Stamkos

Discussion: 2017 NHL draft

Rate this topic

25 minutes ago, TheRocket18 said:

Were pretty small. Draft the big c.

Casey Mittelstadt

No brainer if he's still available when we pick (assuming we're not getting top 2)

1. Fills potential 1c void - Allows Bo to play the role of Kesler to Henrik (if CM tops out where he can)

2. 1c who can outright fly, and more importantly is very creative and great puck distributer from the middle - something we lack in our system (no "henrik" coming). Said to make players around him better.

3. 6'1 200lbs already - will fill out even bigger - perfect size for the C role in the west

http://thehockeywriters.com/casey-mittelstadt-makings-of-a-star/

Edited by BaerBoBoeser
  • Upvote 3

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=302228

Benning, get yerself summo meat n potaters!

EEMELI RÄSÄNENpronounce_large.png   Finland 40.png  

Open print friendly window (pop-up) views: 18459

BIRTHYEAR 1999-03-06 BIRTHPLACE Joensuu, FIN
AGE 18 NATION Finland
POSITION D SHOOTS R
HEIGHT 200 cm / 6'7" WEIGHT 93 kg / 205 lbs
YOUTH TEAM Jokipojat CONTRACT 17/18
NHL DRAFT Prospect eligible for the 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Edited by Mathew Barzal
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=302228

Benning, get yerself summo meat n potaters!

EEMELI RÄSÄNENpronounce_large.png   Finland 40.png  

Open print friendly window (pop-up) views: 18459

BIRTHYEAR 1999-03-06 BIRTHPLACE Joensuu, FIN
AGE 18 NATION Finland
POSITION D SHOOTS R
HEIGHT 200 cm / 6'7" WEIGHT 93 kg / 205 lbs
YOUTH TEAM Jokipojat CONTRACT 17/18
NHL DRAFT Prospect eligible for the 2017 NHL Entry Draft

He had a strong showing at the top prospects game. Don't think I'd use a top 10 on him though

Vilardi & Glass look like good targets if we can't get a top 2 pick. 

Vilardi would be my preference as it stands now, could have really high upside, although Glass is a smart player who is strong on both sides of the puck and he's producing at a great rate. Could have understated upside aswell.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

If we dont pick in the top 5 and Elias Pettersen is available. Do we go with Dahlen's team mate in Timra or a  north american boy like Cody Glass or Michael Rassmussen? 

It would be interesting to see if they can produce at the pro level here in north America like they did in Swedens second league. I saw Cody Glass play live and was the best player on the ice. Kid has some great vision and plays down low in his own end as good as anybody in the dub. Top priority should be a big bodied centerman for our first pick and a right handed offensively minded dman for our next pick. Cal Foote foots the bill as a mid to late first rounder. I hope JB can make some magic by acquiring another first rounder someway somehow.

On 3/12/2017 at 5:21 AM, BaerBoBoeser said:

Casey Mittelstadt

No brainer if he's still available when we pick (assuming we're not getting top 2)

1. Fills potential 1c void - Allows Bo to play the role of Kesler to Henrik (if CM tops out where he can)

2. 1c who can outright fly, and more importantly is very creative and great puck distributer from the middle - something we lack in our system (no "henrik" coming). Said to make players around him better.

3. 6'1 200lbs already - will fill out even bigger - perfect size for the C role in the west

http://thehockeywriters.com/casey-mittelstadt-makings-of-a-star/

After Patrick and Nico.... I'd pick Mittelstadt 3rd overall.  Big talented Centre.  That is what our team needs.

3 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

After Patrick and Nico.... I'd pick Mittelstadt 3rd overall.  Big talented Centre.  That is what our team needs.

Ya, and he's starting to move up the charts, getting worried! LOL

On 3/12/2017 at 1:54 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

Amazing this year how all of the rankings differ fairly significantly after about the top 7 or so.

Yes, I think the first round in general this year you're going to hear alot of 'gasps' and who? Will be alot of off the board picks as there isn't much consensus after #1 and #2

1 minute ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Agreed... NJ can't win these days and likely he'll end up there or Detroit.

Detroit has 2 games in hand on us - I think they'll pass us,it will come down to us vs dallas and NJ for that third to last spot - but given what it did to us last year, maybe we want 5th to last anyways? sigh

Hischier could fall down to 4 potentially. So let's not rule him out! Alot of scouts putting middelstadt at 2 or 3 now. 

Didn't realise Vilardi was so young, about 1.5 PPG in the OHL for an underager at 17 who is only going to get bigger is pretty damn good. He's my pick if we miss on Patrick/Hirschier/Liljegren

If we draft 4th overall, then it becomes the big question, which Centreman do you we go with, which is a Benning type player?  Middlestadt or Vilardi?  Both are intriguing prospects, I hear more about Middlestadt here then Vilardi.  A few online mock drafts have the Canucks going after Elias Petterson but if the Canucks pick him that high, would probably PO the fan base considering who is available.  Trust in Benning on this one. 

Imagine if he went with Liljegren though, a future backend of Juolevi and Liljegren along with our current defensive young guns in front of Demko!!  His vision is to build from the back end out but its a toughie, we need that 1C if it isn't Horvat.

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Just curious, why not Michael Rasmussen?

hes literally only a PP producer as far as i know, doesnt produce much at even strength

On 20/03/2017 at 0:43 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Just curious, why not Michael Rasmussen?

He is in my opinion 15-25 range. He moves well and has great hands with size but the potential is limited. I see him as a bottom six. We need skills r high end potential

• Upvote 1