Hansen - Matthews - Virtanen

Dorsett - Granlund - Etem/Gaunce/Vey/Rodin

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Sbisa 

Hamhuis - Tryamkin

Biega/Pedan

Markstrom 

Miller

That's with only 1 UFA addition. There will be trades and roster surprises (maybe another Hutton - sometimes prospects surprise you). 

So just put your feet up and let these last few games glaze over you because next season (barring another catastrophic injury riddled season) won't look anything like a lottery pick.

5 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

yeah, Daniel should keep his mouth shut and play like he preaches! 

Sedins with their usual disappearing act post all-star game when the going gets tough and now throwing young team mates under the bus. 

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You've just answered your own question. He's not enough to get a top 5 pick, now. And you get into a very slippery slope trading young players for young players. We don't need two Finn forwards. We need a better defence. Stopping puck, and scoring chances and springing the offence is what we need. Or does our goals against show we're in it? Maybe go back to your clamshell. Why not two Americans Tkachuk and Matthews? Or Chychrun and Matthews a d man and a centre while we are dreaming? 

Wouldn't that be nice.   Boeser  Matthews  Tkaczuk

You asked how it could be done...I answered.  Bye Bye Bosephus,

5 minutes ago, Losing With Pride said:

Matthews Canucks Jerseys would fly off the shelf.

Sedin-Sedin-Okposo

Lucic-A.Mathews-Boeser

Baerschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Gaunce-Sutter-Hansen

6 minutes ago, Positive Canuck said:

Sedins with their usual disappearing act post all-star game when the going gets tough and now throwing young team mates under the bus. 

Easy to shut down a one line team... But of course the simple minded put the blame solely on the two who carried the team for the last half a decade... :rolleyes:

Unreal the lack of respect two first ballot hall of famers get around here. 

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Well many are getting what they want. 

Take Pedan for example, he was a nightmare out there, he hasn't a clue what he is doing. I don't know if it's nerves or what but many of the impressional adolescents on here were clambering for him, just because he can fight but what good is that when you are pretty awful at the rest of the game. I hope Biega was left out because he was injured because he has 3 times the "go" in him that guys like Pedan, Weber and Bartowski have.

You post like we don't fight every night. That's not the case and you know it. We were awful last night I agree but I wonder how much these things are due to a very young (losing)  team playing back to back games and the travelling in between. The Sedins for example were pretty useless so they weren't much help.

A lot of performance issues can be down to the mental fatigue effect on youngsters not used to the constant high level of competition night after night and when you are losing there is not much to lift the spirits. That's why Benning stressed developing young players in a winning environment.

We are just going to have to play this season out and hope we get a high draft pick and come back next season with a better balance of rookies and vets.

We are getting a glimpse here of what the Oilers brought upon themselves by laying waste to their core and leaving a team with not enough effective experience. It's not much fun, is it? Especially when you are not guaranteed that all these losing nights will bring success.

Have you got the balls for this team to keep losing? Obviously not.

So stop excusing yourself by saying "I don't mind losing" just because you qualify it by saying you need to see effort. Have you any idea how hard it is for a young team that is constantly losing to put up the same effort as if they were winning?

Benning knew this but the "know it alls" in CDC thought they could lose "Disneyland style" where we could lose every night while still looking like SC finalists. Grow up. Losers are losers and most nights they will show why they are losers. 

If you can't live with that this team better start decanting rookies back down to Utica next season and redress the experience deficit.

Well said!  I warned people to watch what they wished for, now the same ones are complaint we are losing after they begged for it lol

24 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's pointless and a waste of your valuable energy to argue with clueless posters, especially when they actually think they know what's going on. Cmon, anybody who thinks Edmonton is just 1 year behind in a rebuild clearly has NO clue what he's talking about..

16 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Personally I think our defence is likely to be pretty strong next season. Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Sbisa, Tryamkin Hamhuis, Biega, Pedan. That may not have the Elite D but it has very good depth and enough to close out most of the league imo.

Where we are lacking is 1st and 2nd line skilled physicality with cutting edge. That is why if we can manage to acquire 2 of the top 4 I would be extremely content. My preference would be Jesse Puljujärvi and Matthew Tkachuk -  or just stick with Mathews.

18 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Easy to shut down a one line team... But of course the simple minded put the blame solely on the two who carried the team for the last half a decade... :rolleyes:

Unreal the lack of respect two first ballot hall of famers get around here. 

...and this kind of thinking is why bad contracts were handed out to Burrows and others...let's reward for past contributions not what is being brought now.

Just because some of us think the Sedins are playing at a much reduced level than in the past and don't agree with them pointing the finger at the youth as a sound ?mentoring? strategy, doesn't mean we don't respect the people they are or what they have meant to the franchise.  

