The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] SHUTOUT=MATTHEWS #TANKON

numb3r 16

Webkowski  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, NHTyrany said:

So what are you hoping for: the team wins all remaining games and picks 14th? Let's face it, a top 3 is better odds than 14th. I'd gladly give up the entertainment for the balance of the year for a top 3 pick. Next year will be a different story regardless what happens for the balance of this year. It is what it is.  

The worry is we'll go into a tailspin and shatter the confidence on our younger guys and turn into Edmonton west. Where we get top picks but can't build the right team, and a team that has no motivation. Double edged sword.

26 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Good analysis. I have no problem at all with anything that you said. However let me add that JB's two UFA signings last July were Weber and Bartkowski. Did he do that to make himself look better this next summer? Is there another explanation? Do team really make themselves better by overpaying past-their-prime players, also known as UFAs (eg, Sekera in Edmonton)?

I could be wrong but I think Weber and Bartkowski were just one year fill ins to round out the D. They both were signed for under $2 million and we were right at the cap after they were signed. I guess we could have gone after Franson with that money but I don't think he would have been a better choice really and he signed for 2 years so we would have been stuck with him another year while Weber and Bart will be off the books this year. I don't recall there being any better options in the UFA market last year for D under $2 million so I guess JB felt that Weber and Bart were the best of the bunch. As I recall Weber did have a good year for us in 2014-2015 and everyone seemed to like his point shot on the power play so I guess that is why JB took a shot at Weber again for another year. As for Bart he knew him from his Boston days so he probably felt he could add a spark at the back end with his great skating ability. 

Weber and Bart ultimately didn't work out but the bright spot is that they are off the books now and they helped us with the tank to ultimately get the big prize in Matthews...

2 hours ago, coastal1 said:

The Sedins have been around so when we see this:

Daniel Sedin: "From some guys right now, the effort is not there. I think those guys know who they are. I think it’s embarrassing."

You know the lineup full of kids stinks as so many of them don't even understand what it takes to be an NHL player. But like I said, we now have fans cheering for losses so I guess the team is now successful! How pathetic! What do you think Pat Quinn would say if he was alive? Fans hoping for losses! Pathetic. Disgusting.  A total bad joke. This is what hockey has become in Vancouver, fans hoping for losses.

I think we kinda get you're point. How many more times are you going to make it? Tank on!

33 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Man this team sucks right now. Just completely lifeless and leaderless. Sorry, but neither twin is putting forth any kind of effort to write home about. 

I think they'll request a trade this offseason. 

The Sedins said they were fine with an influx of youth. If they're not interested anymore, I sure as hell hope they speak up. 

Man this team sucks right now. Just completely lifeless and leaderless. Sorry, but neither twin is putting forth any kind of effort to write home about. 

I think they'll request a trade this offseason. 

Well I guess that would open up spots for Matthews and Stamkos then...

31 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

That is certainly a huge cause of today's problems and terrible team. Can this be corrected by JB in a few years? Zero chance. This will take time, lots of time.

Right, that's what I'm saying.....have some patience. 

Glad we agree. 

4 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I could be wrong but I think Weber and Bartkowski were just one year fill ins to round out the D. They both were signed for under $2 million and we were right at the cap after they were signed. I guess we could have gone after Franson with that money but I don't think he would have been a better choice really and he signed for 2 years so we would have been stuck with him another year while Weber and Bart will be off the books this year. I don't recall there being any better options in the UFA market last year for D under $2 million so I guess JB felt that Weber and Bart were the best of the bunch. As I recall Weber did have a good year for us in 2014-2015 and everyone seemed to like his point shot on the power play so I guess that is why JB took a shot at Weber again for another year. As for Bart he knew him from his Boston days so he probably felt he could add a spark at the back end with his great skating ability. 

Weber and Bart ultimately didn't work out but the bright spot is that they are off the books now and they helped us with the tank to ultimately get the big prize in Matthews...