If the Sedins are criticising the youth for their current struggles, they need to be wiling to answer the call for their own performance. When teams are struggling, leaders step up and lead.  Pointing the finger of blame elsewhere - justified or not - is not going to build a team.  The past leaders - LInden, Naslund, Bertuzzi etc.  showed a lot of patience for years while the twins learned to play in the NHL.  It would be nice to see the twins show the same consideration to our kids.

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

...and this kind of thinking is why bad contracts were handed out to Burrows and others...let's reward for past contributions not what is being brought now.

Just because some of us think the Sedins are playing at a much reduced level than in the past and don't agree with them pointing the finger at the youth as a sound ?mentoring? strategy, doesn't mean we don't respect the people they are or what they have meant to the franchise.  

If the Sedins are criticising the youth for their current struggles, they need to be wiling to answer the call for their own performance. When teams are struggling, leaders step up and lead.  Pointing the finger of blame elsewhere - justified or not - is not going to build a team.  The past leaders - LInden, Naslund, Bertuzzi etc.  showed a lot of patience for years while the twins learned to play in the NHL.  It would be nice to see the twins show the same consideration to our kids.

59 points and 51 points, followed by 32 points and spiralling down from there. Nearly 30 point difference from 1st to 3rd in scoring on the team, yeah you're right it's all the Sedins fault :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Well said!  I warned people to watch what they wished for, now the same ones are complaint we are losing after they begged for it lol

It's pointless and a waste of your valuable energy to argue with clueless posters, especially when they actually think they know what's going on. Cmon, anybody who thinks Edmonton is just 1 year behind in a rebuild clearly has NO clue what he's talking about..

They're complaining that the team isn't making the losses 'entertaining'.

While Van fans are all excited about Matthews, Fins, etc., the Oilers already have a player named McDavid, who is by far the superior player.  They also have players named: Hall; Eberle; RNH; Drais; Klefbom; Nurse & Reinhart...all guys that Van fans would be delerious about if they were on the Canucks.  Besides that, the Oilers will likely pick up another 'franchise player' in this years draft.  Along with all these NHL gifts, Edmonton finally has a decent management team.  Next year they make the playoffs.

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I didn't hear last night's comments.  Do you have quotes?  Context?  How soon after?  

From Hank. "This is the NHL and even though we have young guys that's no excuse. If you're here you have to be prepared and play. It doesn't matter who how old you are. The younger you are the more energy you should have."

If Hank expects the kids to play like seasoned vets, he'd better request a trade.  Mentoring these kids shouldn't mean calling them out during this losing streak, especially when the vets aren't bringing anything more than the kids, and that includes the twins.

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

59 points and 51 points, followed by 32 points and spiralling down from there. Nearly 30 point difference from 1st to 3rd in scoring on the team, yeah you're right it's all the Sedins fault :rolleyes:

Did I say it was all their fault?  No. Read my post again.

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

They're complaining that the team isn't making the losses 'entertaining'.

While Van fans are all excited about Matthews, Fins, etc., the Oilers already have a player named McDavid, who is by far the superior player.  They also have players named: Hall; Eberle; RNH; Drais; Klefbom; Nurse & Reinhart...all guys that Van fans would be delerious about if they were on the Canucks.  Besides that, the Oilers will likely pick up another 'franchise player' in this years draft.  Along with all these NHL gifts, Edmonton finally has a decent management team.  Next year they make the playoffs.

Yup.  It's not just getting top five picks, IT IS THE YEARS YOU GET THEM.  There need to be great players in the draft.  Last draft, which we missed out on getting a chance at the generational players due to Benning's "retool" philosophy, and this draft look great.  The next one is not as good.  Yet 2018 looks good again.  That's why teams need to draft high several years in a row.  Some drafts are better than others.  

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

From Hank. "This is the NHL and even though we have young guys that's no excuse. If you're here you have to be prepared and play. It doesn't matter who how old you are. The younger you are the more energy you should have."

If Hank expects the kids to play like seasoned vets, he'd better request a trade.  Mentoring these kids shouldn't mean calling them out during this losing streak, especially when the vets aren't bringing anything more than the kids, and that includes the twins.

Maybe Hank and Danny heard the same message from the vets, when they were really young?  

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Personally I'd say he's saying that the youth need to play better which is true but also, just because of the youth in the lineup that doesn't excuse the vets to be struggling as well. 

It's not quite as black and white blaming the young guys if you look at the whole comment. 

McCann has struggled, Hutton has had a bad string of games, Tryamkin is adjusting, Bo has been up and down Virtanen has been inconsistent, but improving. 

As for the vets Burrows has had a bad year, Hamhuis has struggled before and after injuries, Edler has been average at times Higgins was sent to Utica.

I find it funny how the Sedins speak out and get heavily criticized for it, yet when Naslund was captain all we ever got around here was whining about how he never said anything...