I always viewed those D signings as stop gap with medium potential. I actually expected a bit more from Bart because of his good skating, but the reality is there were 2 spots open on D and Franson (who I was vehemently opposed to) is just as bad as either of them at playing defense without taking his $$$$ into account. I'd love to hear who people would have preferred JB sign or place into the lineup. Options were limited.

32 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Yea except all 3 spots are lotteries and you can easily finish 30th and end up with the 4th overall pick instead of being guaranteed the 2nd if you lose. You have to WIN the lottery to get the top 3 spots and and top 2 have a 50% chance of landing a top 3 pick whereas 3-6 were all pretty much equal around 15-20%.

We could easily see 3 teams that finish no where near the bottom getting the top 3 picks.

Understood. Ok well run the draft simulator 100 times and see how many times that happens where ALL 3 bottom teams finish out of the top 3. Report your findings to us....

This team needs some established size, toughness, and killer instinct if it hopes to manage in the West. 

There needs to be an example set from the top down regarding "battle level". It isn't there right now. 

Lucic should fix that. Not to mention a full year of the Russian Bear...

how cool would it be to get mathews ??    truthfully ..  we have never had a player like that before ..    even though it hurts like hell to lose like this I cant help but revel in the excitement of  having a talent like this join our team 

1 minute ago, Lulover88 said:

how cool would it be to get mathews ??    truthfully ..  we have never had a player like that before ..    even though it hurts like hell to lose like this I cant help but revel in the excitement of  having a talent like this join our team 

Shhh! There's people out there who don't understand that and think the Sedins can produce well into their 50's. Don't interrupt their dream with some alternate scenario. 

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

You do realize that Benning took over the GM role of a team that was in desperate need of a makeover MG either didn't do, or wasn't allowed to do.  He's moved most of the old roster plugs out who didn't wish to remain, and some that needed to go to make room for people a decade younger. This is what a retool that didn't work looks like when circumstances cause it to evolve into a rebuild. Injuries. Vrbata crapping the bed. Higgins and Burr aging 3 years over one offseason. It goes on and on. The amount of turnover has already been staggering. What the hell do some of you want? Him to turn all of the impending poor prospect pool mess combined with aging NTC players into an immediate Cup contender? I'd have been content with competing, but this wasn't the year.

What am I saying, my apologies. It's clear you don't realize much. 

I could not agree less.  He has gotten us nothing for our "aging" vets.  If he would have stepped in and gotten rid of all those guys immediately, plus the Sedins, Burrows, Edler, Higgins....All Of Them...he would be a genius.  We would be loaded with picks and young talent...and we would be just about where we are now, with a potential dynasty to look forward to.  But no.. he is just another cookie cutter schmuck.    And yes.... I will be enjoying another rye shortly.

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The worry is we'll go into a tailspin and shatter the confidence on our younger guys and turn into Edmonton west. Where we get top picks but can't build the right team, and a team that has no motivation. Double edged sword.

I understand the concern but think of it this way. Team confidence would likely be better next year with a huge top 3 asset and some free agents vs. a project in A and some free agents. If the last few games have a major bearing on youth confidence for next year, they are too fragile and not the youth that should be on roster next year anyway. 

2 hours ago, ftmN said:

Trying to find something positive out of this game outside of the standings. Markstrom making a few big saves is about it, trying to think of anything worthy mentioning about any youth.. not today. Tank away!

Hansen played well. Dangerous as always.

Just now, clam linguine said:

I could not agree less.  He has gotten us nothing for our "aging" vets.  If he would have stepped in and gotten rid of all those guys immediately, plus the Sedins, Burrows, Edler, Higgins....All Of Them...he would be a genius.  We would be loaded with picks and young talent...and we would be just about where we are now, with a potential dynasty to look forward to.  But no.. he is just another cookie cutter schmuck.    And yes.... I will be enjoying another rye shortly.

sedins were never leaving so there is that .. But yes , I truly wish they would have managed our aging assets better ..  we truly could have moved hamuis or vrbata months into this season and would surely have picked up something worth more than bubkiss 

Archived